Target Area Rules - New

I do agree watches, warnings, etc., should not be posted in a forecast thread. However, there are some historically significant events that do warrant a "now" thread, as there use to be. I certainly plead guilty to posting about reports of chasers being hit by a tornado, or the historical and unusual long-track debris registration. It's easy to forget that ST is not a "news" source like social media and very few people come here for such information.

I do agree watches, warnings, etc., should not be posted in a forecast thread. However, there are some historically significant events that do warrant a "now" thread, as there use to be. I certainly plead guilty to posting about reports of chasers being hit by a tornado, or the historical and unusual long-track debris registration. It's easy to forget that ST is not a "news" source like social media and very few people come here for such information.

It's okay to post what would have been "NOW" discussions, graphics, and other discourse in an EVENT thread as it unfolds, provided that the content otherwise follows the rules (i.e., you are including original information, adding to the discussion, or otherwise giving relevant verbiage that adds to the flow of the thread).

I do think everyone realizes no approach will make everyone completely satisfied, but it definitely was confusing to many members having 3+ formats for discussion. The EVENT thread allows the discussion of a forecasts leading up to the event to morph into other general discussions during and after the event, with meteorologically relevant chatter too, of course, while keeping REPORTS sacrosanct for chasing briefs. The majority of feedback given at the time was that this format was less confusing. Understandably, however, some who have been around longer probably prefer the old method because we become acclimated to what we're most familiar with from the get-go.

Back