Last Named System?

Last Named System of 2005:

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With the climatological peak(s) of the hurricane season yet to come, how far do you think this out-of-control 2005 season will get?

IMO, I don't see any way we'll get out of this season without hitting at least 'Delta.'

I'm with you, Sam. Fourteen named systems to date, we've still got just over 2 months to go and we're just now approaching the peak time. What comes after Epsilon? :shock:
Angie

I always wondered what they did if they exhausted all the names in one year. They use the full Greek alphabet? Where did you find that naming system information Sam? I checked the NHC website and did a quick google search and couldn't find any reference to this. I know its highly improbable, but what do they do if they have exhausted the greek alphabet as well?

I, too, searched to find out what happens when they exhaust the alphabet, and came up dry. Anyone have an NHC contact?

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez
I, too, searched to find out what happens when they exhaust the alphabet, and came up dry. Anyone have an NHC contact?

Tim

I found it in WMO Technical Document NO. 494
http://www.wmo.ch/web/www/TCP/OperationPla...English2005.pdf

It's on page 90.
It goes to the greek alphabet.

greek_alphabet.gif

Hope we don't get all the way to Lambda :?

Originally posted by Sam Sagnella
My question is, if one of the Greek names needs to be retired, what do they replace it with?

LOL I was wondering this exact same thing a couple of weeks ago... Suppose we need to retire Hurricane Alpha since it caused sufficient damage/casualties. What would we replace it with? Do we go borrow the "A" from a different alphabet? French, German, Italian, Spanish, Arabic, Inuit, Cherokee, Souix? lol...

I'm sure this has been discussed on ST at some point in some thread, but I think we should switch to the WPAC naming system and have one neverending list of names as opposed to separate lists for each season. While I agree that it is far more practical in the typhoon-crazy WPAC, such a change would alleviate confusion in anomolous seasons such as 2005.

Hurricane Alpha would definitely be a memorable name if it were a killer cane, a name synonymous with terms like alpha male, the alpha and the omega. Would I be correct in saying there hasn't been a Hurricane Alpha before? If that were the case it would make that storm even more memorable. Simply reusing the Greek alphabet probably isn't an option.

Do we go borrow the \"A\" from a different alphabet? French, German, Italian, Spanish

Not to cause any problems, but we use the same alphabet as those languages. Well, about 90% the same.

I went with Tammy because I have a bet with a friend that its going to 20. Now I see there is no Q so Tammy is only the 19th storm, which messes up everything.

Wait a minute...last time I checked there was a U,X,Y & Z in our alphabet. What about those letters? Not to mention Q!

Originally posted by B Ozanne
Do we go borrow the \"A\" from a different alphabet? French, German, Italian, Spanish

Not to cause any problems, but we use the same alphabet as those languages. Well, about 90% the same.

LOL But we can use some of the letters that either aren't in our alphabet, such as æ, ñ, ç, and Ö. :lol:

Back