Odd Chase Encounters/Stories

Nothing really stands out in my mind except once when Jeff Wear and I were headings towards Amarillo a few years back. I had fallen asleep for a bit in the front seat, when I woke up, cleared my eyes and noticed we were about to pass a cattle trailer. Something within the trailer didn't look quite right as one bull seemed to be much higher than the rest. As we passed and was able to further inspect what was happening, we realized that it was nothing short of what you might expect if someone made a bovine prison film. Nuff said 'bout that.

Ever the dead-pan comic, Jeff just shrugged it off and mildly said, "There's something you don't see everyday."

Regards,

Mike

On June 6 this year Kurt Hulst, Nick Grillo and I were looking for Scott Olson's house late at night in Brookings, South Dakota. It was past midnight and I had driven straight from St. Louis to Hastings, NE and then to SD virtually nonstop except for a short safety nap.

We were looking for Scott's Mazda truck which was supposed to be parked outside. When I first heard Kurt say it I heard 'monster' instead of Mazda so at first I was driving around looking for a monster truck. Despite thinking how strange that was.

Marc's bird story reminded me of our infamous turkey encounter on June 4 last year. The story's been told many times on here, but basically we hit a turkey hard enough that it knocked the wx-station off the roof of the car. Luckily, we were in a group and the others stopped to help us put it back on (it didn't come completely off obviously, but slid backwards and ended up resting on the rear windshield). The most "odd" thing about it was, the turkey apparently walked away from the incident, as we never saw it after it hit the car.

Another one I thought of was April 21 last year. We had two flats that day on separate occasions, the second one coming after we ran over debris from our second tornado's damage path. We put the donut on, then continued into Pittsburg to look for a replacement tire. As it was well after 8pm, we all knew we were searching in vain, facing the very real situation of driving 250 miles back home at around 55mph because of the donut. The only place we saw that we tried to get a tire from was a Goodyear distribution place, because we saw a truck and a car parked outside with its lights on. Turns out the truck was just delivering a load, and while we were there, a second car pulled up to the one already there. It was a man who was letting a woman out (the parked car was hers). We asked them if they knew any tire places still open, which they didn't, but they did point us to the local Pizza Hut for some grub. The woman was very kind, and offered to let us stay the night at her place so we could get a full-sized tire the next morning for the trip home. We graciously declined, because we had work the next day. We decided to get some Pizza then limp home.

While we were eating, our waitress walked up to us with a phone. She asked if we were "the storm trackers", to which we replied "yes". The phone call was from a service tech at the local WAL-MART, who told us we could come by after we were finished eating and get a new tire. So when we were done we went to Wally World to get the new tire, despite the fact the service area had been closed over two hours. And what's more, they gave it to us free. The only explanation for all this was the nice woman we'd met drove to WAL-MART and told them of our delima, then guessed we'd still be at the Pizza Hut and gave the Wally World tech the number. This is definitely the coolest (and oddest) example of the general public's kindness towards chasers in need I've ever experienced.

During the 2004 season My partner David and I hit a total of 14 birds 1 snake and 1 armadillo.

During the 2005 season I think my total bird count was 5, with 1 snake on May 7th (bustola). Then a drive back to OKC with Micky P. in front and Shane/Jo/Chad in the back. Nick and I were in the middle. Micky hit the Armadillo first then I and I think Chad finished him off. Later that night as we were almost back to Norman I don’t know what it was but it looked like a telephone pole or a roll of carpet. Chad was in front this time and he hammered it and it took out his front tire. I just hit it but nothing happened to my tires. That was a total of three tires for Chad that season I do believe.

Also on May 12 before Nick and I headed to the supercell in TX we were west of Woodward OK. Nick wanted to watch a line of storms for a few so I parked on the side of the road. He got out set up his stuff in the middle of the road of course. And without remembering to put the car in park I got out, and the car started to roll away. It only went about 10 feet before I got back in and stopped it. That was a good laugh and I think Nick caught most of it on tape.

Edit
Dan you didn't tell me that you thouhgt I said Monster truck that got me ROFL

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
Later that night as we were almost back to Norman I don’t know what it was but it looked like a telephone pole or a roll of carpet. Chad was in front this time and he hammered it and it took out his front tire.

I was driving and Chad was asleep...until impact, LOL. Also, it not only took out Chad's third tire of the season, but his first rim as well. :shock:

Whilst on our 2 week chase vacation to the Plains last year, my gf Helen, and our friend Graeme were making the very long drive from Ponca City, OK, to Valentine, NE, on May 19th, ready to head to NW S Dakota on the 20th. We didn't leave Ponca City until near 5pm, so it was pretty late as we turned west on 20 in O'Neill. As we got a few miles west of town, we decided to stop to swap drivers. As we did so, we noticed the aurora in the northern sky. At the same time, we noticed 3 crosses in a small field, which were covered in lights. Nothing strange yet.

However (and remember this is around 2am), an old pick-up pulls up and a guy leans out the window and asks if we're OK. We replied that we were, and we were just watching the aurora. He said, "that ain't the aurora; that's the lights from the old manure plant", and then let out the creepiest guffaws of laughter we've ever heard.

He then drove off up the road a few feet, but then turned around and pulled up on the grass verge next to use, asking if we wanted to "burn some" (I think he wanted a race!). We drove off, with him doing a massive wheelspin in the grass. However, he got onto the road and chase us, and then overtook us! He slowed right down, and when we tried to pass, he then sped up again. This freaked us out somewhat, and we just slowed to a crawl. After another couple of minutes, he pulled into a side road, and we passed (at a rather rapid rate!), and saw nothing more of him!

We then stopped about 10 miles along the road, and watched one of the most amazing auroras that we've ever seen!

Here is my story of St. Anthony's Church...

A line from the litany of Saint Anthony of Padua happens to read...
From thunder, lightning, and storms, St. Anthony deliver us. I am not Catholic...but I can still find that interesting.

St. Anthony’s of the Desert, a church in Scottsdale, Arizona, sits at 130th St. and Shea Blvd., where town starts dissolving up the side of the McDowell range and finally changes into open desert. Isolated among the cactus and a rugged saddle-shaped landform, St. Anthony’s Church is high enough to afford a view of distant city lights, and oncoming monsoon storms as well. A few years ago, I used the church parking lot one night to photograph CGs as they moved in from the south, and was able to pull this shot.
StromWired.jpg

In July 2004, a similar electrical storm was pummeling the saddle-shaped mountain again so I headed over to St. Anthony’s to try for the CGs. Only this time, I was driving around in total darkness because the power had blown so all the streetlamps and the city lights were out (a good thing for lightning photography). However, I missed St. Anthony’s driveway in the darkness and pounding rain.

Rather than doubling back, I opted for a patch of dark desert near a small side road called 128th St., about 1/4 mi from the church, and began to set up for some pictures from inside my vehicle, as rains were heavy and lightning was everywhere. I remember noting that my car clock read 1:00am on the nose. It was late but even after hours of chasing, there was still a lot of action, and I always work the storms until they are done. I never know when the next big night will come.

At this point, the monsoon storms were really throwing down some solid CGs all over the desert. The lightning was quite fierce. I worked it until its swan song, and finally when it quieted for good, I headed for home.

The next morning in the paper, I couldn’t believe my eyes. At precisely 1am, St. Anthony’s of the Desert Church had taken a direct hit from a lightning strike. The lightning bolt hit the steeple, traveling down and burned a hole in a hymnal that was sitting on the altar. Had I been there as planned, I would have had a mind-blowing shot, but in the process, might have jumped clean out of my skin! Luckily, the church was in one piece, I was in one piece, and despite some damage to the sanctuary, Zeus’s best effort couldn't take the church down.

So what is with St. Anthony? Massachusetts 1997:
Two hours later, storm clouds rolled into New Bedford. A neighbor watched in horror as a streak of lightning split the sky, striking the brass atop the church. As the highest point in New Bedford, the spire of Saint Anthony had taken direct hits many times before. This time, the lightning did not race harmlessly into the ground. The cable grounding the rods had broken, and it had not occurred to Father Levesque to check it. Now the unchanneled lightning bolt sparked a fire under the slate roof. A New Bedford firefighter who happened to be standing near the church quickly called in the alarm, and engines arrived within minutes. The blaze was confined to the roof and, amazingly, did not spread. "It was as though there was this protective hand," Patricia DeAndrade says.-Adoremus.org

And what would be a more fitting name for this hospital?
From www.stanthonyhosp.org located in Denver, CO.
St. Anthony Central Hospital serves as headquarters for an international resource studying the effect of lightning on the human being. The Lightning Data Center (LDC) was founded in 1992 by Drs. Michael Cherington and Philip Yarnell, in association with St. Anthony Hospitals. It unites individuals from medical, scientific and related professional fields, as well as the public to explore natural lightning phenomena and issues.

If the lightning ever gives me a fright, I guess a little saint protection couldn't hurt!

Great story Susan! Thanks for the post!

I remember on May 15, 2003 in Shamrock Texas, during the outbreak in which the Dalhart/Amarillo area tornadoes occured, we ran into some very interesting people in a truck stop. I remember going into the truck stop to look at the most up-to-date radar imagery. While we were there, we were approached by several locals, but one man, in particular stook out. He looked as though he were ready for a rodeo. I mean, this man was Pecos Bill if I've ever seen him. I know there are cowboys in Texas, but I never imagined how real they were until this night. He asked us if we were looking for tornadoes and we told him yes as we were about to leave the place to head west and try to intercept a storm nearby. He told us "If yall had some extra room I'd like to go with yall" of course we didn't have any room. Then he said, "Hell... I'll even sit up top if you give me somethin' to hold on to." after which he let out a very loud "yeee haww!" toward the darkening skies. He was one of the most interesting caricatures I'd ever met.

One night in 2004 we ended up somewhere to the south/southwest of Wichta, Kansas on a beautifully structured and highly electrical supercell. There were still more than a few chasers following it too.

We had pulled off to observe the storm, as had a few other people, it was quite the show. We had set up tripods and such and after a little bit these two guys that fit every down home description of a red neck you have ever heard Jeff Foxworth mention!

One of them came up and started talking to me. He proclaimed that he was out chasing for the NSSL. That they had called him out to chase this, and went on and on about chasing for the NSSL. Of course, their appearances not withstanding, I knew that obviously the NSSL didn't call them or anyone else out to chase that storm and he was full of BS.

Well, it was time to wrap up and change locations, and they headed back and jumped in their 2 door car, which I couldn't see real well, and we headed out. At our next stop, there they were again, and he was back over there trying to impress me with all of the chaser lingo and wx jargon he had learned, although he hadn't bothered to learn the proper context of it all and was all over the place with his "explainations" of why the storm was doing what it was doing etc etc. It was about all we could do to keep a straight face.

We wrapped up again and moved to a third location, and of course they followed. By now I was starting to get annoyed and finally took the opportunity to tell him what I did for a living and showed him my press ID. He never said another word! Seriously! He backed out and stood close by quietly. We were in two vehicles that day and decided that we needed to ditch them so they didn't follow us again, so we quickly devised an elaborate manuver that would have made the Duke boys proud, which long story short we ended up hiding behind a large construction barricade on a curve while they zoomed on by.

We enjoyed chasing for the next hour or so with no site of them, and ended up somewhere in southwest Wichita under a gas station canopy waiting out the hail and downpour. And sure enough here came our new buddies.

It was only then I got a real good look at their car under the lights. I nice newer model Chevy Impala, with about 4 antennas on it, and the words across the bottom of it in HUGE letters that said "TWISTER EDITION".

We never laughed so hard that day, but even funnier was when a local spotter and his wife took shelter there with us and they were over there telling them about the tornado probes they were going to put out for the NSSL!!

To this day, I still laugh about that. :lol:

I just thought of another odd chase story from the 2004 chase season. I remember we had been parked at the same gas station for about 30 minutes. We were trying to pick the best area for storms to pop. Looking at satellite data and wind profiles. We were basically just sitting there wasting the time away until something interesting happened. Well something interesting did happen and it had nothing to do with the weather. We were just sitting there reading the data from the laptop computer when all of a sudden, someone was knocking on our window. So I rolled the window down and it was a middle aged woman who had apparently been in the gas station. She asked us what we were doing, and we told her we were storm chasers from out of state. So she started talking with us about recent storms and the like. Then she asks us again to make sure we weren't lieing or anything. So she left and went back into the gas station. We went back to our analysis. Well then she comes back again and asks us to roll down the window. And she says something like, "If yall are spyin' on me, I can call and have the police out here in a flash. If you're invading my privacy, I can get you all in trouble." I guess it was just a superstitious local who saw the antennae and assumed we were doing some kind of covert operation, but to be honest, I was curious what she was hiding. Anyway, she wasn't convinced until we finally showed her our laptop and the radar and all. Then she realized we weren't out to get her. Just one of those crazy stories about crazy people.

Finally, I get to chime in! :)

Let's see...

We once got cussed out and run off by an irate homeowner when our tires barely touched the grass in front of the ditch in front of his home. He walked all the way out to the road in the heavy rain to point out the mess we had apparently made (the ditch?) of his "front yard". Of course we left without any real argument - no harm done.

Last year, we passed a crew of prison inmates working on the highway in northwest Arkansas. Nothing strange about that, but they were actually wearing wide black and white stripes (like in cartoons!) and were chained together to an old "paddy-wagon"-type vehicle. Reminded me of O Brother Where Art Thou.

We also had a guy in Roswell NM tell us New Mexico never has tornados. New Mexico, he explained, occasionally has weak rotating columns of air that sometimes reach the base of clouds, but never extend all the way up to the jet stream. The jet stream? How many tornados do that? Perhaps some?

Well, I have better ones, but I'll have to think awhile. Don't worry Marc. I'll spare you the embarrassment. :shock:

Back