• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Noob Chase Tour Leader - Taking Movie Crew Storm Chasing - NEED HELP FAST!

A movie crew from another country reached out to me asking me to take them storm chasing for a week. Their goal is to capture a tornado within that week. While I certainly can't guarantee a tornado, and I've never hosted a tour group before, the thought of taking a film crew out to capture footage is interesting to me.

We'll have to negotiate quickly of course, as they plan to start filming in about 5 weeks. And while I have a lot of experience storm chasing and am confident I can find a tornado should one pop up within 500 miles of me, I don't have any experience taking a team of 8 people and multiple vehicles out. I'm probably getting in way over my head here, but as a risk taker at heart, I like trying new things.

So as a complete noob when it comes to leading a team, I need your help.

(1) How much should I charge them to find a tornado for them? They'll pay all of their expenses, I just need to know how much I should charge. I would want enough to cover all of my expenses, plus extra cash for my time.
(2) What logistical challenges should I be considering?
(3) What legal challenges should I be considering?
(4) Should I get insurance for my company, and if so, what kind of insurance and how much?
(5) What things should be included in the contract to protect me?
(6) How should payment work? Before, after, half upfront, half later?
(7) What conditions should we set in case we don't see a tornado during the week, and they want to continue chasing?
(8) What else am I not thinking about that I should know?
(9) Am I a complete idiot for even considering doing this?

I've done this before, multiple times, so hopefully I can help you.

First, you will need some type of well-prepared release for them to sign. You'd need an attorney for this and the wording will need to cover a lot of things. I also required them to have their own, multi-million dollar insurance policy for everyone and I needed a copy of the policy before we chased.

Allowing crews to "follow you" IS a nightmare (as opposed to a couple of extra people in your chase unit). I no longer do this no matter how much they pay me. Movie crews do not understand or appreciate how the system works, no matter how many times you lecture them. It's like herding Tasmanian devils during an earthquake. They also do not understand things like "not setting up tripods on active roadways" and "where to park." I had a crew in June of 1998 break away from me on their own and they drove through baseballs.

The last time I had a movie crew with me, I charged them $7,000 for five days, all paid in advance with no refunds. Some crews will contact multiple sources, or find a different / less expensive chaser on arrival, thus screwing you over.

My other suggestion is to thoroughly check them out. I had "crews" turn out to be simple stock footage shooters looking for someone to take them on a cheep tour. Major film crews won't hesitate to meet your requirements.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but there is a lot to consider.

I believe, in 2024, $7K is significantly too low. Never apologize for making a reasonable profit.

If you rent a large van for them to ride with you (agree with Warren 100% that you should be in one vehicle), make sure the vehicle is fully insured including liability, collision and theft. That will be expensive.

Yes, you and your company should be insured. Form a "single member LLC" (if legal in your state) to give you extra protection. My experience is that professional photographers do what they want. If one gets hit by a car, they will blame you no matter how many times you shout, "get off the road!"

Every time someone approached me for this same thing, the minute I started talking money they just ghosted me. Even Boeing didn’t want to pay me for some hail research they were wanting to do. They know someone will do it just for clout or social media clicks.

Agreed with Mike and Warren. Insurance coverage and liability for everything is the biggest hurdle/risk to overcome here. A legit production should pay you handsomely for all the work that’s going to be required to do it right.

I believe, in 2024, $7K is significantly too low. Never apologize for making a reasonable profit.

If you rent a large van for them to ride with you (agree with Warren 100% that you should be in one vehicle), make sure the vehicle is fully insured including liability, collision and theft. That will be expensive.

Yes, you and your company should be insured. Form a "single member LLC" (if legal in your state) to give you extra protection. My experience is that professional photographers do what they want. If one gets hit by a car, they will blame you no matter how many times you shout, "get off the road!"
Great points. How much do you think should be charged for a 7 day trip in 2024?

Scott, if it were me, I would figure up all of my expenses and add 30%. Things always cost more than you estimate in this type of project.
And, then I would charge $10,000 on top of that for your time, effort and expertise.

A lot depends on the film company. Small organizations will not pay a lot, especially from Europe. In the US, a legitimate production company would not hesitate to pay 10k. Again, it's important to get everything in writing in advance along with the full amount or a hefty deposit.

I can only imagine the fun if they went with some psychopath chaser (not you) who was hell bent on getting them into the circulation, or drove like an escaped lunatic. Might make for a good movie plot!

Back