• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Visiting the US for a few months to chase storms

Nafe Thomas

Enthusiast
Hi I'm Nafe, I'm 31 and from the UK.

I'm looking at visiting the US in a few weeks for a few months of tornado season. I've always been mesmerized by tornados and extreme weather so I'd love to turn it into a passion by experiencing it first hand. Right now I'm in the planning stages. I do realize there's a lot to storm chasing and the dangers to it.

I'm looking to learn as much as I can in the few weeks before I travel. I also need to figure out whether its worth buying a car or getting a rental, and which state to start off in. I'll probably look to travelling and sleeping in my car, which I'm fine with, unless I find someone or somewhere to stay with.

If anyone has any tips for me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

If you can afford to do it, I’d rent a car instead of buying one. Spending a few weeks chasing means there’s decent odds you’ll get tangled up with some big hail. I’d feel better about having rental insurance taking care of the damage than watching my car investment getting pounded into the ground by hail. That being said, if you plan on keeping yourself a few miles out of harm’s way, you could end up having almost no extra cost for having your own vehicle.

Just for grins I went to avis.com and looked up what it would cost to rent a car from a non-airport location in Dallas TX from mid April to mid-June. The cheapest was Toyota Corolla or similar for £3,131 ($3,996.93 at exchange rate right now). That probably doesn't include insurance. There is no way you could buy a reliable car for that price (not to mention sales tax, registration, and insurance). So unless you plan to come back each year (and then you have to worry about storage costs and maintenance), renting is likely your lowest cost route. Just beware that not all rental places charge the same (some are much higher) and avoid pickup/drop off locations such as airports that have higher fees and taxes.

As to where to start/finish, if you are chasing in April and May, the climatology says north TX and OK during April and moving into southern KS in May. See NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center I'd looks at airfare and see if if was cheaper to fly into DFW or OKC. OKC is more central to your chase area (esp by the end of May), but if airfare is cheaper to DFW.

Hi,
you said chasing for a few Months? Keep in mind that under ESTA you can only stay up to 3 Month - all above a B-Visa is required.
The thing with a B-Visa is, you will be invited to the consulate for an interview. If you're Visa Application gets ejected, travelling under Esta is also forbidden.
I'm also from Europe and i know the basics of travelling to the US.
Buying a car is not that easy. I mean, ok, buying is less of a Problem if you're having enough money - but insurance could be hard to get without residential address in the US. There's sure a way to get rid of this issue but it definitely will cost you again a lot of money.

Also sleeping a few month in a Car sounds terrible to me. I totally understand that, if chasing Storms in the US is your dream, you might get over a few things just too make it happen for you, but in my opinion going with a rental and motels is so much more comfortable.

Since when did you chase Storms? Are you a Photographer or only enjoy the Moments in Front of a nice Supercell?
If you're completely new to this topic i would recommend you not to chase alone. Storms are sometimes hard to read and getting in trouble is the last thing you need.

I might suggest you find another chaser with some experience and offer to pay for half the expenses. Then you will not have to sleep in your car and the fuel costs will be much less. I believe there is a forum here for finding chase partners. I've slept in my car before, but never again unless it's an emergency (or hurricane chasing). Not getting a good night's sleep is dangerous, as you don't want to be exhausted on a big day.

If you can afford to do it, I’d rent a car instead of buying one. Spending a few weeks chasing means there’s decent odds you’ll get tangled up with some big hail. I’d feel better about having rental insurance taking care of the damage than watching my car investment getting pounded into the ground by hail. That being said, if you plan on keeping yourself a few miles out of harm’s way, you could end up having almost no extra cost for having your own vehicle.
Yeah I do plan on getting reasonably close so buying is probably out of the question.
Hi,
you said chasing for a few Months? Keep in mind that under ESTA you can only stay up to 3 Month - all above a B-Visa is required.
The thing with a B-Visa is, you will be invited to the consulate for an interview. If you're Visa Application gets ejected, travelling under Esta is also forbidden.
I'm also from Europe and i know the basics of travelling to the US.
Buying a car is not that easy. I mean, ok, buying is less of a Problem if you're having enough money - but insurance could be hard to get without residential address in the US. There's sure a way to get rid of this issue but it definitely will cost you again a lot of money.

Also sleeping a few month in a Car sounds terrible to me. I totally understand that, if chasing Storms in the US is your dream, you might get over a few things just too make it happen for you, but in my opinion going with a rental and motels is so much more comfortable.

Since when did you chase Storms? Are you a Photographer or only enjoy the Moments in Front of a nice Supercell?
If you're completely new to this topic i would recommend you not to chase alone. Storms are sometimes hard to read and getting in trouble is the last thing you need.
3 months max is what I'm looking at. I've been to the US many times before but never to chase.
It seems like going for a rental is the best bet.
I won't rule out motels I guess it just depends where I am at the time. I've never chased storms before, I'm a complete beginner so I'm definitely open to finding chase partners.

Since you're from the UK, my main concern would be whether or not you can actually handle driving 1,000 km per day, while also checking radar, and looking at the clouds all at the same time. Most people from the UK don't drive 1,000 km in a month! Driving is the most dangerous part of chasing, and it's where the vast majority of chasers have been injured or killed.

To test your skills, I would wake up at 7:00 one stormy and rainy day, jump in your car, and drive for 16 hours straight all throughout the UK. If the thought of that sounds exhausting to you, then I would strongly recommend taking a storm chasing tour, or finding someone else to drive, while you split the costs.

I've met a lot of people from all over the world while out chasing, and every foreigner always takes a tour for their first storm chasing trip. I did meet one French duo who were chasing together, and they had to switch off drivers every few hours.

I've met a lot of people from all over the world while out chasing, and every foreigner always takes a tour for their first storm chasing trip. I did meet one French duo who were chasing together, and they had to switch off drivers every few hours.
This part from @ScottCurry should have been leading in all-caps. I can't imagine coming to the MidWest as a first-time lone chaser anymore than I would fly to London and and go it alone my first time in Britain.

Since you're from the UK, my main concern would be whether or not you can actually handle driving 1,000 km per day, while also checking radar, and looking at the clouds all at the same time. Most people from the UK don't drive 1,000 km in a month! Driving is the most dangerous part of chasing, and it's where the vast majority of chasers have been injured or killed.

To test your skills, I would wake up at 7:00 one stormy and rainy day, jump in your car, and drive for 16 hours straight all throughout the UK. If the thought of that sounds exhausting to you, then I would strongly recommend taking a storm chasing tour, or finding someone else to drive, while you split the costs.

Take what Scott said and multiply it by 1,000 having to switch from the left side of the road to the right side! Do not underestimate how difficult it is to reverse a long-time habit like that. I used to chase with a guy from the UK who refused to share in the driving for that reason. I used to think it was just an excuse. Then I traveled to the UK and couldn’t even remember to look the correct way when I crossed the street! Even in taxis and Ubers, every once in a while I would look up from my phone and be startled to see another vehicle in a certain spot or heading in a certain direction because it was all opposite to what an experienced US driver would expect. I suggest just going on a chase tour!

There are some big differences driving in the States, largely how much more open everything is (we've got 60m people in a country the size of Delaware!) whereas driving here is constantly mixing with traffic. It also helps to be switching from a manual (standard here) to an automatic, which many of us will have done when driving in Europe.

But yes, if you're going to chase solo, for a few months, burnout could be very real. And don't forget there could be weeks of no weather to chase. My trip, when I get the funds, will be a few weeks at most and I'll have plenty of other activities built in for down days.

I would advise changing your plans so it is not as long or, if funds aren't too much of a problem, joining an organised tour to start with. There is also the UK Weatherworld Forum where you might find other people to chase with.

Above all else. If you do go, chase from a distance and be extremely careful. It might look fun on YouTube but there are more lows than highs!

Back