Rapidly Declining Quality on Storm Track

Please keep this thread to DISCUSSION rather than picking at each others punctuation and spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mixed feelings about this topic. I am one of the "old school" members that needed to apply, write an essay, and show my chase work to join the club. I was totally honored to be made a member-- really excited about it.

However, as a new member, I definitely noticed that the discussions here seemed heavily controlled and less lively than on other boards-- except perhaps among a very small core group (which I was not part of as a newbie and someone with a relatively small body of chase work). I gradually stopped posting here and instead invested my blogging energy on a mainstream, less exclusive board where the post quality wasn't as high but peers would actively and enthusiastically engage in my threads.

Coming back here months and months later to see the new setup, I was initially surprised-- it seems like a different place entirely. I agree the post quality has gone down. But the atmosphere feels perhaps a little more open-- so maybe that's a good thing. I guess there are pluses and minuses to either approach.

The bottom line is that I see both sides of this coin.

P.S. On a side note-- since we're specifically talking about how the place is run-- I was pretty disheartened to submit some nice case study work about six months ago for inclusion on the Library page and simply get no response-- not even a simple rejection-- despite repeated, very polite follow-ups. Linking to the work of enthusiastic members is not only a way to make them feel valued-- it also brings value to to the community. And all of that aside, it's easy to do. I never understood what happened with that, but it was another thing that dampened my initially huge enthusiasm for this community.

As for quantity of posts, there is a clear reason why. The tornado chasing season's been dead since June 2005. No cause for concern. The tropical forum seems to be doing quite well with the recent WPAC activity.

I don't see much of a reason for a concern in quality of posts. I read this board every few days. All seems well, IMO. I have no idea why grammar has to be picture-perfect. This is not a formal scientific group or a scientific debate. It's just a message board. I mean sure, forgetting to turn off the caps lock key, or a broken caps lock key, that gets irritating. But as others have stated, a simple polite PM usually does the trick.

The essay was a bad idea from my point of view. First of all, no one is going to check the crudentials. Waste of time and work. Second of all, people are not going to be attracted to a board with such strict rules. It's human nature. In fact, I left right after the essay was implemented. I am probably the youngest member here (I haven't even began learning how to drive). I didn't feel like I was part of the group, even though I am overly obsessed with severe wx. It was not until September did I PM Jeff Snyder on another board, and he told me the essay was removed. It was not until then did I return.

As for quantity of posts, there is a clear reason why. The tornado chasing season's been dead since June 2005. No cause for concern. The tropical forum seems to be doing quite well with the recent WPAC activity.

I don't see much of a reason for a concern in quality of posts. I read this board every few days. All seems well, IMO. I have no idea why grammar has to be picture-perfect. This is not a formal scientific group or a scientific debate. It's just a message board. I mean sure, forgetting to turn off the caps lock key, or a broken caps lock key, that gets irritating. But as others have stated, a simple polite PM usually does the trick.

The essay was a bad idea from my point of view. First of all, no one is going to check the crudentials. Waste of time and work. Second of all, people are not going to be attracted to a board with such strict rules. It's human nature. In fact, I left right after the essay was implemented. I am probably the youngest member here (I haven't even began learning how to drive). I didn't feel like I was part of the group, even though I am overly obsessed with severe wx. It was not until September did I PM Jeff Snyder on another board, and he told me the essay was removed. It was not until then did I return.

What you call "human nature" is actually your personal preference. :) I feel quite opposite than you regarding the essay: it made me more interested in joining, because I liked the idea that such a requirement would filter out junk posters and enforce a quality standard. Most people who are really passionate about a topic are totally cool to write a short essay about it. I am sad to see that requirement go-- I feel it made the place special and unique. On the other hand, as I mention above, the exclusivity had its drawbacks.

Just because someone rights a nice, formal essay does not mean a greater post quality. They could easily lie. Now, you do have a point about it making ST perhaps "looking" good. Others who are passionate about weather, of course, could disagree, and take it the opposite direction. Elitist, overly strict, mean, weird, those could be some of the words they would be thinking. It's human nature to want to be free to join in discussions without any "proof" that they are worthy to join in. I agree, that as with everything, the essay has its pros and cons.

I think the biggest opposition is the crudentials for the essay. I have heard that only if one was a chaser, that they could join the board. Don't know if that was true or not.

Just because someone rights a nice, formal essay does not mean a greater post quality. They could easily lie. Now, you do have a point about it making ST perhaps "looking" good. Others who are passionate about weather, of course, could disagree, and take it the opposite direction. Elitist, overly strict, mean, weird, those could be some of the words they would be thinking. It's human nature to want to be free to join in discussions without any "proof" that they are worthy to join in. I agree, that as with everything, the essay has its pros and cons.

I think the biggest opposition is the crudentials for the essay. I have heard that only if one was a chaser, that they could join the board. Don't know if that was true or not.
You talk of essay writing as if it's a bad thing-- a bitter pill. What is so bad about it? Many-- especially chasers who like to write about and document their experiences-- actually derive pleasure from essay writing. Perhaps you don't, but for many, it is a pleasure-- another channel of expression.

Anyway, I don't think it's a matter of writing a "formal" essay-- it's a matter of taking the time to write about what makes you tick as a chaser and displaying your passion. Yes, someone can make it up-- of course-- but why? Why would someone even waste the time?

Do you dismiss the idea of essay writing across the board? Many would consider a written essay the best window through which to evaluate someone. I remember having to write essays to get into college. Could I have lied in those essays? Yes. But the admissions folks have to go on faith that the applicant actually wrote their essays and that they're telling the truth.

I see no harm in membership quality standards-- and I think they can exist in a friendly, constructive environment. I am not sure Stormtrack has found that optimal balance, but I certainly believe it's possible.

Morning all.

Figured I needed to voice something in this matter. When I joined this board however long ago, it was all about helping each other out with helpful tips, posting quality reports/pictures on your chase for the day, selling items other may find useful, and so on. I know boards go through changes and such, but good lord. Let us lay off "brow beating" each other into the ground.

All of us on here need to make sure when we post something in the Forecast section, it needs to be of high quality and not just random chatting. If not, just hold your peace. We all love weather here. That is why we all joined the board in the first place. But choking down the forecast section just isn't right. Take me for exampe. I haven't posted in the Forecast section in quite sometime. Why? Because I have nothing to add of any value. Yes, I am interesed in the topic and may have done something to be involved with it, but if there is no value or sense in the post, I find no reason to post it.

IMHO we just need to keep it friendly, make sure we help someone who may not be posting correctly, and try to keep this board a nice place to visit.

Good day to all

Nick

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. So let’s get off our high heross and get back to dcsisiunsg the wtaeher or ahytnnig else. We all know rilazee who the eliitst on the baord are. If you are hiavng a tough of a tmie wtih gmarmar on the net, I sgesugt you log off.

Jcak Crlsan

This thread is really grating.

I don't post here a whole lot, and it's because of posts exactly like the posts in this thread.

"What he said!"

It's ironic that this rapidly degenerating thread provides a fine example of the very issue it attempts to address. :rolleyes:

The OT noise doesn't bother me so much as the sniping that goes back and forth. I guess bored storm chasers are a cranky, pissy bunch, eh?

Poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation are here (and everywhere else) to stay, I fear. IMO, if someone can't be bothered to compose a coherent sentence, it's unlikely they have anything meaningful to say. "Scroll wheel, don't fail me now!"

I dunnow about membership requiring a whole essay, but a paragraph or two discussing a prospective member's weather background, chasing experience (not required, IMO, except as a guage of interest), and future chase plans doesn't seem at all out of order. I suspect the issue boils down to moderator time vs. the volume of applications. I'll volunteer to help screen noobs if it will help.

My 0.02 - (And that don't buy much these days! :D )

-Greg

p.s. - "Slaps Jack C. with a large trout!"

I know what stormtrack needs. It needs ...

I guess it is nice that in the end we'll all survive and 2007 should not be any worse than 2006. I just hope st remains more open than closed when it comes to how and what people post and how or why they are even on here.

And if I blasted "you" in something I said on here...just push the F5 key. lol

A standing ovation! (The crowd goes wild)

Back