How was the 2004 chase season for you?

How was the 2004 chase season for you?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Mike Kruze
P.S. Anyone know the correct pronunciation of \"Norfolk, NE?\" On NWR and local news broadcasts I could have sworn I heard it pronounced \"Nor-fork.\" Where does the 'R' come from?

I pronounce it "Nor-fuq" :lol:

But the NE town that drives me nuts is Beatrice. I pronounce it "Bee-tris"....I refuse to say "Bee-aaa-triss."

Everytime I hear the Roboto voice say this town, I think it's gonna say "Biiiaatch"

Everytime I hear the Roboto voice say this town, I think it's gonna say \"Biiiaatch\"

I love being near the county of Menehaha in South Dakota. It always sounds like the robot is laughing.

What is making this season even better then outstanding chasewise is now that it's late June, it's freaking PERFECT out. I have on jeans and a hooded sweatshirt....in Nebraska....in late June.

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE
EVENING. NEAR RECORD LOWS IN THE UPPER 40S.

It has been so nice for days and days now and it's getting yet another shot of fall-like air. Might have to kick the furnace on tonight yet again. Tornadoes galore in the 2 months that matter the most chasewise, and then instead of 100/75 with no wind day after day, 62/44 with lows in the 40s at night.....

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
What is making this season even better then outstanding chasewise is now that it's late June, it's freaking PERFECT out. I have on jeans and a hooded sweatshirt....in Nebraska....in late June.

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE
EVENING. NEAR RECORD LOWS IN THE UPPER 40S.

It has been so nice for days and days now and it's getting yet another shot of fall-like air. Might have to kick the furnace on tonight yet again. Tornadoes galore in the 2 months that matter the most chasewise, and then instead of 100/75 with no wind day after day, 62/44 with lows in the 40s at night.....
AMEN!! I'm in sweats and a t-shirt with the windows open at the end of June!!

My season doesn't taper off until Sept (lightning). 8)
This year added Iowa & Illinois to chase states - I think that's 11 now. confessed drive-a-holic

Good, but not great. Circumstances kept me in the wrong geographic areas at the wrong times, with a couple exceptions. I was too busy with work to chase until mid-May, then had a travel day May 12 flying past the awesome storms in Kansas that day en route to a New Mexico vacation for the remainder of May. Had hoped to chase the panhandle area or NE NM, but the pattern was nothing like the past week or two, storms way north. (Now that I'm back in IL, there have been storms a-plenty in that area. And there were lots of storms here while I was in NM in May, too! One tornado hit 5 miles from my house while I was there. :x )

Still, I did have a good day May 29, catching the awesome supercell in OK. However, because I suckered north on the first good storm, I played catch-up with what became the storm of the day, missing most of the tornadoes but getting a low-contrast view of what was likely one of the tornadoes west of Geary. Also, a nice high-contrast landspout funnel or tornado on the flanking line (which dissipated before I could get a pic, naturally :cry: ), and a strongly-rotating anti-cyclonic wall cloud and funnel, along with the biggest hailstones I've ever seen :!: . Aside from that, I've only had two chase opportunities, but did catch an impressive HP supercell in SW IL June 18.

So, given that the combination of work commitments early in the season and geographic mismatch since have limited me to just 3 chase days, it hasn't been bad. Had the work and geographic timing worked out differently, it could have been great. Still hoping for some July opportunities in northern IL, IA, or northern IN, though.

UPDATE - JULY 11 - This year could make it into the "great" category yet. Got in 2 early July chases right out my back door, including the massive and photogenic July 5 storm that knocked out power to 200,000 in the St. Louis area. And this time, when a tornado was reported 5 miles from my house, I didn't miss seeing it, though I am awaiting verification because I was too far away and in town to see what was going on under the lowering. And, like the May 29 landspout, I didn't manage to get any pics of it either - I need to work on being quicker with my camera! At least I got some nice backlit structure shots of the storm earlier in the chase, though.

How was 2004... unbelievable!!! I don't think there is a word anywhere in the world that can describe the 2004 chase season.. to start things out, some stats using Shane's thingie...

CHASES - 21*
MILES - 13,965*
TORNADOES - 28*
TORNADO DAYS - 5*
STATES CHASED - CO, WY, NE, KS, OK, TX, IA, MO

*Personal Records

Noteworthy Stuff...
May 29 saw the most tornadoes in a single day than any other previous chase (15).
March 27 was my earliest chase conducted with earliest tornadoes (3).
May 12 was an incredible chase with (as Amos says) front row seats to 7 different tornadoes.
I spent nearly 70% of my chase miles on or north of I-70, yet saw all but 1 of my 28 tornadoes south of I-70 (most along Hwy 160).
Hwy 160 yielded 22 of my 28 tornadoes between Medicine Lodge and I-35
I got my first DCVZ tornadoes on July 15, breaking a several year drought.

As June comes to a close and I begin to prepare for a new apartment and the upcoming Fall semester, I have given in to the fact that my 2004 season is likely finished with the exception of some very local stuff that may get me outside the Denver city limits.. I still have hopes of peaking the 15,000 mile mark, but won't even begin to complain!

I came into the 2004 season with 3 goals:
1. To break the 10,000 mile mark
2. To score double digit (>10) tornadoes
3. To get my first Nationally televised tornado

After May 29 concluded, I had accomplished all 3. A trip of tornadoes would await me in June between Nebraska and Colorado, but I had basically scored what will likely be a career month in May, nabbing 22 tornadoes between the two big chase days for me (May 12 and 29).

This season was the most fun I have had chasing. Although some major disappointments and outside stress did come into play from time-to-time, this season will go down as one of my best, not only in terms of tornadoes, but just in how I was able to be out as much as I was. Add to that the people involved with my season, especially those whom I had the privilage to chase with; namely Blake Naftel, Amos Magliocco, the Weathervine Crew, Todd Sprinkman, and many others whom I ran across in my journeys. The experience was priceless; I learned so much this season in terms of forecasting, nowcasting, and field stuff. This was an incredible year all the way around.

I'm sure I'll have a few more small chases to add between now and September, as hopefully the monsoon season will kick in a bit and give me a few chances to score some good lightning shots. Maybe the Eastern Plains will yield a couple more twisters to bring my count to 30. Who knows? All I do know, I could retire as a chaser tomorrow and feel very happy with what occured for me this year. Again, major thanks to the earlier mentioned as well as the dozens of others who aided me along the way. Trust me, I know at least a dozen names I can't recall added to the many nowcasters myself and those I chased with kept on the phone.

Happy hunting for those still wandering around.. I, myself, hope to get a few more trips, but only Nature and time will tell.. be safe!

For a complete list of chase logs, visit my website at http://www.tornadoeskick.com and hit up the Chase Logs Section.

I never dreamed that the 2004 severe weather season would be so prolific in forms of tornado production following the amazing spectacles of nature encountered during 2003. The first chase of the season (27-March) began with four tornadoes and amazing storm structure following the excellent Iowa NWA severe storms and Doppler radar conference. Followed weeks later by numerous April chases:

17-18 of April across N. Central Iowa and Albert Lea, MN (one of two sweet spots for me this season); 20-April: near Cedar Lake, Indiana (a dusk/evening chase which resulted in a very close call); 22-April: Tulsa/Haskell, OK tornadoes (the Haskel, OK tornado made the season for me); 23-April: Psuedo-HP supercell which resulted in massive Dr. Pepper spillage, a flat tire that was fixed with two helpings of regular flavor Bubble Yum, and an empty water bottle which flew off my vehicle towards the windshield of a on-coming vehicle containing Dr. Howard Bluestien.

After the active March and April (early season) events; May madness marched towards the chasing masses; literally at times! Missing out on the 12-May tornadic events in S. CEN. KS (the second of two sweet spots); Tony Laubach (who was recovering from his then record day near Attica/Argonia) and I chased to Wichita Falls, TX and points south on the 13-May. This chase resulted in utter jackassery, massive spillage of carbonated beverages, and "the booger" heard round SPS. This was one of the most hilarious chases I've ever been apart of; but hey, at least we witnessed a rip-roaring and picturesque bow echo w/ stationary swirlies. The following weekend was spent in Norman; and attending Rocky R's rockin' storm chaser BBQ in Piedmont. Finally met Shane Adams (in person) for the first time; coupled with numerous other chasers I had been in contact with dating back to 10 years prior. Good times; of course I did become a security breach at the National Severe Storms Laboratory following a debacle of jackassery on my behalf. Life goes on however ;0)

My "tour of duty" for Tempest Tours began following my annual Iowa bust on 19-May; experiencing the bust with me were chase partners Steven Jascourt and Tim Jones; eventually meeting up with Todd Sprinkman and Scott Weberpal. Tour 3A of Tempest found me driving for a meteorology/geography class (of seven) from Illinois College in Jacksonville, IL. Bill Reid, Kinney Adams, Brian Morganti, Keith Brown, the IC folks, and myself were treated to the most prolific period of photogenic, slow-moving tornadic events in recent memory. Personally, I had never experienced a year such as this! From 22-May to 26-May; Bill, Kinney, and I had witnessed 11 tornadoes (22-May: Dewitt, NE; 24-May: Theyer Co. NE and Belleville, KS; 26-May: Red Rock/Sooner Lake, OK. I must say this was the *best* tour group I have ever taken out since embarking on the chase tour scene in 2001; and the weather finally cooperated in terms of tornado production.

The pinnacle day was 29-May near Argonia/Wellington/Wichita, Kansas. The chase tour was over; and I was finally free act independently. I was fortunate to have a wonderful chase partner/navigator this day; Melissa Moon; eventually meeting up and chasing with Tony Lauabch (whom we split off from prior to the tornadoes); Chris Nuttal and Kyle Moesley (whom accompanied us for the duration of the main event). This day resulted in the most photogenic large tornadoes and storm structure ever encountered together! I've seen tornadoes like that of the Argonia wedge; and structure; but never together! For the second time in a week, I was witnessing three tornadoes on the ground simultaneously. Totally, Mel, Chris, Kyle and myself viewed 11 tornadoes; and had the chase of our lives to date!

The season wasn't through yet; and while it wasn't a financially savvy chase; I certainly do not regret chasing to the Hawkeye state on 11-June. Scott Kampas and I witnessed a 15-minute photogenic tornado; coupled with the best and (only; to date) photogenic supercellular structure encountered in Iowa. This chase broke the long standing five-year curse of busts; and concluded in Rochester, MN with a gourgous "stormset". Scott and I chased into NE Kansas on 12-June; and tornadogenesis was oh-so-close near Riley, KS; but no cigar!

Finances, academic and personal commitments concluded the 2004 chase season (outside of local chases). Through the entire process, I learned several new life lessons; and or one's that stuck with/changed me as an individual; and made me a better human being (IMO) overall. I made so many new connections this season; namely at The University of Oklahoma; where I plan to pursue grad school (MS in meteorology) in a couple of years. I chased with a host of individuals; all whom were great, leaving lasting impressions that never will be forgotten... or at least should make for one VERY interesting chase highlight video later this year.

..Blake..

2004 is by far my best chase season. I can’t imagine I’ll ever having a better year.

For those of you that like stats.

Year 2004
# of chases 25
# of busts 1
# of tornado days 7
# of torndoes 41
# of hail (>2in) days 5
# of miles driven 14641
tornado time (minutes viewing tornadoes) 323
miles/tornadoes 357
Tor minutes/chases 12.9

Scott Currens

Eric Nguyen has posted pictures from our chases.
http://www.mesoscale.ws/

Although I still have a lot of work yet to do on chase reports and photos, here is my season summary/stats for 2004, using this thread's format:

- Chase days: 16
- Tornadoes: 12
- Tornado days: 6
- Miles: 12,400
- States: 14
- Round trips from West Virginia: 3
- Total time in the Great Plains: Just under 4 weeks
- Tanks of gas: Approximately 32
- Oil changes: 3
- Brake pads: 2
- MiniDV tapes: 35
- Fuel cost: Approximately $1000
- Total season cost (not counting equipment): Approximately $2000

I owe a big thanks to:
Dave Crowley & Justin Teague for excellent forecasting; Dave Crowley for the guest room and steak cookout in Tulsa, Pete McConnell, Damon Shaw & Fabian Guerra for an enjoyable week-long chase team-up; Bill Coyle, Dave Crowley and Tim Vasquez for nowcasting, and most of all thanks to the Lord for blessings of a great season, new friends, safety on the roads, and keeping the truck running for every one of those 12,400 miles.

I was thankful to be able to meet a lot of fellow chasers out in the field this year, I apologize for not being able to remember everyone's names, but it was great to see you all out 'under the meso' and look forward to meeting again in the future. If the Lord is willing I will be back in 2005!

Originally posted by Scott Currens
# of torndoes 41

Congratulations, Scott!!! You've tied the all-time known record for most tornadoes in a single year, that's amazing.

This year was incredible and I couldn't be happier. I got to see some amazing storms including the Hallem storm from the start which was hands down the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. Every thing just kind of went my way this year. The tornadic storms that I saw this year were the 3/27 Woodward County, 5/12 Harper County, 5/22 Hallem, 5/24 North Missouri, 5/29 Harper County, and 6/12 South central Kansas. In all I saw 21 tornadoes. I had some world class skunkings to go along with it though. I made the trip from Wichita to St. Cloud Minnesota, made an appearance in NW Nebraska, and saw every inch of Iowa, but the busts just made it all the sweeter.

Originally posted by Shane Adams+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shane Adams)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Scott Currens
# of torndoes 41

Congratulations, Scott!!! You've tied the all-time known record for most tornadoes in a single year, that's amazing.[/b]

Wow Scott, that is quite a number!!

That got me thinking - if one were to be fortunate enough to have picked the right storm (the 'storm of the day') on every tornado day this year (IE, May 29 Harper County, May 24 NE/KS border, May 12 Attica, June 11 Storm Lake, etc.) what would the maximum theoretical tornado count for a single chaser be? On that note, did any chaser actually bat 1000 on ALL of the big days in terms of being on the storm that everyone wished they were on?

Just off the top of my head it seems like a very skilled and lucky chaser could have seen 60 or more tornadoes this year. I can't think of another year where a number like that has been possible (IE maximum tornadoes a chaser could possibly see in a single season).

Originally posted by Dan Robinson

Wow Scott, that is quite a number!!

That got me thinking - if one were to be fortunate enough to have picked the right storm (the 'storm of the day') on every tornado day this year (IE, May 29 Harper County, May 24 NE/KS border, May 12 Attica, June 11 Storm Lake, etc.) what would the maximum theoretical tornado count for a single chaser be? On that note, did any chaser actually bat 1000 on ALL of the big days in terms of being on the storm that everyone wished they were on?

Just off the top of my head it seems like a very skilled and lucky chaser could have seen 60 or more tornadoes this year. I can't think of another year where a number like that has been possible (IE maximum tornadoes a chaser could possibly see in a single season).

I and my chase friends got on the "storm of the day" May 12th, May 22 (if Thayer county - Hallam storm was the S.of.the.Day, which it may not have been), and June 12th... Well, we were on the storm near Haskell and Muskogee OK April 22nd a netted a decent tornado...

Whatever the case, I agree that if someone, through some undeniable luck, got on the storm-of-the-day for all chaseable events, I could definately see someone bagging 60 tornadoes this year. I'd be up to over 30 had I been on the May 29th Harper co storm rather than the central OK HP beast. It HAS definately been an incredible year... Despite this, more than 50% of the chases I went on included a tornado (or 2, or 8)... The ONLY "cap bust" that I had this year was May 18th, when we waited around Wellington and ICT for initiation and got robbed as the cap held, but even that was an interesting chase since we got to view the damage from the 5/12 Harper F4 and others... I seriously can't imagine a better chase year. Sure, I could have gotten more tornadoes, but I'm 100% satisfied with the way things went this year... Welll, not 100%, only 90%, given how May 29th turned out. LOL you know it's been a good year if you witness an HP MONSTER with a couple of tornadoes (including a very nice anticyclonic tornado) and consider it not a complete success...

Originally posted by Shane Adams

But the NE town that drives me nuts is Beatrice. I pronounce it \"Bee-tris\"....I refuse to say \"Bee-aaa-triss.\"

Everytime I hear the Roboto voice say this town, I think it's gonna say \"Biiiaatch\"

You pronounce it like the name (as in, "Here is my daughter. Her name is Beatrice.") which is semi-correct. The town was named after the founder's daughter and perhaps that was the original way to say it (my last name is pronounced "Hay-dorn" in the US, but the true way to say it is "Haa-dorn" but we've learned to accept it as "Hay-dorn" and have said it that way for a long time). People in Beatrice have generally come to accept the fact that nobody can say the name right, so we don't care much anymore.

Back