How was the 2004 chase season for you?

How was the 2004 chase season for you?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How was the 2004 chase season based on what you saw compared to previous years? To provide the best comparison we ask that you judge it on meteorological merits and not consider circumstantial factors such as time off or new equipment.

Excellent. One day with tornadoes and several others with photogenic supercells after going all of 2002 and 2003 without a tornado.

Had MUCH success this year, so I voted outstanding. This is, by far, the most storms and the most amazing storms I've cought ever. Plus, read the OUN forecast discussion over in another topic, and it'll just get better!

2004 was by far the best year of my chasing career. I set personal records for many stats I keep, and obtained some of my career-best video documentation of tornadoes. Here's my 2004 statistics:

CHASES - 15
MILES - 6,882
TORNADOES - 24*
TORNADO DAYS - 6
SUCCESS RATIO - 1 IN 2.5*
STATES CHASED - KS,NE,OK,TX
*career high

Other personal records I either broke or set:

Most tornadoes in a day (11)
Most tornadoes in one state in a single year (19, KS)
First 20-plus tornado year
Numerous tornadoes on video that are among my best ever

This has been a dream year regardless, but it's especially sweet after what I went through in 2003. Several factors led to me losing my vidcam, and missing out on almost the entire chase year. However, as bitter and disappointing as 2003 was, 2004 was even more wonderful, productive, and good-old-fashioned FUN!!!

This year was fantastic! Downfall was lack of vacation to have a chasecation this year, but got in a few great chases.. May 22nd in Nebraska and then a week later on May 29th in SC Kans where I saw roughly 3 or 4 tornadoes that day.

I voted poor, all chases has been confined to West Michigan
and taking care of a 75 year old diabetic father with various
health problems, gives you no opportunties to chase far from home.

Mike

This year was amazing. I saw about 8 tornadoes making it the best year ever (not counting when I was with Cloud 9 in '97) I also saw some of the best storm structure I have ever seen.
I usually come out to the Plains and just sit under a death ridge. The chasing and forecasting experience has been valuable.

I am currently reviewing tapes and will soon be posting chase logs and an accurate tornado count.

Of course, I do have a bit of "tornado envy" as I see others with more photogenic or longer lasting tornadoes. I am glad that most everyone who chases (and was able to go to the Plains) saw at least one tornado. I just wish the tornadoes were over open ground and towns including Hallam were not damaged.

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

This year has been excellent for me as well. Had some great storms in my backyard 8) . Have another storm (non severe @ least at this point anyway) coming through now with a pretty cool lightning display :) .

I have to say my best chase year EVER! While I did miss a couple of big events, I was involved in some phenominal weather events this year, saw some awesome tornadoes and if I could get a couple more tornadoes this year I would beat my own personal record of 21 in one year. (Darn it for missing out on that one storm in KS by only miles!)

My only complaint is I AM STILL TIRED FROM IT! :lol:

The June 12 Rock, Kansas tornado for me personifies why this season has been so phenomenal - the storms did exactly what you wanted them to - and then some - over and over again.

After so many years of watching storms 'almost do it' then fall apart for one of various reasons, 2004 was the year when the storms went from high based to low based, from rain-free base to wall cloud, from wall cloud to funnel, to debris swirling on the ground......time and time again. The days of going home disappointed were overshadowed by the numerous days of going home awed, exhilarated and above all, satisfied.

The Rock tornado, while not the longest and most dramatic of the year for me, in my opinion is the epitome of why we chase. A wall cloud that waited patiently for us to stop and set up our cameras, then slowly and perfectly gave us a show from start to finish, topped off with spinning condensation all the way to the ground in front of a golden sunset-tinted sky. The wall cloud even moved west and parked over a break in the treeline in front of us, dropping the tornado in between the gap in the trees so it was completely visible the entire time. The tornado even stayed stationary between that gap for its entire life cycle, not moving out of view once - how could you ask for a better gift than that!!

I had an unofficial 'list' of tornado 'goals' (things I'd like to see in my lifetime) going into 2004, many of which I thought I would have to chase for 20 years to fulfill. The list included things like photogenic tornadoes, to hear the sounds, to get tornadoes at varying lighting conditions (frontlit, backlit), to get a debris cloud shot similar to 6/8/95 Pampa TX, to see a wedge tornado, etc. After 2004, the only item left undone on my 'list' is the wedge. And that's why 2004 gets my vote for OUTSTANDING.

May was an absolute blast for me. I got to do a lot of "spotting" from work being only one of a handful of people in my building that could tell the difference between a wall cloud and some scud. Didn't get to see much in the way of tornadoes. I do believe I saw what might have been the Hallam tornado from work, but I never could confirm or otherwise tell for certain.

It's sort of mean, but I also got a kick out of watching a girl from California freak out because she thought "it was the end of the world."

I also watched that "where the heck did you come from?" supercell that flew through Saunders and Lancaster counties here in Nebraska a while back. I could see the wall cloud on that thing all the way in Beatrice. One of my co-workers is a spotter for Gage and Lancaster counties and we both were scratching our heads trying to figure out where that cell came from because we were certain it was going to be a quiet day.

So it wasn't a bad season for me. I'm a bit disappointed by what June has so far brought me, but they can't all be winners.

By far the best year I have had. And that is with 19 yrs of doing it. 3 High risk days in a week in late May with all producing tornadoes.

For the season

Tornadoes for the yr =31
On same day =11

by state
Nebraska =11
Kansas =11
Texas =5
Oklahoma =4

If I could have chased each time I wanted to (work sux sometimes) I could have been around 50 for the yr (cant even imagine that).

Well, I haven't been in the game for too long, but my second spring of chasing has so far been my best. I got my first tornado (within an hours drive from campus, no less), which was absolutely gorgeous. I watched the video last night and I stared in awe at it (again!). I'm looking forward to an active fall. (PLEASE)

Ben
(the SDS is setting in again)

This was also my best year - with the week of May 22-29 being absolutely incredible - 17 tornadoes that week. The year got off to a slow start, and I went the longest I've gone without seeing a tornado. But overall the year seemed much more typical of what a good year should be. We'll be cheering for 2004 for years to come ... can't wait to see everyone's videos from this year.

Timing is everything

I flew out from Boston MA into Omaha on May 28. Landed at 2 p.m. and by 5:00 had bagged a nice wedge and an elephant trunk. Less than 3 hours after getting off of the plane! That NEVER happens. Should have bought a lottery ticket too.

After that it was a blue sky week. Save for a minor spin up in the Texas pan handle the following friday.

Just my luck. One of the most active seasons in years and I choose the wrong 10 days. Timing is everything I guess (should have booked a bigger window).

*sigh*

I sill came home happy. Planning 3-4 weeks next year.
Can't wait!

db

Back