Sean Casey - VORTEX2

Brandon, I know what you mean buddy!

Just to make it clear, I have nothing against Sean. He has never done anything to me, but I was just making a statement that he doesn't show up much around here. I guess maybe I can understand since he is busy with everything. Seems like lots of folks are dropping off the ST planet nowadays.

I personally think ST has improved over the past several weeks, that's my take. If a few members get pissy and leave for whatever reason, that's their loss.

I agree. ST has gotten better the last month or two. Not knocking anyone in particular, but if you leave, that's your choice. Yeah, sometimes I get annoyed by a few members here, but this is a big community, and we are all different. I'm sure I get annoying sometimes, and for that, I'm very sorry! Please don't leave!!!;)

I love ST and enjoy reading everyone's posts. To me, it's about everyone who is here, not everyone who is not. I learn so much and have a lot of respect everyone involved...being able to participate with fellow chasers is such a privilege. If folks choose not to participate that's fine, but they are missing out on a great group of people, regardless of personalities.

I agree. ST has gotten better the last month or two. Not knocking anyone in particular, but if you leave, that's your choice. Yeah, sometimes I get annoyed by a few members here, but this is a big community, and we are all different. I'm sure I get annoying sometimes, and for that, I'm very sorry! Please don't leave!!!;)

Hey I joined back in April and lacked interest....but some reason Stormtrack has become more fun for me :) makes me want to visit more often.....

Hey I joined back in April and lacked interest....but some reason Stormtrack has become more fun for me :) makes me want to visit more often.....

Yep, Stormtrack is a great place to have fun, meet new people, and learn all at the same time!

If you're a storm chaser it's even better!:D:D

The thing is, I don't think you have to portray the downtime or get into synoptic analysis. Just give me a wide angle shot from outside the storm every now and then. Use a proper radar overlay and show where everyone is on the the map. Something to provide a little perspective. Briefly describing supercell structure at a third grade level of writing wouldn't hurt either. You can do these kinds of things and still have an exciting, but more credible show.

MythBusters often delves into physics and chemistry that, while basic, probably would go over most viewer's heads. But they present the information in a simple and engaging way. Why can't Storm Chasers be the meteorological equivalent?
Exactly.
Simon and Justin on " Storm Riders" explain and educate. Their program is fun and exciting. If they don't need fake excitement and drama, why should Storm Chasers"?:)

All-

I am posting this on behalf of Josh Wurman. Josh has put together a pdf document echoing some of the comments Sean had, but in much greater detail. I won't be adding any other comments or answering lingering questions, as this does not pertain to myself.

Click here for pdf

-Justin

Thanks, Justin. I missed this the first time.

Maybe Wurman's statement, in conjuction with Sean's post, will give the 13 year olds who are screaming for the good Doctor's head on a pike pause for thought. :rolleyes:

This whole issue only makes the Discovery editors look like bigger jackasses. I can appreciate 'dramatic' editing, blaring music, the necessity of stretching the truth a little to improve the show, but what Disc have done goes WAY too far. Tim S. states (on Doswell's blog page) that he basically refuses to read the script that's shoved in his face. Now Sean and Josh both make it perfectly clear that what you've seen on Tee Vee bears NO relationship with what actually happened. Like Mike said, SC has become just another reality generic reality/soap-opera mess. It's really kinda sad how TV constantly strives to butcher and distort the truth in its never ending quest for ratings. :(

Last edited:
Wow, apparently I haven't been paying attention to what's been going on in the community the last several weeks. This has been a very interesting discussion regarding V2, TIV, Discovery, etc. Call me crazy, but I am for the idea of scraping the show Storm Chasers all together. It seems that ever since this show started up, it has been nothing but drama for the storm chasing community. Science research was never designed to be on a reality TV show with people yelling and screaming to each other. It's supposed to be done carefully without the constant interference of cameras and production crews.
  • If you want to get good footage/photographs of severe weather for your website, fine.
  • If you want to go out and collect data for severe weather research, fine.
  • If you want to go out and just enjoy severe weather for just pure recreation, fine.
However, let's stop with this polarization of storm chasing and return this activity to the American past time we all remember it to be.

Unfortunately, this is the way it is in today's "TV" society. How boring would it be if Operation Repo never had any drama. Just back up and tow the car away. To make it interesting, the owners pull guns on them, break bottles over their heads...and it's all scripted to up the ratings.

I've been away and just got around to reading all this SDS drama. I must say that I am sooooooo very glad I've turned down every request to become involved with reality TV. In a fact, my biggest gig last year involved a corporation insisting on using someone not affiliated with reality TV in an effort to preserve their corporate dignity and reduce an obvious liability risk from unprofessional behavior or eventual bad publicity.

As I've always said, nothing good will come from mixing "induced, competitive drama" and chasing. Sooner or later fate (statistic probabilities) will run out and tempting fate will kill the golden goose.

W.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back