• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

I want to learn... but don't know where to start.

Matthew Reis

Enthusiast
I'm still very new to the storm chasing hobby and I need to educate myself more on the weather... but I'm not sure where to begin. I've been to a spotter class given by my local NWS WFO and I've picked up bits and pieces of information on the internet. But I need something more solid. I want to learn how to make my own forecasts, how to use the various weather models I've heard of, how to read a Skew-T, how to pick a target area... you get the idea! So how should I go about this? Where do I start?

Hi Matthew,
If you haven't already, you should follow all the links that are on this site. The 'WxLibrary' tab at the top of this page has a long list of educational resources that go into a lot of the things you are asking about. Just start reading, you can never read too much! I don't know if it is still in print, but the 'Storm Chaser's Handbook' byTim Vasquez is an excellent all-around intro to chasing, even if it is out of print im sure you can find it on Amazon or ebay. You should also pick up a good all-around book on meteorology; I can't recommend something of the top of my head but if there is a university/college near you that has a meteorology department, or even earth sciences, that would be a great place to pay a visit ;) Good luck!

With everything else posted, there's also meted.ucar.edu that I really like. Computer based training for just about everything.
I also had 'Severe Storm Forecasting' by Tim Vasquez as well. Few typos here and there but a ton of info

Once you feel confident you have a basic understanding of what makes storms and know what you are looking at (as far as storm features), please go out with an experienced chaser your first few times if possible. You'll save yourself a lot of time on the learning curve if you do that. It also will be safer for you.

If you do have someone you can go out with, I'd recommend sitting with them through the targeting process as well. Y'all new guys are really lucky compared to when I (and many of the guys who have been chasing longer than I have) in that you are already connecting with other chasers early on. I didn't know about this place when I started in 2006, and didn't meet any other chasers until 2011. Especially from a forecasting standpoint, it was a steep curve. I might as well have been throwing darts on occasion. Once I was in the right area I was in good shape because I'd been a weather geek and watching the skies since I was 6, but getting in the ballpark is something I still mess up at least a few times a year.

As you get more experienced, you'll find that there is always something you can improve on. That's where the off season comes into play. Just like with athletes, you need to figure out your weak points and work on them. For me, it's still forecasting, with photography/videography in a very close second, due to inexperience with camera and video equipment and especially with setting up shots. So those are the areas I try to work on the most during the offseason, along with maintaining on some of the other things that I've been doing much longer and have a better grasp on. Even something that many take as granted, mobile radar data, was something that took some learning on my part because I didn't have that capability until 2012.

It's always a learning experience. The key is to pick out one or two areas that you can focus on and work at it. If you try for everything at once, you'll be overwhelmed. Once you get a handle on those, pick one or two more things to work on.

That's the best advice I have to offer. Best of luck!

As Kevin mentioned...MetEd really helped me get started and I still occasionally click over to see if I can learn something new. (meted.ucar.edu)

Other than that, I found what helped me the most was to just be around knowledgeable people. I can't tell you how many times I've sat with other chasers at dinner, at their house, or even on Skype just listening to the conversation, asking questions, and absorbing the info. That's another thing - don't be afraid to ask if you don't know! I probably learned the most by hearing something brought up in a conversation and asking "What is that?", "How does that fit into the severe weather ingredients?", etc.

The Ghost Train (hosted by Marcus Diaz) is a weekly show [weather permitting] with many guests in the professional storm chasing community is another great source of information and is a laid back atmosphere...online LIVE and you can interact with questions. Streamed LIVE on YouTube, go to this link and SUBSCRIBE:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-nl7lDdBG1RmLvh_bj02w/videos

Skywarn spotter classes are good and were better until the budget cuts hit and reduced the classes from an average of 4 hours down to an hour and a half, thus, sending many untrained citizens out in severe weather (many thinking they are exports after only one class) with NO radar interpretation training endangering many lives. I have attended over a dozen spotter classes in Southern Illinois this Spring in order to interact with my local EMAs and observed several participants paying more attention to their phones than the instructor...still walking out the door with a certificate.

Spotter Network (www.spotternetwork.org) also offers online training. You are already in the right place just being here.
Good luck and be safe.
Listen to seasoned chasers and you should be just fine.

looks up the following books

Severe Weather Forecasting
Weather Analysis and Forecasting
Storm Chasers Handbook

all by Tim Vasquez.

great resources and have most of what you will need to get started and get some insight.

I asked the same question about a year ago and even though I have not made that much of a progress since I found that most of the time many recommended Haby hints etc. which, for a beginner, still is a little bit too fragmented and difficult to put together into a good knowledge foundation. Much of the information out there is a bit like dictionaries: great to look up certain aspects but very difficult to use to get that overview.

I wrote my own chronological way of how I went about to learn the basics here: http://blog.stormchasingusa.com/category/learning-how-to-chase-storms/

Lot's of great suggestions above, but I would suggest you begin with MetEd (https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_detail.php) and start with the level 0 modules such as: Role of the Skywarn Spotter, and Skywarn Spotter Convective Basics,. Then move onto level 1 modules such as Weather Radar Fundamentals (note that you can change the Topics drop down to just focus on convective weather or radar meteorology if you wish). Once you get those under your belt, you can pick topics that interest you and start moving up skill levels. From there the other resources listed above will make more sense. Don't get discouraged. If you find a module that is over your head, skip it and go to something else. It will not all make sense the first time. I learn something new every time a look at one of the MetEd modules or any of the links listed above. Just when I think I understand something, I learn something new. Keep at it.

The suggestions listed above are all really good. I would add doing a storm chase tour and make sure you are present for the forecast discussion. There are many tours at different prices and schedules. One can even do shorter "on call" chases if your schedule is flexible. I learned on Cloud 9 Tours and really liked it. Once you are ready, try chasing local nonsevere storms first.They can be interesting and provide a away to.test strategies and forecasts.

You don't necessarily have to take a class or a guide or a tour. A lot of learning about forecasting, and then chasing, is from 1st hand experience. I took a severe storms class at UNL from Dan Nietfeld (forecaster out of Valley, NE NWS), and it was a great class, but for the most part classes like that are very rudimentary, and 90% of those classes are basic review for the majority of us, even before we finished our degrees in Meteorology.

My suggestion is to read current forecasts like a madman. Read the SPC EVERY DAY, not just on big days. Compare their findings to model outputs such as the SPC composites or I like to use weather.cod.edu (college of Dupage). Also read your local office forecasts, or read the forecasts from the NWS out of any areas of interest that day. Read and compare, and you shall learn! Oh and read the forecasts in the chaser's forum. You'll learn some of the idiosyncrasies about chasing in various situations or areas (such as why to calculate your shear from the ML LCL and not the surface) on late season chases.

When I got started in meteorology I found that open courseware web sites were very useful. You don't get actual credit for them, but they are great ways to introduce someone to the content. I actually took a meteorology course at Penn State World Campus when I was attending. It was a great course. Tough and challenging and put my skills to the test. They had great content.

If you are looking to start out I recommend one of the following sites:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/earth-atmospheric-and-planetary-sciences/index.htm

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/

The UCAR Site is a great one. I used their site in the past, before they updated, and they had a lot of great content.

As always, with the others, I do agree that Tim Vasquez's books are well written. His books helped me with my school work, related to weather. When I was unable to understand something his books helped a great deal.

Thanks,
Chris Zenzel

Matt, while a lot of us have had a go at this chasing solo, as stated above, I would totally recommend getting hooked up and chasing with a veteran chaser. Then become a sponge - for forecasting, targeting, chasing, hell, just having someone to bounce ideas off of. Then, get out there, test what you know, learn from your failures, and celebrate your successes. My best learning opportunities have come chasing and hanging out with veteran chasers like @Bob Hartig, @Bill Oosterbaan and some of the best guys out there today, and I’m very grateful for it. See ya out there!

Back