Robert Dewey - Imminent snow?

Well, here I sit with close to a foot of snow on the ground. I got lucky enough to stay under the mesoscale band for 4-6 hours at 2 inches per hour. The snow is letting up just a bit with visibility now just below 1/2 mile, but looking at radar and other data, I wouldn't be surprised to see and additional 2 more inches or so... Which would bring me to 14 inches. The snow is so fluffy and dry, if we do get any wind it will very easily blow around...

It's interesting, other stations around me are reporting 6-9 inches, so I guess I got lucky :eek: I'll post some pics a bit later.

Well, here I sit with close to a foot of snow on the ground. I got lucky enough to stay under the mesoscale band for 4-6 hours at 2 inches per hour. The snow is letting up just a bit with visibility now just below 1/2 mile, but looking at radar and other data, I wouldn't be surprised to see and additional 2 more inches or so... Which would bring me to 14 inches. The snow is so fluffy and dry, if we do get any wind it will very easily blow around...

It's interesting, other stations around me are reporting 6-9 inches, so I guess I got lucky :eek: I'll post some pics a bit later.

It's not fair. :cry:

Here in NW IL we are under a blizzard warning. We have recieved about a half inch of snow mixed with sleet last night. Winds are gusting to about 40mph. There is barely anything to blow around. I'm just sitting here laughing at not only this pathetic excuse for a winter here so far, but also the NWS blizzard warning for our immediate area...

BTW, we haven't even had 10" for the season here yet, while areas just NW, SE, NE, and SW have had well over 20". VERY frustrating.

A few changes here in Kitchener since my discussion with Robert and Bill last night:

Temp: -18°C
DewPoint: -21°C
Humidity: 73%
Wind: NE26 km/h gusting to 46km/h

And we are under a heavy snowfall warning, however, falling snow is light but steady. Winds have also picked up since last nite and we currently have about 2 inches (guessing :oops: ) of new snow. It is safe to assume that the clipper managed to overcome the dry air layer we had here based on the small gap now between temp/dewpoint and increase in RH?

Warning Summary

Be well, TR

Well, I can safely say we don't have that much on the ground here, but according to my "deck-o-meter" we are closing in on 4 inches now. The golden horseshoe area (Niagara Falls, round the bottom of Lake Ontario to Toronto) is getting mucho more overall, and locally some locations are getting dumped on due to squalling. Still snowing here, but happy doppler indicating a easing soon.

Be well, TR

EC Exeter

You should have seen it, I also had a wind gust of 52MPH as that "cell" blew through!

Thanks to your post, I stood outside for about five minuites with my wind anemeter in my hands! :?

Lol.

Holy cow, we've gotten a load of snow here, probably somewhere around a foot in Roseville. "Blizzard Conditions" still exist around the area; with wind gusts said to approach 40 mph. Well, I'm going to work in a few minuites... with my life in my hands! :wink:

..Nick..

Here is the photo... We got near a foot of snow, and the winds have started to pick up a bit...

NWS original forecast posted yesterday was for a blowing snow & snow advisory with 4-7 inches possible. That was upgraded to a winter storm warning for 5-9 inches, then up again this morning for 6-10 inches. What gets me is the duration of the snow, which only lasted about 5 hours. If this storm would have been just several hours slower, we would be talking about 12 to more than 18 inches of snow... As far as recent storms, this barely exceeds last years surprise clipper snowstorm, and it's a few inches under what we got back in 2001 when a blizzard struck my area. For the January 1999 blizzard, we had about 13 inches, so this was close (though, the 1999 event seemed to be of longer duration, and local areas picked up close to 16 inches, I happened to be in a localized minima).

[Broken External Image]:http://www.waveformpc.com/SNOW.JPG

Snow has reached New Haven – when I sat down at my computer about an hour ago there was nothing, but now the streets and sidewalks outside my apartment are covered with a surprisingly substantial coat of snow. This could be a big one, definitely. The thing is, yesterday at this time we were looking at a significant snowfall, maybe 6 to 12 inches, but nothing approaching the seriousness of the blizzard that now looms. My question is, what exactly is it that changed between then and now? What caused all those upgrades in the forecast? Is this a case of the models simply underestimating the magnitude of the storm, or is there some specific feature of this system that wasn’t discernable until the last minute?

Back