Phoenix's Record Heat is Killing Off Cactuses

Randy Jennings

Supporter
If this was a joke - it would go like this: "It's so hot outside (How hot is it?) That cactuses are dying in Phoenix." But it isn't a joke. "At a botanical garden in Phoenix some cactuses can’t take the heat. Record-high temperatures in Arizona, combined with a lack of seasonal monsoons, have caused saguaro cactuses at the Desert Botanical Garden to become “highly stressed,” according to Chief Science Officer Kimberlie McCue. She said a saguaro can appear “fairly normal” or feel somewhat squishy before it suddenly collapses and reveals it has been rotting from the inside out due to heat-related stress."

Full story with photo at: Phoenix's record heat is killing off cactuses | CNN

Article mentions Tuscon. That area of Arizna has more of those saguaros. Phonex was never ideal, and not it's getting stressful. Tuscon is a little higher elevation so it's not as hot.

I would like to see a little more data before sounding the "global warming alarm." Considering this is a CNN report, I'm reluctant to take it at face value as they often get a little heavy-handed with global warming issues. (I do believe in global warming BTW).

Having lived in the desert here in Tucson for over 50 years, I've seen many Saguaros die, but it's generally a factor of poor replanting and over watering issues resulting in shallow root structure. Experts at the Desert Museum in Tucson have also stated the cold weather we often have in the desert can also be a factor, which is not mentioned.

Attachments

• W-x60-original.jpg
    W-x60-original.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 0
Back