How many tornadoes have you seen this season?

I already made a thread identical to this one a few weeks ago. Anyways, I simply don't count anymore, its too much of a pain and "controversial", but I have seen somewhere over a dozen tornadoes between May until now...

Absolutely none!!! Spent the last two weeks in May chasing ridged junk, flew back for a quickie Saturday chase June 4th and missed the Hiawatha tornadoes by a few miles due to poor road choice. ARRGGGG!! I hate 2005. This has been the worst year ever. Not only did I not see any tornadoes, I hardly saw any decent structure.

Bill Hark

As Amos, David, etc, could testify, there were some incredible supercells in the plains this year. Unfortunately, they were very few and far between. The past week has been pretty good, as there have been 1 or 2 awesome supercells pretty much every day. However, if you weren't on those storms, there wasn't much to see. Yesterday was awesome if you were on the southern storm, but I don't know of anyone who target that area that far southwest (east of Lubbock). For me, it was a battle between waiting as long as possible in the much better tornado environment near CDS (very strong low-level shear there, while the shear east of LBB was much weaker owing to poor low-level flow), and facing reality that north Texas was not going to light up. More often than not, the southern storm takes the cake, and that was indeed the case yesterday. The storm turned hard right, which signficantly increased its SRH enough to produce large tornado(es). I needed to face reality earlier than I did and should have hit up the tail-end charlie with the rest of the folks. I'm just frustrated that I happened to be on the wrong storm nearly every chase...

No tornadoes at all this year. I'm thinking of writing my congressman to plead for Federal assistance in alleviating this year's tornado shortage ;).

I have 8 which I am glad to have considering the pickings but have missed a few big days due to obligations or now medical reasons. I dont feel bad because most of the days I could chase we had the right target area so its not like I blew any chases just couldnt always chase or the target was too far for me to get too.

I will say May 12th near South Plains was the storm of the year for me and Kanani and made the rest of the year icing. Just wish I could have chased this past saturday and sunday.

Amazing... saw only 5 up through yesterday, then observed the southern cell produce 16 tornadoes !!! :shock:

This one definitely falls into the "luck" category. My chase partners and I were basically on this storm from start to finish.

So if my math is correct, I've managed to get 21 tornadoes on video and photo this year.

Spent the last two weeks in May chasing ridged junk, flew back for a quickie Saturday chase June 4th and missed the Hiawatha tornadoes by a few miles due to poor road choice. ARRGGGG!! I hate 2005.

C'mon Bill--you got to chase with me and that's always...well, it's sometimes...but every now and again...The important thing is...

Well, you got to chase with me :)

One tornado...after dark...lasting <15 seconds. Says it all this year.

But...I did catch all those rainbows (see previous posts).

2005 Stats thus far...

CHASES: 19
MILES: 11,240
AVERAGE CHASE DISTANCE: 601 miles
TORNADOES: 9
TORNADO DAYS: 4
SUCCESS RATIO: 1 in 4.8
STATES CHASED: KS,NE,OK,TX

Despite a horrid home stretch, I did fairly well on the days I got to chase. As always, I missed much of the "meat" of the season as it occurred late into the year and of course far, far away from Norman. Despite my modest numbers, the tornadoes I did see were very cool, and often-times not seen by many others, yielding what should be a fairly unique DVD late this year. I'm just thankful I get the opportunity to chase, and am just grateful to be out there to begin with. There's nothing better in the Universe than chasing and documenting tornadoes on video.

I am sitting at 13. I would have been at 14, but I dropped one from earlier this season that I am not sure about. Hopefully the season still has a couple good tornado days left.

Back