Sean Casey - VORTEX2

Sean,
Thank you for posting this clarification. I'll admit I was angry when I read about the incident and then frustrated with Wurman after watching that episode of Storm Chasers. Even though I felt I didn't know the whole story.

After reading this, it's cleared a lot of questions I've had and showed a side of Wurman I have never seen which I am glad to see. Watching the show, it does seem a negative light is cast upon Wurman. However, after knowing what I know about the entire incident, I just came to tell myself we're all human and we all make mistakes. It what makes us all human.

What I really want to say I really admire the strength of you and your team, especially after the rough year you all have faced. My heart goes out to you all. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see your film. I just wish I could be out there with you guys. Take care and keep doing the great work you guys do.

Sean, thank you for taking the time to come on here and post this message. Unfortunately with television, it's all about ratings. Granted Ronan is trying to make a living too, but they could use disgression like they did with Reed and Joel.
It's unfortunate thatV2 was dragged into the mud with that episode. It just shows you the couch dwellers that think the show is 100% real like the TIV. I will admit that after Josh going on TWC with his interview with Bettes that a lot of us were annoyed with him and V2 was the butt of several jokes.
But after seeing their preliminary results that were released earlier this fall, i think the Vortex2 project was a great project to have happened. There were a lot of great people involved and they got outstanding results.
I think the film and V2 are both great projects to have happened. It's unfortunate that the tv fan base reacted negatively to the episode. I fully support Sean Casey and wish him the best with his film.

*Disclaimer: I am a moderator for the TIV Fan Page on Facebook. My opinion here does not reflect that of Sean Casey.

GO TIV!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, etc... The whole season of Storm Chasers is what, 8 episodes? And if you cut out the time commercials occupy then cull the recaps and teaser for the next episode you are left with maybe 40 minutes of content. There's no way you can accurately portray complex human interactions and the chase itself for a whole chase season in those eight 40 minute segments. Hell, I've lived with my wife for 16 years and I still haven't figured her out.

And I'll never understand the qualitative vs quantitative part of our thinking that allows one faux pas to trump a multitude of good deeds. I'm not preaching, I'm as guilty as any of you. I think we can safely say most of us don't know Sean, Josh, Reed, or any of the others any better than we did before this show aired. It's entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't necessarily believe that the chaser community blames Dr. Wurman and the V2 team for what happened, this honor seems to fall on the hordes of youtube heroes who know little of the subject and believe everything they see on TV. Ultimately the exposure that you received on the show and the massive amount of hits generated when the video was aired turned this entire mess inside out. I don't think such scrutiny would be fair under normal circumstances but when you choose to be in the spotlight as such, you must come to expect that this stuff will happen.

What happened on May 19th was unfortunate, but it will happen again, probably many times in the years to come (and for as long as Storm Chasers remains on the air). I hope that a lesson was learned by everyone, although I feel for Sean and his team having to be the public face of this problem. A problem in which tons of chasers have contributed to over the years, whether they will admit it or not. I know I will be monitoring the possibility of convergence on all future chases and doing my best to pinpoint a target away from the masses. It's the only solution I see to some of these high risk days.

I am glad that an arrangement was made before everything turned into an even bigger mess. I do wish that the Discovery Channel (production crew) would do a better job of sorting these things out and not portraying everyone in such a poor light, but thus is the nature of modern media.

Don't forget everyone...while Discovery is the network it is shown on, don't leave out the producers/editors/videographers at Original Media. Discovery may have creative input and such, but Original Media (and different from Original Productions from Tornado Road fame) are the main folks that film and edit the show. I can't speak for the show itself, but many field producers and videographers on these projects are often contracted...not permanent employees. But someone close to the show may be more specific.

Thank you Sean for the clarification. I suspected there was much more (and less) going on than was shown through the creative editing of a reality television show. I am amazed at some of the comments by folks out in Facebookland and other places that take the events portrayed literally. Good luck with the film editing as I will definitely watch the show this spring with my wife.

Bill Hark

Sean Although you are explaining this to many of the Chasers. I think you need to direct your message on your blog, website, and facebook. I would imagine it's the wednesday night couch jockeys threatening rather than the actual chaser community(I however cannot speak for everyone, but that is my assumption).

I completely agree with Mike here, Sean you should find out a way if possible to appeal to those who aren't just in the chaser community, but also those who are fans of the show, because most of us chasers have gotten the point that Storm Chasers is a TV Show not showing everything that goes on, I'd also strongly suggest appealing to the Audience of "Storm Chasers" who are not storm chasers.

This is a funny topic. I meet people who believe everything they see on this show - that your entire 80+ hour week has been reduced to one hour (less with commercials) and that Hollywood surely captured all of the important events. Really? They believe the relationships portrayed are accurate. It is a freaking reality TV show - drama is made up- worked up - enhanced. Half truths are told (which become truth according to others)

It is ironic that they call it reality TV.

Josh must be proud that his entire life's work is being summed up by a reality TV show who has chosen to portray him in a negative light (at least at times - portraying him in a negative light). Obviously - Joe Blow - looks at Josh as the enemy of Sean.

It is ironic that they call it reality tv. There isn't much realistic about it.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have to admit, I was extremely irked by last weeks episode and was upset about the way Josh was acting towards the TIV and its crew. I should have known it was just another crappy TV show blowing everything out of proportion. Call me a causality of the war on truth. While I love the idea behind Storm Chasers, it has definitely put a bad taste in my mouth lately.

In a perfect world where money is not a problem, Josh and Sean chase storms in a floating pirate ship.

I didn't see a problem with what you did. If you could see over the hills like you said, you were risking a ticket if you got called in, maybe a field sobriety test for operating left of center, but that is all. Would I do it? Hell no. I would have immediately picked another storm or gone home after seeing that traffic jam.

Tune in next year when Dr. Wurman becomes the TIV2's driver.

Don't forget everyone...while Discovery is the network it is shown on, don't leave out the producers/editors/videographers at Original Media. Discovery may have creative input and such, but Original Media (and different from Original Productions from Tornado Road fame) are the main folks that film and edit the show. I can't speak for the show itself, but many field producers and videographers on these projects are often contracted...not permanent employees. But someone close to the show may be more specific.

The producers are editing the show to make it more "entertaining" just like they do with the Discovery show Deadliest Catch. They feel the need to make it more exciting and introduce a little drama to keep people hooked so they come back and watch more.

Granted I have not been on as many chases as most of the members here have been, but I have been on quite a few starting over 20 years ago. I liken it to fishing, for someone that is not involved sitting there watching someone fish can be boring until they get a fish on the hook and the fight to bring the fish in begins. It's the same with storm chasing. For the general public who have never been on a chase, they don't understand the time involved that isn't the adrenaline rush on the edge of your seat chase, when the chaser is watching and waiting for initiation. So the producers of the show try to keep things interesting to keep the viewers attention.

I personally would love to see them focus a bit more on the non chase part, showing what is involved in the decision making proccess as to which storms to chase etc.

Thanks Sean! Josh is occasionally edited as the "bad guy" on the show which is a shame because his entire life/career revolves around increasing weather info that'll HELP the entire population. How can Discovery and the makers of Storm Chasers allow him to become the villain? As much as I love the show--the though process behind editing in that direction is mind numbing.

As a side note-- I'm truly hopeful that we're getting closer to seeing your IMAX movie released soon. I can never find info on it and it looks ready to me. And once you do release the movie, remember.. there's always part 2 that'll need to be filmed. :)

I don't believe they need to introduce the drama the keep things interesting. I think a bunch of reality TV producers are involved who don't really know how to do anything else. Even in the presence of a fantastic storm, we're still getting pointless reaction shots, disjointed and outright inaccurate footage, and still more manufactured drama.

It has been my experience from years in television and trying to get Warnings published that the MSM (and I include book publishers and television producers in MSM) believes there needs to be a "villain" in everything. Two different NY agents wanted me to add a couple of global warming chapters (even though the book isn't about global warming at all) to get "tension" as well as a villain.

There really seems to be a lack of original thinking in today's MSM.

The tornado is all the villain Storm Chasers needs.

I don't believe they need to introduce the drama the keep things interesting. I think a bunch of reality TV producers are involved who don't really know how to do anything else. Even in the presence of a fantastic storm, we're still getting pointless reaction shots, disjointed and outright inaccurate footage, and still more manufactured drama.

The tragic truth is that this also applies to local, national and cable television news. If one is ever involved in a news story and sees how it winds up being portrayed, the issue becomes obvious.

It has been my experience from years in television and trying to get Warnings published that the MSM (and I include book publishers and television producers in MSM) believes there needs to be a "villain" in everything. Two different NY agents wanted me to add a couple of global warming chapters (even though the book isn't about global warming at all) to get "tension" as well as a villain.

There really seems to be a lack of original thinking in today's MSM.

In the end, there is only one thought that rules: what will cause the public to spend more money?

Back