New Model Site: PivotalWeather

If I'm not mistaken, you guys used to have the Euro ensemble mean on there. What was the reason for removing it, and do you plan to add other ensemble products (such as postage stamps and/or spaghetti plots from the GEFS) in the future?

Also, what was the rationale behind including the CFS? I don't think I'll find it incredibly useful, and would much rather have the ensemble products. Just my two cents. The data readout and new map zooms are nice!

If I'm not mistaken, you guys used to have the Euro ensemble mean on there. What was the reason for removing it, and do you plan to add other ensemble products (such as postage stamps and/or spaghetti plots from the GEFS) in the future?

Also, what was the rationale behind including the CFS? I don't think I'll find it incredibly useful, and would much rather have the ensemble products. Just my two cents. The data readout and new map zooms are nice!
Tim - I believe we pulled the EPS mean charts well before launching Pivotal Weather, back when it was still OWxData, simply because there are so few products freely available (500 Z and MSLP only, IIRC?) and there may have been some issue with the reliability of the data feed. I'll check into the possibility of adding it back, since even just the 500 mb pattern in the medium range is very useful. If nothing else, we'll likely put it back when we add a more comprehensive set of ensemble products in the future.

The CFS was actually requested by a surprising number of users before our latest release. In my personal opinion, its skill at post-GFS lead times doesn't make it incredibly useful, but providing the maps we're running for it was not very burdensome computationally.

Brett, I have only recently started using PivotalWeather as I shake the rust off my analysis skills prior to my chase vacation later this month. So I am still discovering the functionality but one thing I really love is the slideshow format for viewing model output. Especially on a mobile device, SOOOO much easier than having to click or tap an arrow to advance frame by frame! Everything is right there and you can just swipe back and forth. Each map fills the screen, whereas on the regular page sometimes I would need to zoom in on the map because of the space taken up by the selections and controls on the left of the page. And the slideshow loads so quickly despite there being so many images! Really nice work!!!

Back