Netstumbler ?

Originally posted by Jon Miller
My original post and questions pertained to the Netstumbler program not a WiFi discussion as it's turned into.

LOL Fiesty one... As someone said, a couple of previous threads showed a general positive liking of Netstumbler. If you're in doubt, why not download it and try for yourself? Personally, I like it, but I've had some issues with trying to duplicate my GPS signal with a couple of programs like Serial Splitter (they cause VERY high CPU usage, nearing 100% in most cases)...

Nothing better than hearing from Steven Hawking that "Linksys is open" every hundred feet or so.
Originally posted by Skip Talbot
Dont forget handy scripts that will use your text to speech engine to announce the name of the router and whether it is open or closed. This allows you to focus more on driving and not on the laptop. It will also plot the routers location to mappoint so you can make databases. Download them off of netstumbler's forum.

Windows XP can pick up Wi-Fi signals and can connect. How is Netstumbler better than Windows XP (with a built in or external card).

Bill Hark

Originally posted by Bill Hark
Windows XP can pick up Wi-Fi signals and can connect. How is Netstumbler better than Windows XP (with a built in or external card).

Bill Hark

Netstumbler will keep a running log of all the WIFI spots you come across.
It also works with your GPS.

Originally posted by j_r_hehnly
Nothing better than hearing from Steven Hawking that \"Linksys is open\" every hundred feet or so.

I've got the ATT true voice Crystal doing my text to speech. Its very, very good. Almost as good as the new NWR voices, but not quite.

Originally posted by Bill Hark

Believe it or not Bill, Netstumbler does not connect. So now you must really be asking why one would want to use it. With the windows wifi selector you have to manually hit refresh, refresh, refresh... that gets old, especially if you are driving at the same time. Netstumbler will show all kinds of stats on the router, like the brand, its speed, peak signal strength, and it refreshes automatically and much faster than Windows. To connect all you do is close Netstumbler and pick the router from Windows wifi.

Back