*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

I am Mike Wills, I have been a weather lover for years. The past several years, I have been learning more and more about storms and how to read them on the radar. I am hoping to start a new podcast soon about my adventure in learning about weather and sharing from the 101 to the more advanced prediction methods. We'll see how that goes.

Hello! I'm Matt, I live in Decatur, GA. I've been interested in storms for years now, ever since a tornado came down my street and snapped a telephone pole in half in my front yard while I was in 1st grade. I was terrified of storms for a year or so, but now I love studying them. I've only "gone the distance" as far as chasing twice now, both times were the week of April 3rd, 2017. I get out whenever I can, but most events in Georgia are night events or during the workday so I'm stuck "armchair chasing" for the most part.

Hi everybody,

I've long been interested in weather and especially tornadoes. I have been within a mile or two of at least four tornadoes, but have never actually seen one yet. I especially love learning about the 1967 Oak Lawn F4, where my grandma's uncle and cousin were among those killed at 95th & SW Highway, as well as the 1990 Plainfield F5, as I had many family members and friends in the area, and my grandma actually was forced to hunker down at the Joliet Mall, which the tornado came within a few hundred yards of obliterating. I could go on about my personal close calls, but I don't want to make this post too long.

I'm not going to chase this year as I don't have a vehicle, but my family will be traveling through the middle Plains (Nebraska and Kansas) as well as Colorado in the last two weeks of May so hopefully we'll catch something interesting! Slowly building up my gear and learning what I can until I can afford to chase in the meantime. I hope to soon be going to a school for civil engineering with a minor in meteorology, so I can truly understand the terrifying damage potential of tornadoes and other freaks of nature, if you will.

Civil Engineering and Meteorology should be a great combo. Good luck Jeremiah!

Matthew I'm always looking for Dixie Alley chase partners. Hard to get old Plains friends to chase Dixie, lol!

Usually I get out to the Plains one week in May, but I also try local if not a total Dixie slopfest.

Hey everyone. My name's Dave and I live in Chesterfield, Michigan. I have been in the USAF for 13 years. My interest started 20 years ago when I worked at a private golf course and became the "weatherman" there. I got good enough that members would call me when they would have outdoor events at other locations to tell them if they would get rain or not and then tip me for the information. Back then it was about the money and I didn't understand much about it. Now I'm in it for the science behind it and think this will be a great place to further my knowledge I have gained over the years. I've been thinking about becoming a spotter for the past two seasons but not sure where to start and I keep managing to be out of town/country when they hold the courses. I've used pykl3 for years to learn and watch the weather and am very sad to find it is no longer supported. I learned a ton using it and it reignited my intrest in weather again. Hopefully I can take my "nerd" side to a new level here.

Hey everyone. My name's Dave and I live in Chesterfield, Michigan. I have been in the USAF for 13 years. My interest started 20 years ago when I worked at a private golf course and became the "weatherman" there. I got good enough that members would call me when they would have outdoor events at other locations to tell them if they would get rain or not and then tip me for the information. Back then it was about the money and I didn't understand much about it. Now I'm in it for the science behind it and think this will be a great place to further my knowledge I have gained over the years. I've been thinking about becoming a spotter for the past two seasons but not sure where to start and I keep managing to be out of town/country when they hold the courses. I've used pykl3 for years to learn and watch the weather and am very sad to find it is no longer supported. I learned a ton using it and it reignited my intrest in weather again. Hopefully I can take my "nerd" side to a new level here.

Welcome Dave - Take some time to cruise through the knowledge base here and I highly recommend the Bear's Cage to get an idea of how these weirdos here think. :)

Hello all, my name is James, and I live in Colorado.

I have long since been fascinated by weather - thunderstorms in particular! Even as a kid I enjoyed watching a good thunderstorm go on. I've never seen a tornado in person, only small funnel-clouds.
I also enjoy watching a blizzard in the winter (they're fairly rare here, so when one happens its kinda something special).
I've been one to take weather pictures and/or video on occasion for years, just for myself. Cameras are for pointing at things of nature...not people. LOL

I've known for a number of years that people posted thunderstorm videos & tornadoes YouTube (even posted a lightning-storm vid once myself), but then a couple years ago I found that people would post hurricane videos on YouTube, sometimes even live-stream from within the storm. Since I also consider those storms to be one one of my 'weather interests' I really think such videos are interesting to watch - especially the eyewall! :)

That all said, I've never been storm chasing .. the idea of actually seeing a tornado or hurricane *live* in person is both intriguing & fascinating, I can totally certainly see why people are drawn to go chasing storms. Sadly YouTube is probably the closest I'll ever come (don't have the ability/knowledge/money/etc for actually chasing).

Hello everyone, my name is Jacob, and I'm from Michigan.

I have been interested in weather for most of my life. To me, there's nothing better than witnessing a great storm as it approaches. I've been known to take pictures and/or video of weather in my area for years. I also enjoy weather content that others post on social media platforms.

I've never been storm chasing, although I totally understand why people are drawn into doing this. While I do want to do this someday, I don't intend on doing it for the money, and I also plan to stick around my area when doing so. Most times I prefer that the weather comes to me instead.

Hello everyone! I'm Ryan from Danville Illinois. Been chasing since 2009 locally, but I got the storm chasing bug at the age of 4 (27 now). It's nice to come to a place where we all share the same passion and love for weather. Love the challenge of forecasting, the anticipation, learn from the greats, as well as the opportunity to help save lives. One of my biggest goals is to earn the respect of other respected chasers, and be a positive role model for future generation chasers. Unfortunately, there are so many great chasers that I will never get to meet because they passed on, but theirs legacies will live on through us.

Good luck to everyone on your future chases! I wish you all a safe journey and maybe we'll cross paths someday. If we do, don't be afraid to stop and say hi!

Hi All. My name is Scott, I live in Georgia. I am a prior Insurance Catastrophe Adjuster and fell in love with storm tracking 15 years ago. I currently own a business that works directly with contractors dealing with storm damaged properties Nationwide. I spend a lot of time looking at long, medium and short term weather forecasting across the US. This helps me to alert the contractors when they may expect a storm.
So happy I have found this site, I know I should be able to find the best of the best forecasting and real time sever weather monitoring tools from you Pro's. I have a lot of questions and will be posting them soon. Looking forward to learning from all.

Hey y'all, fellow rookie chaser here! My name is Jake Pond. I'm 21 years old and chase any storms that pass through the tri-state area, basically known as Siouxland. My inspiration to chase came from an unique way, a video game called Minecraft which I had a mod installed called Local Weather & Tornadoes and found myself building huge structures and then watching a tornado tear it apart. Eventually I met a famous storm chaser named Greg Johnson/Tornado Hunter at a mall in Lincoln Nebraska. When he decided to start a conversation with me when he noticed me taking pictures of a distant approaching storm front. I showed him pictures of all the storms I have recorded and pictures of Lightning and at first he thought I wasn't serious about wanting to see a tornado but when I showed a video of me capturing a very close lightning strike and was unphased and continued filming as of it was nothing he told me I was a natural. Which then he departed, shook my hand and I told him enjoy the upcoming storm.

I am Mike Wills, I have been a weather lover for years. The past several years, I have been learning more and more about storms and how to read them on the radar. I am hoping to start a new podcast soon about my adventure in learning about weather and sharing from the 101 to the more advanced prediction methods. We'll see how that goes.
Hi Mike, So glad you are working on prediction, if you will share your adventure with me as a beta test, I would love to help you.

Greetings everyone!

My name is Bryce. I am 32 and am from the Quad Cities. I have been interested in the weather ever since I was 10. Unfortunately, I never really did much with it until many years later when my passion was reignited with a fury in 2015. Ever since, I have tried to learn everything i can about severe weather and have gone on a couple chases without luck. My biggest obstacle these days is I want to really learn how to forecast. I have watched countless videos and have many books on the subject, yet I'm still pretty much in the dark. I hope to learn from all of you so I can expand my passion.

Back