Heavy Freezing Spray Warning ??

Cstok

EF4
On the NWS site as of - WED 11.10.2004 12:46:17 AM (EST), they have issued a Heavy Freezing Spray Warning??

I couldn't find out where... but what the heck is that? Has anyone ever experienced this? What are the technical parameters that must be met to require this kind of warning?

... sigh... you know May is far off when I am asking about Freezing Spray Warnings *sniff* :(

Originally posted by Cstok
On the NWS site as of - WED 11.10.2004 12:46:17 AM (EST), they have issued a Heavy Freezing Spray Warning??

I couldn't find out where... but what the heck is that? Has anyone ever experienced this? What are the technical parameters that must be met to require this kind of warning?

... sigh... you know May is far off when I am asking about Freezing Spray Warnings *sniff* :(

Heavy Freezing Spray is when strong winds blow across a large lake or ocean sending spray/mist into sub freezing air... It accumulates along the immediate shore or on ships.

a. Non-Tropical Storm Related Headlines. In the OFF, forecasters should use the following
headlines, in the priority order given, if appropriate criteria are or are expected to be met.
1. Hurricane Force Wind Warning
2. Storm Warning
3. Gale Warning
4. Heavy Freezing Spray Warning
Based on event significance, forecasters may include advisories for events expected to
impact the forecast area such as freezing spray, restrictions lowering visibilities below
1 NM, or volcanic ash fallout.

From the NWS' Marine Division's directive as of July 2004

Originally posted by rdewey
Heavy Freezing Spray is when strong winds blow across a large lake or ocean sending spray/mist into sub freezing air... It accumulates along the immediate shore or on ships.
This is dangerous for watercraft in several ways: In addition to making the deck slippery (duh), accumulated ice can jam equipment topside and also raises a boat's center of gravity.

Originally posted by Cstok

I couldn't find out where... but what the heck is that? Has anyone ever experienced this? :(

Yes, I have experienced this while working in the Bering Sea off the coast of AK. Because of the extreme cold air the sea spray will freeze almost instantly on exposed surfaces. As mentioned above this is very dangerous for marine traffic, as it can add so much weight to one side of a craft that they can actually roll over and capsize. Many fishing vessels have been lost this way. Build up can exceed 12â€￾ in depth if not removed. Many times I have had to remove ice with the use of a baseball bat. A very cold and tiring job. The attached page has a picture of this http://www.accentalaska.com/Industry.html

I too was curious as to what exactly the technical requirements were, so I submitted a question on the 'weather.gov' comments thing, and like two hours later I got this reply.

A Heavy Freezing Spray warning is issued for open waters in and around
Alaska when the following criteria are met:
Wind > 15 kt
Air Temperature < 26F
Sea Surface Temperature < 5C.

More information is posted at:
http://www.nwas.org/committees/smos/FreezingSpray.htm

Sea surface temp < 5 C. Oh mannn! I surf here in So. Cal and I complain when the temps drop to the mid 50s F. Just thinking about that makes my bones ache.

Back