Hottest summer since the Big Bang??

How Hot is It?

• Total voters
haha....just wanted to get you to open this.

Seriously though is has been HOT HOT HOT in Southern California. Some parts of this area of the state are obviously used to the heat, i.e. Palm Springs. But us coastal folks are screaming for mercy! San Diego (lindberg field) hit 99 degrees last saturday which smashed the record for the day and was one degree away from tying the all time record of 100 set on septmeber 25 1989.

Escondido broke their all time record high by TWELVE degrees hitting 112 on Saturday.....and records have been kept there since 1900!!

What IS extremely unusual about this heat wave is the time of year. It is NOT uncommon for Santa Ana/LA/San Diego to approach 100 in late sept./oct. due to the santa ana wind/downsloping effect. But, never before have temperatures of this magnitude been reached this early in the year. This is especially true for the extreme humidity.....when the Santa Ana's blow thru in late fall it might be 100 but its also very dry. Dews have been in the low 70s this time around!

Overall, a very very unusual pattern along the coast here in Southern California. Whether this is a blip on the screen or a localized side-effect of a warming planet.....who knows? All I know is that it is H-O-T!

p.s. surf temperatures have been running in the low 70s since june which is also very anamolous. temps usually run in the 66-68 range.

1980, 1994, 1998, and 2000 are the hottest Summers for me. I could only find records for 98 and 00, though my search was brief.

July 2006: 10 days over 100 with an average of 103.8*

July 2000: No days over 100
August 2000: 24 days over 100 with an average of 101.6*
September 2000: 7 days over 100 with an average of 105*

July 1998: 20 days over 100 with an average of 103.75*
August 1998: 12 days over 100 with an average of 102.4*
September 1998: 6 days over 100 with an average of 104.3*

*includes only 100-degree or above days

This year doesn't even come close. 1980, 1994, 1998, 2000...now those were hot Summers.
[/b]

yep....i was living in ausitn texas in 2000.....i remember those all-time record smashing temps in early sept.

1980 also always comes up as a year when many records were set in the southern plains. i think dallas set their all time record high that year?

i thought this was interesting:

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - July 2006 is on track to be the hottest month in the Netherlands since temperatures were first measured in 1706, the Dutch meteorological institute KNMI said on Tuesday.

Average daily temperatures in the first 24 days of July were a record of 22.3 degrees Celsius (72.14F) compared with the previous record of 21.4 degrees in July 1994 and normal average temperatures of 17.4, the KNMI said.

"July 2006 is the hottest month ever," it said in a statement.[/b]

i love that last statement....makes me laugh!! hottest month EVER :rolleyes:

In the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex in the summer of 1980, all 31 days in the month of July were recorded over 100 degrees and I believe they hit a record of 42 consecutive days in a row at or over 100 degrees. As Shane previously mentioned, this summer isn't even hot compared to others in the past.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/heatindex/heat4.html

It's been hot this year but thus far, it hasn't beat 1988 (temps near 110 for a good stretch), 1980 ( I moved here from SoCal and everything was burnt to a crisp!), and 2000 (hot and dry, just like 2006!)

I came to OK as a freshman at OU in 2000. Holy crap, what an introduction to weather in Oklahoma. As toasty as it was here this year, 2000 whips it hands down. It was consistently 100+ week in and out without a cloud in the sky. For awhile, I wondered if I came to the right place to study meteorology :D

Aaron

i thought this was interesting:
i love that last statement....makes me laugh!! hottest month EVER :rolleyes:
[/b]

What's so funny? That average daily temp for the Netherlands obviously means that a lot of their summer days have been in the 90s - as that's how you figure average temps. With high temps like THAT - you're damn right it's the Netherlands' hottest summer. Just as it is for the UK where I'm from. Nothing to roll your eyes at......

Not everybody lives this close to the Equator....... :rolleyes:

KL

It's not that we're making light of their record Summer, but believe me - I've been laughed at many times for talking about Oklahoma's winter cold, which to me is a big deal. I think I've earned the right to scoff a bit myself B)

What's so funny? That average daily temp for the Netherlands obviously means that a lot of their summer days have been in the 90s - as that's how you figure average temps. With high temps like THAT - you're damn right it's the Netherlands' hottest summer. Just as it is for the UK where I'm from. Nothing to roll your eyes at......

Not everybody lives this close to the Equator....... :rolleyes:

KL
[/b]

Yeah I was just poking fun because it's certainly not the hottest month EVER. Yes, maybe in recorded history, after instrumentation became more reliable, but not EVER as in the 4.5 billion year history of our planet. :p

1988 is far and away the hottest summer I've ever experienced around here. The longevity and intensity of the heatwaves that year will be very hard to surpass around here...

It's not that we're making light of their record Summer, but believe me - I've been laughed at many times for talking about Oklahoma's winter cold, which to me is a big deal. I think I've earned the right to scoff a bit myself B)
[/b]

Good grief! An Oklahoman complaining about winter cold? Dude, genuine cold is a sensation you guys have never felt. Check out our climate page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg#Climate. if you dare.

Sorry, man, but I'm still laughing :lol:

John
VE4 JTH

Good grief! An Oklahoman complaining about winter cold? Dude, genuine cold is a sensation you guys have never felt. Check out our climate page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg#Climate. if you dare.

Sorry, man, but I'm still laughing :lol:

John
VE4 JTH
[/b]
John, you beat me to it. Oklahoma winters are quite pleasant IMO (a little more snow would make them better, though). The only time I wear more than a jacket in the winter here is temps close to 30F and wind over 20mph. Now this summer crap....I'm ready for the next ice age!!!!!!

Yup...I can't stand the heat either. Summer is my least favorite month!

Spring #1 (Duh....)
Fall #2 (The REAL football season begins...not that cheesy overseas stuff people go fruity over..)
Winter #3 ( I love a good blizzard)
Summer #4 (a distant #4)

I do enjoy the monsoon moisture that creeps in once in a while in the summer.

Perhaps Aaron Kennedy will pack me in his luggage on his way to ND this fall...

Coco would be pissed....she wouldn't have anybody to chew on.

Tim

Back