How many tornadoes have you seen this season?

I had 6 chase days in the plains and drove a total of 8170 miles. Total tornado days were 3. I have got 7 tornadoes on video and several others that were brief either on video or camera and a couple of questionable ones. Not counting any of the question marks my total is 9. Three of the tornadoes were on the ground for longer than two minutes and two were greater than a quarter mile in width. My favorite one of the season was hands down the South Plains storm since it was pretty big and I was so close (less than a quarter mile). The biggest regret I have is not driving past the north cell on Monday to get to the south cell. All in all there were not that many tornadoes this year and there were very few large ones so I'm happy with what I did get. I'm done chasing tornadoes this year and will be moving on to the hurricanes. I enjoyed meeting so many of you and can't wait for next year (hopefully it is better than this one). Congrats to everyone on there catches.

this year

7 tornadoes for me, all in June. 6 of them came on Sunday the 12th. Not a bad way to end my season.

I saw two, when I wasn't chasing anything, just minding my own business! One was way too close and the other was white against a pure black sky. I told you folks, just walk out my back door and you'll get more than you bargined for! :wink: 8) :D

Not nearly enough. I'll be happy when I break MikeDs level for the year. I'm hoping for that one BIG multivortex event that puts me up over 100 for the year. Crossing fingers!!!

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
Not nearly enough. I'll be happy when I break MikeDs level for the year. I'm hoping for that one BIG multivortex event that puts me up over 100 for the year. Crossing fingers!!!

HA!

And to think here in Nebraska we haven't even hit the season of the weak, skinny landspouts which form under those July multicell clusters or their bigger cousins born from those HP bulldozers screaming south through here! A day like July 12, 2004 could certainly be worth 15-25 (or more!) tornadoes with some of the newer counting methods that have surfaced this season.

Catch me if you can H! MWUAHAHAHAHAHA
dr_evil_copy.jpg

Regards,

Mike

For this year, I will total my count of tornadoes at 14. Breaking it down farther, saw three small ones on May 13 in Texas, one on May 17 in Nebraska, another in Colorado on May 30, one on May 31 in Texas, and --MOST SPECTACULARLY-- At least EIGHT from one storm in Texas on June 12, 2005!

m6btor9.jpg

Here is just two of many tornadoes from the June 12 "dream chase".

Now, here is the tricky part, one of the tornadoes (I called it #6) on May 12 near Spur was multi-vortex. One large parent meso / tornado-cyclone spawining 8 fully-condensed suction (sub) vortices under it, sometimes two simultaneously. I counted this as ONE tornado (#6 on that cyclic supercell storm) since it was multi-vortex. Counting the sub-vortices would make the count go to about 20 or 21 ;-)

More details on June 12, 2005 are available below...

http://www.sky-chaser.com/mwcl05b.htm

Conservatively speaking, 12 - but possibly as many as 15, depending on the final tally from June 12 in Kent County, TX.

1 on May 30 near Pritchett, Colorado
1 on June 7 near Wanblee, South Dakota
5 on June 9 in Trego, Graham, Ellis and Rooks counties, Kansas
5 to 8 on June 12 in Kent County, Texas

Saw my first genuine wedge in Kent County on the 12th.

A 'rags-to-riches' season that started gloomy and ended up as good as 2004!

This year, I have seen a total of 12... all the real photogenic tornadoes were on April 10... everything else was buried in rain, horribly constrasted, or at night...

April 10: 5 in West Central Kansas
050410n.jpg

May 12: 2 in the Texas Caprock
May 13: 2 in Northern Texas
May 17: 1 in Southern Nebraska
050517a-5.jpg

May 30: 1 in Southeast Colorado
June 12: 1 in Central Texas

I missed the week in June due to work which served up gold dishes to those who could get out. This year has turned into more of a stat-padding year as aside from April 10's beauties, I haven't really had anything photogenic to speak of. Been a rough year for nice tornadoes for me.

27 tornadoes from 9 tornado days.
25,000+ miles of driving across 12 states.

1- March 21. Paris, TX
1- May 17. Cozad, NE
1- May 30. Pritchett, CO
1 - May 31. Amherst, TX
4 - June 6. Ekalaka, MT
1- June 7. Wanblee, SD
8 - June 9. Hill City / Ellis, KS
4 - June 11. Wayside, TX
6 - June 12. Jayton, TX

Scott Blair
http://www.targetarea.net/

1. And nothing glorius but for my first tornado on the ground I am fully and completly satisfied for the season. Dosen't mean I'm done chasing, and after last nights even south of Alva, i am hopeing that this isn't the end for the season!

Here's the breakdown of my tornadoes like others have done:

2 - April 21, Galesburg/South Mound, KS
5 - May 12, Plainview/South Plains, TX
1 - June 4, Piedmont, KS
1 - June 11, Wildorado, TX

I have a hard problem counting, but I do have a rough amount of what I got so far this year...

1 - May 10 / York, NE
4 - May 12 / South Plains, TX
1 - May 13 / Knox City, TX
1 - June 7 / Wamblee, SD
6-8 - June 9 / Hill City, KS Area
8-10 June 12 / Kent County, TX Area

I roughly estimated that I have seen somewhere around 2 dozen tornadoes so far this year...

In the interest of expressing some uncertainty to "what is a tornado?" I'll submit the following count from my 2005 chases:

April 10...Trego-Russel Co., KS <> 5 or 6?
June 6...Ekalaka, MT <> 2 to 4?
June 7...Badlands of SD <> 1 or 2?
June 9...Trego County, KS <> 1 or 2?
June 12...Kent County, TX <> 6 to 9?

The statistic I like most, personally, is tornady days, instead of individual tornado counts. 5 tornado days with 15 to perhaps 23 tornadoes in 2005 up to this point.

Mike U

I don't bother with counting individual tornadoes, but rather tornado events. Here are mine for this year:

http://www.texastailchaser.com/2005blog/20...50607/index.htm

http://www.texastailchaser.com/2005blog/20...50609/index.htm

http://www.texastailchaser.com/2005blog/20...50612/index.htm

I could add two other events if I wanted to very liberally define a "tornado", but I won't. :wink:

I should have been able to add three more events in here, but I made some bad decisions. Not complaining though because I've had a great year!!

Back