• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

National Storm Chaser Summit Feb 3 - Feb 5, 2023 in Midwest City, OK (Near Oklahoma City)

I've spoken to a number of people about having a western conference here in Arizona sometime in the future. I might be able to find some corporate sponsors. The weather is generally fantastic this time of year. I would like to see topics expanded to cover lightning, dust storms, sky photography and other western / monsoon-related forecasting. Chase conventions can become bogged down / centric with the same speakers every year and don't offer anything other than supercell-related weather topics and a dash of tropical wx. There are some other weather-related subjects that would drawn big numbers and make it fun, but I won't mention those right now.

I've spoken to a number of people about having a western conference here in Arizona sometime in the future. I might be able to find some corporate sponsors. The weather is generally fantastic this time of year. I would like to see topics expanded to cover lightning, dust storms, sky photography and other western / monsoon-related forecasting. Chase conventions can become bogged down / centric with the same speakers every year and don't offer anything other than supercell-related weather topics and a dash of tropical wx. There are some other weather-related subjects that would drawn big numbers and make it fun, but I won't mention those right now.
Yep, I went last year for the first time ever. I agree that it's just the same speakers with pretty much the same topics year after year. I'll go again when they get out your way Warren.

I think a monsoon/desert sky photography conference would be a great idea. There is some overlap with regular storm chasers, but I suspect there are also a large number of people who only do monsoon and many others who would like to try, but don't know where to start. I wouldn't call it a chaser conference. Maybe "Southwest Monsoon and Desert Photography Symposium". Gather together some of the best monsoon photographers and maybe add a meteorologist. Emphasis on photography techniques with some desert safety and meteorology. I'm sure one could get a number of photo equipment sponsors. There is certainly enough material that deserves its own conference. I'd suggest Warren Faidley (obviously!) along with Mike Olbinski, Mike Mezeul, Greg McCown , Jason Weingart etc. Such a conference should be scheduled outside of either monsoon season or the typical Plains storm chase season. Maybe in Phoenix.

Back