• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Historical views of outlooks, tornado reports etc

Skärmavbild 2023-10-18 kl. 07.40.36.png

I created a storm chaser web application in 2021 (mentioned previously here) that I have been working with on and off since: StormCenter (previously StormWindow). One of the features I am quite excited about myself is to be able to look at storm history and review how certain days and months panned out in terms of SPC outlook and the resulting amount of tornadoes etc.

In StormCenter I have a section with historical outlooks, tornado reports etc from 2004 until now. One can look at a heatmap of tornadoes per month etc. and see all the details of that day (like if there was a StormTrack thread about the day, for instance). I don't know if it is only me who is geeky about this kind of data but I find it very interesting to look at. I am hoping you guys may as well! If so, please give me some feedback on features you would like to have. For example, I am currently developing a feature to analyze a set date range for every year, like: how has May 20th to May 27th been since 2004.

The chaser map, on which the application is built around, has also been developed further since my last announcement but I had a major blow when Twitter changed their API recently so I can no longer show tweeted photos or tweets in the map - which was a really cool feature :( At the moment, not much is happening but during active days it shows all kinds of reports on the map etc.

Back