Sean Casey - VORTEX2

Mythbusters uses the "warning scientific content ahead" or whatever, I'm sure a similar disclaimer could be used so the countless masses could turn away from their TVs in horror. Plus, people like magic and big words.

Yeah I think a more technical show would be really appealing to us, but not to enough of an audience to get any sort of ratings. My wife, who is not into weather at all really enjoys the show. I suspect if it was a very technical show a lot of folks would keep flipping the channel. If they can't get the ratings, and then the advertiser support they can't produce the show.

I still think Hi-tec should sponsor Reed... get him some real man shoes. :D

Someone had mentioned it earlier in this or in another thread about Discovery evolving like MTV had and was no longer what it used to be. This is so true. Much of the programming on channels like Discovery, TLC, History, etc. have moved away from the documentaries to scripted shows that focus more on storylines than actual information about the subject. This appeals to the greater masses, which increases ad revenue and generates more cash...and keeps them viable when everyone is fighting for less and less viewers who are being taken away by all the different things that can occupy our time now (internet, on-demand movies, etc).

I know this has been hashed out in other threads, but I don't expect anything more out of Storm Chasers but to be entertained by a show about a hobby I love. I don't care much for the mis-representation of the facts by the show itself (it makes V2 look like a thorn in the TIV's side), but if I didn't know any better it wouldn't even be an afterthought.

Discovery is caught in the middle in many of their shows of depicting the reality of the topic and creating something that is exciting and interesting to the masses. For Storm Chasers the majority of the people watching have never been on a chase or have any interest to. They watch for the drama of it all. If Discovery were to stick to the reality of storm chasing and depict things exactly as they are, hours, days, weeks of clear skies at times, unfortunately the masses would tune out and the show would be off the air.

So on the positive side in putting together a show, drama and all, that the masses want to watch, I think its great that meteorology and tornado research can be brought to the forefront of public awareness. This will help in future funding of research projects and maybe inspire people who would have never considered meteorology as a career or hobby to get involved. There is also the downside of too many uninformed people thinking that what they see on Storm Chasers is what its all about but you take the good with the bad.

I applaud Sean for setting the record straight here. Reed, Sean, Josh and the rest knew what they were getting involved in when they agreed to do the show. For many people, there can be a good guy, a bad guy, some drama, an entertaining show. Then they can move on to their next soap opera without giving it too much more thought. For those who are truly interested in these people, and what they are out there doing they should take what they see on the show with a grain of salt, and realize that they aren't getting the whole story.

Looking forward to your film Sean, keep up the good work!

The thing is, I don't think you have to portray the downtime or get into synoptic analysis. Just give me a wide angle shot from outside the storm every now and then. Use a proper radar overlay and show where everyone is on the the map. Something to provide a little perspective. Briefly describing supercell structure at a third grade level of writing wouldn't hurt either. You can do these kinds of things and still have an exciting, but more credible show.

MythBusters often delves into physics and chemistry that, while basic, probably would go over most viewer's heads. But they present the information in a simple and engaging way. Why can't Storm Chasers be the meteorological equivalent?

Because if they taught real science, the true value of the rocket launched toy brigade would become public knowledge.

PS I'm buying a myself a dog muzzle for Christmas and using it liberally next year!

Hey Sean, from what I am hearing/reading you got the footage to finish your IMAX film, am looking foreward to seeing it.

Will you still continue to chase/shoot film/video next year?

Hey Sean, from what I am hearing/reading you got the footage to finish your IMAX film, am looking foreward to seeing it.

Will you still continue to chase/shoot film/video next year?

You will probably get your answer sometime next year. Sean only visits this forum when he has to. Really wish he would visit the forum more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because if they taught real science, the true value of the rocket launched toy brigade would become public knowledge.

Wait, so you mean to tell me we can't increase warning times by flying remote controlled aircraft and dropping parachute probes into tornadoes??

BLASPHEMY :D

You will probably get your answer sometime next year. Sean only visits this forum when he has to. Really wish he would visit the forum more.

I like how you open up with a dig at Sean, and then in the same post say you wish he would come around more. Please tell me I'm not the only one to get a chuckle out of that. :D

I like how you open up with a dig at Sean, and then in the same post say you wish he would come around more. Please tell me I'm not the only one to get a chuckle out of that. :D

I never said I wish he would stay away. I simply stated that he doesn't come around much, but wish he would. Most of the time he only posts when something happens that may hurt his image. He used to post more, but that has come to pass. Hope that clears things up.

I had asked Sean a few days ago if he planned on chasing next year even though he's done with his Imax Film he said "I will keep chasing. Have some plans in the works that are pretty exciting..." then of course, because he responded someone else jumped on the wall post and said thanks for me....seriously get tired of people doing that, maybe if you don't post on their wall or email them 24/7 they'll actually talk to you??? :mad: sorry to get off the chasing subject :)

Back