I can't believe this! Where are the military?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<begin sarcasm>
Is it too much to ask for our National Guard soldiers to sleep in military barracks with their stuff ready to go at a moments notice instead of having to be called up from their homes and families???? They should at the very least be made to live in the same city as their units.
<end sarcasm>

Originally posted by Kevin Bowman
some people show it better than others, unless you know him personally you really have nothing to say other than your own opinon
I know him personally, and I can assure you that he is the most caring public official I have ever known. When I first met him, he wasn't even in politics. He was just a guy running the Texas Rangers. And when I was damn near killed in the line of duty, he made it very clear that he cared about me, a total stranger.

You better find something you have a clue about, B Doss.

On the political side of things, how come no one is asking where in the hell congress is? They are still on vacation and from what I've heard are planning on coming back on friday. Whichever troll mentioned the getting troops halfway across the world in 6 hours clearly doesn't follow the news. The troop buildup in Iraq took months and that was for 150,000 troops. Compare that to the number of people displaced in the Gulf and one starts to realize the scope of the problem.

For all the people comparing this to 9/11. That was entirely different, America came together after that event but if you haven't noticed it hasn't this time. Also the number of people effected by the actual event is many times higher here than in New York.

An interesting note, today at my high school was the first time that this has really been the talk of the school. Before today no one aside from myself mentioned it. I think there is a general lack of understanding as to what was predicted to happen in that area and what has happened now.

Its my opinion that FEMA likely underestimated the scale and magnitude of the problems. One can only rely on having a plan before hand so much and as soon as one thing goes wrong the whole plan is out the window. I honestly believe that everything that can be done is being done at this point. People talk about the fact that the dead are just being left on the streets, well it ought to provide further motivation for the people to get out of town. How would you feel if you saw them removing the dead bodies while you were without water, food and shelter?

It takes time to get people and resources prepared and on the move. Its clear that the situation in NO has decayed faster than they can get resources in to help. I doubt any of the emergancy plans had troops walking around in body armor with guns at the ready to battle gangs and looters. An oversight maybe, but one can only plan for so much.

Originally posted by Kevin Bowman
some people show it better than others, unless you know him personally you really have nothing to say other than your own opinon

Likewise.

While on the subject, my brother-in-law who happens to be here in my home tonight, worked with the man for a number of years in his days of Governing. He has a clue, moreso than a single fleeting encounter. He doesn't share your opinion, Rob Davis. Neither do I.

Moving on.

CNN just reported that National Guard troops arriving into New Orleans (they mentioned the ones from Arkansas, I have no idea if the order is now general to Nat. Guard troops or not) have orders to "shoot to kill." That's a quote from Aaron Brown.

Originally posted by B Doss
He has a clue, moreso than a single fleeting encounter. He doesn't share your opinion, Rob Davis. Neither do I.
Fleeting encounter = ASSumption

GOTta get tHIs darn CAPS KEy fixeD.

Originally posted by Anonymous
CNN just reported that National Guard troops arriving into New Orleans (they mentioned the ones from Arkansas, I have no idea if the order is now general to Nat. Guard troops or not) have orders to \"shoot to kill.\" That's a quote from Aaron Brown.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/in..._09.html#075996

Scroll down to "Blanco demands Apology"

At a press conference Thursday night, she said that 300 soldiers from the Arkansas National Guard arrived in New Orleans fresh from Iraq and are under orders to restore order from the “hoodlums.’’

She said of the soldiers: “They have M-16s and they are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot to kill . . . and I expect they will.’’

"On the political side of things, how come no one is asking where in the hell congress is?"

How about Washington DC? The Senate passed an emergency relief bill tonight, the House will do it at noon tomorrow.

Not to be political, but just as a point of procedure, it should be noted that unlike the President -- who can carry out his duties from anywhere, including his home -- the congress and senate must actually come to the office to work. Apparently they have had other priorities (read: vacation) up until now.

Not that there is really anything that they can do besides what they do best, which is to spend money.

The president can also declare a war and deploy thousands of troops to be on the ground of any country at any time and they would be there within a couple hours.....it seems tackling a federal disaster is much more than he can handle. SAD!

Off-topic and a technicality....but the President cannot declare war. Only Congress can do that. However, he can and does issue Executive Orders as Commander-in-Chief to deploy the military in a combat zone.

Back to the topic...

Within the last hour we are finally seeing troops and supplies get into New Orleans, 5 days too late.........How many peole were healthy on Monday that are dead today? This is unbelieveable. I hope someone is held accountable, and it's not the Mayor of New Orleans!

I hope someone is held accountable, and it's not the Mayor of New Orleans!
So, now that we have established that you have an agenda to have a specific person held accountable, regardless of culpability, why don't you just tell us who it is and why?

Not to be political....

:roll:

Your posts have become erratic and cold. I can't help but think you're putting a political spin on things. So in the interest of growing up, lets just ignore each other? I'll start.

I also am quite heart-broken. To think in this day and age, they we can't put any MORE effort into helping our own people, is just terrible, in our own county....they just sort of TALK about it, and never do it..

they just sort of TALK about it, and never do it..

AP: Bush began the day at the White House where he expressed unhappiness with the efforts so far to provide food and water to hurricane victims and to stop looting and lawlessness in New Orleans. "The results are not acceptable," said Bush, who rarely admits failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back