Stolen Gear - Robbing a "starving" (storm chaser)

I have a lincoln town car.. and the passenger side is dinged to hell from inconsiderate a*holes..

That's one reason why I will likely never purchase a spendy vehicle. My current ride was a chaser's special, fully equipped with minor hail dents. No fear of the hail or dings. Too bad there are inconsiderate beings out there. I had a brand new rental that someone really dinged up. For some reason I spent the extra on the optional insurance so no worry.

Back to the original topic. I have seen too many busted out windows and have actually witnessed the act on more than one occasion. It only takes a perp about 5 seconds to bust out a window. They can easily cover any noise by turning up the base to some hip-hop slop in the get-away ride. You cannot leave much, if anything, in a car even if gone for just a short time. Some friends of the folks even took the liberty to put stuff in a trunk but they were watched and the perps busted the window and hit the trunk release. The professional crooks know everything there is to know about getting your stuff. Even if the goods are locked away in the trunk the perps could conceivable steal the car. On a chase stop I put my stuff in the trunk or carry it with me.

If I was traveling with expensive equipment that was not lockable in a trunk or even truck toolbox, I'd probably keep a Pelican (or of equal quality) case chained to my seats and locked shut with said equipment inside. Someone else on here suggested this, and implements it I believe.

Sorry for your loss, Chris. That really sucks, man.

awwww yes... A pelican cabled to a seat bracket would stop them for a few minutes possibly.. If I had that with my silent alarm to my pager.. we would be in business.. :lol:

More BAD NEWS On This TOPIC

Hello all, just updating on what the heck went on with replacing my gear...

First of all, and to no suprise, it was NEVER recovered. Pawn shops, EBay, crack-houses, you name it, the police never came up with anything - For what it's worth.

Second, my homeowners insurance, who told me to "calm down and don't worry, telling me they will replace my stuff", after going back and forth producing receipts and pictures of the stolen goods, finally told me that they found out I was a STORM CHASER ... And that since this is a JOB to take pictures and video, they assumed it as sales (business) purposes and DENIED my claim, after pussing it into a LONG investigation.

Third, since my insurance DID process a claim, it shows on their file, whenther you DO or DO NOT (as in this sad case) get money. The result, my homeowners insurance went from about 2,100 a year to 2,500 a year ... Goin' UP anyone??

Since I was lucky enough to finally find a job, and got some tax-money back at the same time, I am now going through the painful process of replacing my Sony Vaio laptop (with a K45 model - better than the stolen one anyway), Sony D8 camcorder (TRV120 off EBay) and both my stolen SLR and ditital with a single digital camera (Digital Canon Rebel 2000) since film cameras are not as hot these days anyway.

My next purchase is the big one, the Sony HDR-FX1, that I need to wait until just before May since I blew all my tax refund as of now replacing the items listed herein.

I am happy I am replacing my stuff, I am NOT happy because after all the comforting and lying I had to munch on by my ever-inflating premium homeowners insurance, I got, well you know, Poo Poo in return, and had to buy all the stolen stuff myself.

You pay for coverage, and you don't get it!

Meanwhile, some thug is doing drugs right now with the money he sold your stolen items for.

And the police ... Looks like giving out tickets is their expertise ;-(

Really disappointed in the insurance and law enforcement areas right now.

Chris Collura - KG4PJN

there is an car alarm system that comes with a remote that will beep or vibrate when your car gets broke into or even touched...

Viper 690 XV 2 way Car Alarm System

you might want to look into it.

At any rate, I wouldn't carry any expensive equipment without atleast an alarm system.

Originally posted by Kevin Koivula
there is an car alarm system that comes with a remote that will beep or vibrate when your car gets broke into or even touched...

Viper 690 XV 2 way Car Alarm System

you might want to look into it.

At any rate, I wouldn't carry any expensive equipment without atleast an alarm system.

I have (had, until a malfunction) a Clifford IntelliGuard 8000, full with motion sensor / ir sensor which could be set to detect motions within a foot or two of the vehicle. Car alarms seem to be more of a deterrent than anything else, since most people don't seem to pay any attn to them, which is all you have when you're out of listening range. Now, they do seem to have gotten more useful with the introduction of 2-way alarm systems. Such systems, as Kevin said, come with a (duh) 2-way remote, which allows you to keep track of the status of the alarm. For example, it will tell you if the alarm is going (or has gone) off. Unfortunately, I bought my alarm a couple of months before these systems debuted, so no 2way for me. Such two-way systems are now produced by most of the major alarm companies (which isn't saying much, since Directed Electronics owns many of the big alarm brands anyways, including Viper, Clifford, Python, Avital, and Hornet).

Re: More BAD NEWS On This TOPIC

Originally posted by cdcollura
Second, my homeowners insurance, who told me to \"calm down and don't worry, telling me they will replace my stuff\", after going back and forth producing receipts and pictures of the stolen goods, finally told me that they found out I was a STORM CHASER ... And that since this is a JOB to take pictures and video, they assumed it as sales (business) purposes and DENIED my claim, after pussing it into a LONG investigation.

Third, since my insurance DID process a claim, it shows on their file, whenther you DO or DO NOT (as in this sad case) get money. The result, my homeowners insurance went from about 2,100 a year to 2,500 a year ... Goin' UP anyone??

Was this your job, your main source of income (storm chasing)? If it wasn't, I would go back and try to dispute it. Sounds like the insurance company is using bad faith, something which is very common in the field.

That sucks. Is there some sort of appeal process? I agree with the poster above, storm chasing is not your main occupation.

The goal of insurance companies (medical, property etc.) is not to pay.

Bill Hark

Man that is really tough!!! You couldn't make up a story with more bad turns!!

I have insurance with Allstate. Since I do auto glass and I am very familiar with all the major insurance companies and how they work. I went with Allstate because of how fast and easy their claim dept. handles stuff. Also advice on extra insurance: Going from a $1000 deductible on comprehensive to a $0 deductible increases your rates on average $16 a month (Definatly worth it for us chasers). For those that don't know comprehensive covers theft, mother nature (hail, tornadoes, fire, flooding and even animals running out in front of you) and other freak accidents. Also I talked to my agent and added $5k worth of electronics insurance and listed it with them. I listed it as car audio because it is not a good idea to tell your insurance company that you intend to drive through large hail to get to a tornado and stay as close as possible without getting hit for as long as you can and as many times as you can, lol! Total was $12 a month and it covers anything that is either in the same place as the OEM version of the device or is permanently mounted. The laptop I have can be removed so it falls under home owners insurance. I really hope you find your equipment and hope this posts helps someone in case it happens to them.

I will surely be watching ebay since I am shopping for a camcorder anyway and if I see anything I will let you know.

Insurance = "I Am NOT Paying"

Adding to this whole spiel about what happened with expensive gear stolen from me back in February 2005, I want to share some conclusions of the way "cheap" and un-reliable insurance companies my operate...

Living in Florida, now being a main target for hurricanes, I had a horrible time finding homeowners insurance in the first place (thanks to hurricane "Andrew" back in 1992). State Farm, Allstate, all those big "trustworthy" companies just would not write a NEW policy for me and my new home. After days (yes DAYS) of searching (I think there was even a commercial making "fun" of this with a young man looking for (car) insurance, with him on the phone and never having any luck finding it), I finally found a company to cover my home.

It was called Tower Hill Insurance out of Gainseville, FL. So if anyone of you is shopping for insurance, Tower Hill now should raise a RED FLAG. Since I had such a lousy experience with them, I already told 4 people interested in them not to consider them. So they just lost 4 potential customers because of me (I feel a lil' better).

75be0b3360f45e8f120a1a4c8938f4be.jpg

My stolen items, and what WAS actually used to make "any" money (denoted by an asterisk). In parenthesis is the original cost and depreciated cost (at time of theft), deparated by a "/". Values are approximate.

1. Sony Vaio Laptop GRT P4 series ($1,600 / $1,000).
2. Sony TRV-110 D8 Camcorder* ($900 / $100).
3. Fuji Finepix 3.8 MP digital Camera ($300 / $250).
4. Canon Rebel 2000 SLR w/ lenses ($500 / $300).
5. Icom T-81A Quad-band HT ($600 / $300).
6. Sony HDR-FX1 HD Camcorder ($3,700 / $3,600).
7. Misc, cases, memory cards, etc. ($1,000 / $200).
8. And more "stuff" in the "bag of tricks" ;-(

* As you see, the TRV110 was used to make money as it was used in the hurricane Charley DVD stuff. Also notice that this item, with depreciation, was the least asset ($100 out of $5,750 in value, with depreciation factored in) in the stolen batch of items!!

The insurance "saw" this MUCH different ... As if it was ONE item, and ALL of the items in it used for business (since money WAS made from hurricane chasing), even though there were many items (all in one "jackpot-for-thiefs special" bag).

The HDR-FX1 was only used for 4 weeks on PERSONAL stuff and not even used in a single storm chase at the time of theft.

Like the old expression goes "You get what you paid for."

This insurance was a cheap and "no frills" kind of company, but literally was the ONLY one I could find (yes, I went through JUA, Joint Underwriters, and all that too). So it was not me being "cheap" or anything, but because there was NO ONE ELSE to "cover" me.

Sure enough, when I needed their help, they were more interested in NOT PAYING for my claim and using the excuse that (some) of the equipment was used for my "career" of "storm chasing" ... And it WORKED, as not only was my claim withdrawn, but charges pressed against me for "fraud", which is a 3rd degree felony in FL.

Nice outcome, I (yes, ME, not the thieves - ME) am in trouble, my insurance gave me S*** (no money), my Discover credit-card now bears the "bill" for my replaced gear, and someone in Miami has my stuff (or sold it by now).

I can swear on my mom's life that had I had State Farm or Allstate for my homeowners insurance, none of this would have happened. They would have replaced my stuff, never questioned anything, never sent my claim to "investigation".

State Farm insurance DID cover my vehicle, and two windows were replaced by noon the SAME day the breakin occurred, no questions asked, and didn't cost me a penny of the $658 dollars for the rapairs. No investigation, not "head games", just the SERVICE I needed.

Ever choose FAST FOOD over a restaurant? Notice that you get your food faster but the order is never right? Notice 20 people in line and only one out of four registers open? Bad SERVICE. Insurance is no different.

A word from the wise, PURCHASE insurance from a REPUTABLE and RENOWNED company. If you live in Florida, you just may be S.O.L. (S*** Out Of Luck), unless you move or something ;-(

Yes, this is very UNFAIR. I had no choice, just could not find insurance, until I settled for "fast insurance" (no pun on "fast food").

You wanna live in the tropics? You wanna laugh at your freezing, snowed-in friends up north in February while sitting under a palm tree? Sorry, Pay the price! I did.

I SHOULD not have to be that way ... FL should have more insurance for homeowners, even if you have to pay a little more.

Meanwhile, Cindy and Dennis are in the Caribbean, Dennis may hit FL, and it is only July 5. Did you know that this is the first time in history 4 named storms developed in the Atlantic by or before July 5?

Is this the Atlantic or West Pacific?

Cheap insurance companies in Florida now have another "excuse" to screw.

Chris, that's terrible, sorry this thing has gone so bad for you. I wonder if maybe the insurance company 'turning the tables' and opening a fraud investigation is just a scare tactic they pull on all of their customers to prevent them from pursuing it further. Especially since you have a police report. They have a contractual obligation to pay your losses. I wonder if there are other customers that they've treated this way, you might have a class action case that would carry more weight.

I'm not sure how it is in FL but in most states, the insurance industry is regulated by a government agency. Maybe going to the Insurance Commissioner might get some things done.

Back