Mike H pictures passed off as Hurricane Katrina pics

Your very likey to be right Tim. I guess people will get bored of 'Cool Pictures Of Katrina', and will switch to, 'Sweet Images Of Rita Coming In'...pathetic. I saw one site where someone said, "These were taken by my Uncle in Canada...I almost burst into laughter...because, it's just so stereotypical...I mean come on..."My Uncle"... :lol:

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcrip...ts/s1468436.htm

Click on the real player link, lol. I guess I'm now 'cranky' over it.

If you were cranky, nobody could blame you. This is outrageous now, when supposedly responsible outlets like Weatherwise and ABC are failing to verify ownership of imagery, getting their content from email chains on the internet. Unreal.

For real, Amos. I would likely be more than 'cranky' lol. I can not believe how stupid some of these companies are being now...it's outstanding, I mean, putting pictures on the T.V that they get in the email, by people, what the heck is wrong here.

Hi all,

Being in Australia, I can confirm it was aired on TV on the ABC network here. I am glad they did too as it is frustrating how Mike's pictures have been abused.

Channel 7, with the show Sunrise, is known to do stupid things like use our videos illegally - video clips we had supplied for a previous interview on storm chasing. Not only that, but they used it one more time after that whilst we were awaiting payment for the first misuse! The attitude amongst the media because of the 'freedom' they supposedly have is that you gave it to us so don't bother us.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

I also got an email of Mike's images included with caption "Rita's & Katrina's incredible clouds"...damn idiot who started this. And this was not the only one I got in the last months.
Had almost the same experience with my lightning images a year ago, images were sending through email without mention anything about author, not to mention copyrights. Since then I have copyright text all over the pic, fine for me now, I don't give a s**t. If someone plays with erasing the text from the pics, then its just pathetic and I have no words for such person, just don't :roll:

All respect to you Mike and keep up doing great images! Always fascinated by them when checking your site. 8)

Marko

I know many people have now said this but seeing no one from the UK has I thought I'd add my piece. I'm in a department of Earth and Environment at Leeds Uni. Some one from the Earth Science half of our department email everyone in Atmospheric sciences the photos. The Earth science lot really believed they were of hurricane katerina. We knew they weren't and i was sure i had seen them somewhere before. I then recieved them from 5 other friends from all over the UK. These surpossed photos of katerina really have spread world wide.

They are great photos but its a shame they have been used in this way. :?

I bet these pictures are all around the earth by now, and in countries than get monsoon and Tsunamis, the emails change and say, "Awsome Monsoon Clouds" or "Sweet Tsunami Storms". Heck, I betthey have possibly even made it to other planets! :lol: The media really has some audacity, I think...they think they can get away with anything...

One of my teachers today was talking about some amazing pictures one of his students sent him which were taken by her husband of Hurricane Katrina near Biloxi. He went on and on about them and the student is even in my class. He was so excited about them I kinda got suspicious for whatever reason. I asked him to see the photos after class.....
Yeah they are yours Mike...... :roll: I told him they were yours and also gave him your website and even showed him the site first hand. He was dumb founded to say the least but did say those photos look like paintings.....at least he knows now.
I didnt get the students name and I dont really want to unless ya want me to. Its a girl with a husband in the airforce and he was transfered her after Katrina to SAFB.
Jay

That email has even made it to Leadville. One of my teachers told me that she got an email with pictures before hurricane Katrina hit, but she said that they looked like tornado pictures. I looked at them later and told her that they were definitely not hurricane pictures. I did not know that they were Mike's, but I will be sure to tell her tomorrow.

Got this email 3 times now. Each time I sent the correct information back up the e-chain. Hopefully it'll do some good, perhaps even for Mike's DVD sales.

[forehead smack]

Mike, imagine if you will the selling power of a Famous Hurricane Katrina Internet Photos DVD Spectacular! Eh??

OW! My conscience!

They Gotta Stop Stealing Images

Hello,

I got the same email(s) aslo at my job way down here in Central Florida. Many people who were in my office were exclaiming how bad the "hurricane Katrina" pictures looked!!

I had to correct everyone of them that these were SUPERCELL pictures, and NOT HURRICANE pictures. All the people in my office did not know the difference between the two, except for a guy from Texas working with me!

The average viewer (lacking knowledge in storms and weather, ofcourse) will believe anything you show them that "LOOKS" extreme and violent in a unique way (example: dramatic supercell structure) and identify it with a disaster, like "hurricane Katrina" or "The storm that caused a plane crash".

I also understand that all these pictures involved were taken by Mike Hollingshead, who I know is a VERY respectable and regarded storm chaser and photographer of severe weather. His pictures are un mistakable and awe inspiring to say the least ... And highly un-fortunate for someone to "steal" for their own story.

This is another reason why we need to be so careful with our pictures as we post them. For example, always either watermark or caption your photos on the web ... Maybe instead of just putting "your name", put something like "your name - supercell near Girard, TX - 6/12/05" as a caption, this way no one can "lie" about it.

In more sense, I also limit the size of my pictures on my web site to only 320x240 and all are low-quality JPEG's. Here it does not matter if you use a label / caption or not since an image of such a low quality is still viewable but has no value to a magazine or TV proprietor wishing to falsify such an image!

I am sure we all remember the "Billy Griffith" scandal of June 2005?

Back