Mike H pictures passed off as Hurricane Katrina pics

Ah....the Great Plains of the Louisiana Bayou! Shrimp boats, cajun food and amber waves of grain.

My friend told me she received an email at work with photos of Katrina coming ashore. Before she said another word I told her they were fake. She wasn't fooled by the large supercells over open prarie either.

I just received these photographs in an email. A friend of mine said that they were taken by one of their friends in Southern Ontario. These photographs were being passed off as the recent tornadic supercell that moved through Toronto.

heh

I received the same forwarded email "Katrina coming in Photos" from my wife's boss this morning and immediately informed her that they belonged to Mike and gave her the link to his web site so he can get the proper credit.
She in turn emailed everyone that she had sent it to just to inform them as to who the pictures were taken by and to have them pass the correct information on if they had forwarded it already.

yeah, heh, my mother forwarded these to me with teh title of katrina coming in or some BS... but in the body of the email was something to the effect of " hey check this out! how stupid are people to believe that these photos are in LA or MS!"

Geez even my mom knows the truth and she can even tell you who's photo's they are.

Originally posted by Lisa Wadlow
Hey these things REALLY travel. Someone at my work place just sent an email out to a bunch of us here with Mike's pics that were supposedly Katrina pics. I \"replied to all\" telling them what they really are. Some of them actually believed they were Katrina pics. Good grief.

I received the same email yesterday. Did the same thing as you Lisa.

All,

Just for your information these images are not of Katrina. Instead they are images of Supercell thunder storms take in Nebraska and neighboring states. These images where taken by a storm chaser by the name of Mike Hollingshead from Nebraska.
Here is Mike's website address if you would like to check out more of his great images.

http://www.extremeinstability.com/

If you feel so inclined to do so, please pass this message to others also.

Thanks,
Storm Chaser from Oklahoma

Mick

I got an email from my mom(who lives in Sacramento) yesterday that contained pics of Mikes. The guy who put the email together put ridiculous captions under each picture. In one of them he said that the mesocyclone was a giant tornado. What a jackass. I let her know whose pictures they were. It is amazing how quickly this stuff spreads over the internet.

These pictures got me in trouble this week ... good grief.

My policy has always been to hit a 'reply all' button and tell everyone where the photos actually came from with a link to Mike's site. So I did that again as usual this week when I got the photos (three times I might add from different sources) ... but when you work at a law firm, the reply all went back to secretaries, lawyers and ultimately one of our clients who originated the email. Fortunately the attorneys didn't have a problem with me telling the client where the photos came from, but the secretary who forwarded it to me came unglued when she found out that I had emailed her bosses and one of their clients, feeling like her bosses would never trust her with an email again. Yikes ... had to sit and explain why I had done it for about 15 minutes, but she still wasn't satisfied. Fortunately attorneys understand the importance of copyright infringement, but this time around definitely caused a few ripples for me to deal with. I sure hope people get tired of chain emails someday - - -

Originally posted by rdewey
Are you guys telling me these photos aren't actually from Katrina? Oh boy... :oops:

:lol:

Actually, they are... Mike has the power to travel ahead in time - and he took those shots of Katrina, and not wanting to resist, he put them on his website as storms from Nebraska last year :lol:

We actually discussed this in one of my met classes yesterday. Our prof had found them in an email or something like that and was now showing us. His comment was even for those who don't know the difference between a supercell and a hurricane. Look at the beautiful green corn!!! I never knew Louisiana/Mississippi had such great corn... :lol:

Of course he brought up your site as well Mike and most of the class really like the heartthump on your page. Everybody was impressed with the pics and I'm sure some of them will be adding them to their desktop wallpaper... ;)

and if not Katrina......

http://arizona-skywarn.org/gallery/Canadia...an-Storm-Photos

It is now claimed they are Canadian. I have emailed the webmaster as well. Forgive me if someone has already brought this up. I have been away from computer for several days (in wilderness on photo assignment for Indian ceremony).

This is getting ridiculous though, and it pains me to see another stormchaser have his images lifted and misrepresented like this constantly. I got the email of "Katrina" images yet again from another coworker this morning, and of course told him the real story too.

What is the next email..."amazing images of powerful Hawaiian volcano!!!" :roll:

How long till they start floating around with "Hurricane Rita" captions? I'll guess five days.

Tim

Just thought I'd add my story to all of the rest.

Some of Mike's pics ended up on one of the graphics bulletin boards that I frequent under the title of "Hurricane Sky Over Mississippi". Everyone was Oooooing and Aaaahing over them until a lady from Brisbane, Australia corrected everyone saying, "Your friend's friend didn't take these. I was sent these early in the year, and they are purportedly of a cyclone over Bunbury in Western Australia."

I then had the honor of correcting the lot and pointing them to Mike's website. The lady promptly took the link down and apologized for being misled.

Back