• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

SN / RS Logging into Spotter Network on RadarScope

I'm a previous member of spotter network. Did the test years ago. Trying to register again it says my email is registered. Tried to click on link forgot my username it says my email Is not registered. This is on SN website not on radarscope. I know I'm a new user and probably missing something but please help if you have any suggestions!

In most cases your username is your name. In my case my SN username is Mark Blue, not my email address. Since you already have a valid SN account there’s no reason to establish another. If you recall your password try and login. Otherwise, focus on retrieving that versus your username. Don’t fiddle with RadarScope until you can login to the SN website because you must know your credentials when entering them in RS.

Try the lost password form if you don’t remember your password. The SN system tipped you off that your email address is tied to an existing account. The other field is your username, so try entering your first and last name there to see if you find joy.

So my username was not my name lol! But I figured it out. For others trying go on a desktop. I tried and tried on my cellphone with the forgot username option... it worked the first time on the desktop!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Stormtrack mobile app
Glad to hear you got it figured out. The device used shouldn't matter but either way, it's resolved.

I’ve received multiple emails from folks using the “Contact Us” link in the footer since Spotter Network (SN) support moved here to Stormtrack about logging into to SN on RadarScope (RS). I’m not sure why this is causing users so much difficulty because it’s a very easy process to accomplish. I’m going to post two screenshots here and any further inquiries via email will simply be linked to this post. <de>
Mark Blue

hi mark: i've been a member of spotter network for about 3-5 years now and a subscriber to radarscope for longer than that. i have the pro tier 1 subscription for my mac desktop and an iphone. i took the course for spotting and for the first two seasons things worked sort of ok. sort of because radarscope would never recognize that i was logged into spotter network unless i updated my position (i'm static), and/or logged off and back on on spotter network and then did one or all of the following on radarscope: quit and restart, uncheck 'spotter locations' and go back and forth between layers and spotters. sometimes the spotters list would show me logged on, but the red dot wasn't visibible, so i had no way of knowing if other radarscope users were seeing my indication.

but after those two seasons, the whole thing quit working altogether and nothing i've tried has gotten the two sync'd back up. and i'm a 35 year computer support guy, so i tried a _lot_ of things. but today i decided to get serious about it and found this thread in a google search and read through it, but i've already done what is in here and more. i've gone back through spotter network and updated my profile and changed some things including my password and logged off and back in. i also went into radarscope and logged off spotter network and back on a few times with the new password. i repeated this on the iphone and on the mac. btw, i can't logoff and logon radarscope because it looks like my subscription keeps me logged in unless i want to update to pro tier 2.

about the only thing i can think of that i haven't tried is to uninstall both apps and reinstall. i figured that since both were not working, it wouldn't be worth it, but i can do this if you think it'd help. actually, i just did uninstall the app on my iphone and restored purchases (which showed active) and settings, then went to spotter network and updated my position, logged on and off there then logged off and on using the iphone and still nothing.

so i'm stumped. something is not syncing up right between these you and radarscope and never really has, to be honest.

/guy (73 de kg5vt | wqpz784)

what is this all about? i tried to edit out a typo and got this. we have a severe weather line moving in on us from carlsbad as i speak with predicted straight line winds of 60-80mph and possible tornadoes, so i'd really like this to work and in a couple of hours i'll be too busy to work on it.

oh, and i got radarscope from the mac store and thus an uninstall and reinstall is a little involved. i could delete the prefs file, but i run a weather group on fb and have all the members mapped to the radarscope map and i can't lose that data.

"
The following error occurred:
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator."

Last edited:
I am able to see my position in RS with SN after downloading and installing SpotterNetwork on my main computer, logging into that, however, even doing that I am still unable to report anything from within RS. I still receive a 403 unacceptable response error when trying to submit anything.

Edit Update: Just for curiosity, I closed the SpotterNetwork program on my Windows computer, while looking at RS on my phone and after about 2 minutes my position dot has remained on the screen, and I am still logged into SpotterNetwork in RS this entire time. I have never seen anything like this before in my 25 years of building my own computers. To say it's strange is an understatement.

Last edited:
As an update to my previous post. At some point last night after I had closed SpotterNetwork on my main computer, my position dot disappeared, despite me not having touched a thing on my phone or Radarscope.

i posted my issue to the /contact/ form i found in the faq although i realize the op said all such contacts would be referred to this thread. this thread is no help to me.

Hi Guy,
Can you please post some screen shots or send them to support -at- spotter network.org so we can see what you're seeing? Just from the way you describe it, it sounds like location services aren't enabled for RS but you also mentioned two apps, so I'm not sure specifically what you might be referring to? Thanks.

Another update as of 7:00 pm CDT, March 13th. Opened up SN on my computer, let it update my position. Opened up both RS and GR3 to see my position dot. Came up in both. I then closed SN completely on my computer, then closed GR3. My dot stayed on in RS until I closed it. Once I reopened RS, my dot was gone.

Hi Guy,
Can you please post some screen shots or send them to support -at- spotter network.org so we can see what you're seeing? Just from the way you describe it, it sounds like location services aren't enabled for RS but you also mentioned two apps, so I'm not sure specifically what you might be referring to? Thanks.
http://www.WxChaser.com

and what if i didn't have an iphone--what if i only had the desktop RS app and not the phone app? if that were the case, where would the desktop RS app get location data?

anyway, i now have my red dot back and my name in the spotter list which is great because it looks to be an active season coming up. we had up to 75mph winds here in west texas last night and it brought down the 300' dept of transportation radio tower only about 6-8 miles from my house.

can't thank you enough for tipping me off to that. i never would have found it on my own, especially since i was working on the theory that the desktop RS app could stand alone. and maybe it can, but if so, in this case the bad data from the iphone RS app was overriding it.

and i just figured out the timeline of when this stopped working. location services was using an iphone 6s which i had since i started using RS. two years ago i got the iphone 7s and that's when this stopped working. so the problem occurred when i updated to the 7s and continued after i got the xs last year. location services had like 8 devices going back to the iphone 4 and a couple of ipads which are long gone and i deleted all of them from the list so hopefully it can't fall back on a device that's gone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 19.28.05.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 19.28.05.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Another update as of 7:00 pm CDT, March 13th. Opened up SN on my computer, let it update my position. Opened up both RS and GR3 to see my position dot. Came up in both. I then closed SN completely on my computer, then closed GR3. My dot stayed on in RS until I closed it. Once I reopened RS, my dot was gone.

Hi John, that would be expected. Is that what you're wanting to happen? If you are not reporting location in RS, your icon from your desktop location updates will only stay there for a little while.

and what if i didn't have an iphone--what if i only had the desktop RS app and not the phone app? if that were the case, where would the desktop RS app get location data?

anyway, i now have my red dot back and my name in the spotter list which is great because it looks to be an active season coming up. we had up to 75mph winds here in west texas last night and it brought down the 300' dept of transportation radio tower only about 6-8 miles from my house.

can't thank you enough for tipping me off to that. i never would have found it on my own, especially since i was working on the theory that the desktop RS app could stand alone. and maybe it can, but if so, in this case the bad data from the iphone RS app was overriding it.

and i just figured out the timeline of when this stopped working. location services was using an iphone 6s which i had since i started using RS. two years ago i got the iphone 7s and that's when this stopped working. so the problem occurred when i updated to the 7s and continued after i got the xs last year. location services had like 8 devices going back to the iphone 4 and a couple of ipads which are long gone and i deleted all of them from the list so hopefully it can't fall back on a device that's gone.

Glad to hear it Guy. You can't report your location via the desktop version as you don't have GPS geo-location available on MacOS. You can show the dots, but not update yours in RS on MacOS like you can on iOS. Now, you might want to look at your contact information as all of that information showing in RS is being made public. If you are fine with that, no worries, otherwise, if you don't want all of that, including your phone number, to be public then you will want to just enter that information in your Emergency Management/NWS contact information.

hi john: i live about 12 miles from the nearest town where the repeaters are and i only have a j-pole up about 15' and although i can 'hit' the repeaters, i can't talk through them, so when the skywarn hams see my dot in RS and the call sign, they can call me for a report. i can hear them fine. they know i've been skywarn since the early 80s although i moved away and came back after being outsourced. unfortunately, i can't climb anymore, so the half-acre i bought isn't doing me any good antenna farm wise and no one wants to drive out here i guess. :)

can other spotters see the phone #? if so, i can pull it from the public form and just keep it in the emergency one.

thanks again!

hi john: i live about 12 miles from the nearest town where the repeaters are and i only have a j-pole up about 15' and although i can 'hit' the repeaters, i can't talk through them, so when the skywarn hams see my dot in RS and the call sign, they can call me for a report. i can hear them fine. they know i've been skywarn since the early 80s although i moved away and came back after being outsourced. unfortunately, i can't climb anymore, so the half-acre i bought isn't doing me any good antenna farm wise and no one wants to drive out here i guess. :)

can other spotters see the phone #? if so, i can pull it from the public form and just keep it in the emergency one.

thanks again!

Other spotters would not see your phone number if you remove it from your public record.

Other spotters would not see your phone number if you remove it from your public record.

ha! that's strange. the /quote/ button doesn't quote, but the /reply/ does. oh well.

appreciate it john. i removed it from public and left it in ems while i decide whether to make it public although i doubt i could get more spam and robocalls than i already get. in any case, i just add those to the blocked list which is in the hundreds, if not thousands, by now. :)

Hi John, that would be expected. Is that what you're wanting to happen? If you are not reporting location in RS, your icon from your desktop location updates will only stay there for a little while.

Hi John,

I was thinking that I should not have to open up SN on my personal computer to get my dot to show up on RS, since I'm logged into SN within RS already, or is this incorrect? Also, I am still receiving a 403 when I've tried to use the report using SN in RS.

@John Wetter sorry to bother you again, but today when i pulled up RS on desktop and iphone i see the original problem is back in that i get 'timed out' and my name and location dot disappears until i return to SN and hit some update buttons. and even then i have to quit on both desktop and iphone app and toggle 'show spotter locations' off and back on. i don't think i've ever stayed visible for more than 8-12 hours.

keep your eyes to the skies if you're in '0' land as there are tornado warnings in 5 states today.

tks!

Last edited:
RS on mac desktop has no settings for location reporting. on IOS i do have the /report location/ toggled on. but i think the problem might be that when you go to /system/preferences/location in IOS the only two options are /never/ and /when using app/.

so if you're saying this whole thing depends on IOS and whether radarscope is active and reporting the location, then i would have to have it running all the time to keep me visible to RS. and i usually do have it running in the background on my iphone, but not all the time as i use the desktop app 99% of the time. and it says 'while using the app' and i don't know if that includes when it's not actually on the screen.

so i logged onto SN, updated my info and position, then i quit and restarted RS on the iphone and on the mac. and now i'm showing up in IOS and on the mac. but at some point, based on past experience, in about 4-8 hours i'll drop out again until i do all 3 of those things again.

yep, posted this at 2148 and at 2310 when i checked i had timed out on both RS desktop and IOS. and from past experience, the only way to activate me again is to open SN, update some random stuff, then quit RS desktop and IOS, then restart them.

Try these two simple steps per the attached image. First, press the button labeled #1 in red on the toolbar. A blue circle will then appear on the map where you’re located. Next, press inside the blue circle labeled #2 in yellow and you should see a message that your location was sent to SN at the then current time. In about a minute the red dot will appear and stay there until you close RS or turn it off.

I hope it works for you as well as it does for me.

DA8FFBA3-1EB0-48BF-AC65-43125711F737.jpeg

Back