*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

Hello all, my name is Marshall Barkow. I'm 23 years old and I've lived in central Kansas all my life and have loved severe weather since I first experienced it. I've chased storms since I was out of high school, but only within like 50 miles and with my knowledge of looking for hooks and rotation on radar. The past 2 or so years I've become more interested in the forecasting side which involves A LOT of learning as I've come to realize. I wish I had the funds for meteorology school, but I don't. So I try my best to teach myself. If anyone has any pointers or good books, websites, links, radar apps, or any resources, I would love to know about them. I'm all ears as I genuinely love severe storms. Please don't be shy if you have any tips involving forecasting, chasing, or just want to talk weather. I'm very interested in learning all I can. Thank you for letting me join.

Hello,

My name is Patrick and I currently live in the Southeast US. My educational background is not in meteorology. Rather, it is in mathematics and I've worked pricing insurance and reinsurance for many years.

I first became interested in severe weather about 10 years ago when I moved to Arkansas. At that time, I was suddenly confronted with a much greater frequency of outbreaks of supercells. More unusual for me still, these outbreaks would often happen during the winter months. I began learning more and more about severe weather, until the SPC's high risk day on 4/27/14, where a powerful supercell dropped a long-track EF4 tornado less than 5 miles from my location. After that, I began learning much more, especially in regards to utilizing forecast tools and understanding the finer points of forecasting specific severe weather hazards.

My interest is topical, I am not a storm chaser and do not plan to be. I do, however, enjoy the photos posted here in the "REPORTS" threads, in particular good photos of supercell structure.

After moving to the SE US, I have of course become interested in tropical weather as well, and have taken a similar arc in terms of educating myself. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that I enjoy the perceived simplicity of forecasting tropical systems relative to severe weather.

Lastly, is it possible to support the forum/server? If so, how?

I look forward to engaging with everyone here,
-Patrick

Hi all-

I've just joined this forum and the Tampa Bay spotter network. I look forward to learning from everyone here.

Like many people here, I've been obsessed with severe weather since I was a kid. I live in Brandon, FL and want to try to help out if I can do so. I'm a software engineer and definitely not a weather pro or expert. I just love storms.

Hello! My name is John, and I currently reside in Grimes, Iowa. Ive been lurking various discussion forums on this site for a few years now, and absolutely love the level of expertise within these discussions. I got my interest in meteorology from my grandfather (Conrad Johnson, who was the Chief Meteorologist at WMT in Cedar Rapids, IA back in the 70's. Some folks who lived in eastern Iowa at that time might remember him) He was extremely knowledgeable and I learned a lot from him.

While I am trying to slog my way through the technical aspects of severe storm forecasting, I suspect i will mostly hang out and post on the intro forum. I do very much enjoy reading and attempting to understand the more technical forums here. I appreciate everyone's contributions!

Hello, my name is Jaedon or you can just call me J. Mike Sheard, Ive been interested in weather since 2017 and joined the stormtrack discord on March 19th, 2018. Today is my first day on the forum and I will be active and wanting to join in on discussions, so you will see me a lot around here hopefully. My understanding of weather isn't too bad because I have a decent amount of knowledge on the topic, but I hope to build up my understanding further by looking at past forum post and being in the discussion.

Hi all! I'm Lisa, and I'm from Pflugerville, TX (just north of Austin). I've been interested in severe weather and tornadoes since I was a very little girl growing up in N Central Texas, but I've to date never seen a tornado in person. I've been working so hard the past several months to learn as much as I can about weather and storms in order to get out there and see one myself. I'm on the ST Discord, part of the Spotter Network, took a class with the NWS, and just recently ordered a copy of Meteorology Today. It was a dream of mine to be a meteorologist, but it wasn't quite in the cards for me career-wise. Now I'm working diligently at it and would love to really get out there and chase for the first time with a little knowledge under my belt. :)

Hi my name is Josh Swift. I'm from Denver and I've been chasing intermittently when I get the chance for the last several years. My Dad got me interested when I was younger because he always wanted to check out storms that popped up in Nebraska and Colorado. I feel like I have a decent practical understanding of storms (like finding them and not getting myself sucked up) but it's obvious reading this site there is a ton to be learned here.

Hello! My name is Steve Margenau from the Chana, Illinois area. I too have been interested in weather since I was 9 - I can recall giving a presentation about weather when I was in fourth grade. I am a retired IT geek who spent 30 years on the leading edge of corporate tech but now have the time to pursue some of my other interests, with severe weather being a top priority (but technology is still up there too!). I have been part of the Spotter Network for a couple of years and will attend my second NWS spotter training session in a few days. I recently upgraded to Radarscope Pro tier 2. I already enjoy this learning process I am on and look forward to all that I can learn from the Stormtrack community.

Hello everyone. My name is Mark Jack and I'm from Westmoreland, Kansas. I recently got interested in storm chasing withing the past two years and it's been quite a learning experience ever since. I'm on Spotter Network, Skywarn certified, and registered through the NWS. I'm also an amateur radio operator holding a general class license (KZ0RPR), I need to stop being so lazy and go test for extra haha. My current mobile radio setup is an Alinco DR-140 into a Nagoya UT-72 mag mount. I run both Radarscope and APRS on my phone if needed and GRLevel3 on my laptop. I've got a cheap dashcam for video, as well as a GoPro mounted wherever I may need it. This forum has been extremely helpful for me so far as I dive deeper into this stuff and I look forward to learning from some of you who have been doing it for years.

Lurked here for years, mostly to read and learn. Was in the public safety business for 28 years and anytime severe weather arrived and everyone else was told to take shelter, I was sent out to find it. I'm not a Meteorologist, but a fluent radar interpreter. Enjoy reading the mechanics of historical weather events and hope to continue learning.

I got my interest in meteorology from my grandfather (Conrad Johnson, who was the Chief Meteorologist at WMT in Cedar Rapids, IA back in the 70's. Some folks who lived in eastern Iowa at that time might remember him) He was extremely knowledgeable and I learned a lot from him.
You're being modest about your grandfather. He helped come up with watch-warning system still used today: Not-So-Famous Firsts: Tornado Edition

Back