Priorities people....

Everyone including the author before it touched down, as it was lifting, and when damage was seen. Curiosity killed the cat. Look at the LSR of storm chaser reports tornado, large tornado crossing I 55, etc. Bart Comstock and Skip Talbot were also very active in reporting.

If you watch my 55 video you actually hear me dial 911 (time number 2) before the video ends. After my first 911 call after about 2 mins the sirens in Litchfield blew...even though they had been under a warning 20 mins prior. Puzzling

I wonder how many people reported that tornado?

I was very impressed with how well the initial tornadoes (the ones from discrete supercells that weren't heavily rain wrapped) were reported on Tuesday. I saw multiple LSR's come in for each the Bowling Green, Girard, and Litchfield tornadoes from multiple sources including law enforcement, EMA, spotters, public, and chasers. Looking at the NWSChat logs I can see that the NWS was actively taking reports via the chat, from live streams, and from Spotter Network. Timmer, Lucio, Comstock and myself all streamed those tornadoes live. My Spotter Network report didn't show up in the LSR's but three other LSR's did pop up from the Girard tornado so its not as though it was necessary. I know this thread probably had little to do with the abudance of reports on Tuesday, but it was ringing bells in the back of my head. I was quite busy driving/navigating at the time of touchdown so I had Jenn hop on SN for me to hit the button. Anyway, hats off to all those who got timely reports into the NWS on Tuesday.

I was very impressed with how well the initial tornadoes (the ones from discrete supercells that weren't heavily rain wrapped) were reported on Tuesday. I saw multiple LSR's come in for each the Bowling Green, Girard, and Litchfield tornadoes from multiple sources including law enforcement, EMA, spotters, public, and chasers. Looking at the NWSChat logs I can see that the NWS was actively taking reports via the chat, from live streams, and from Spotter Network. Timmer, Lucio, Comstock and myself all streamed those tornadoes live. My Spotter Network report didn't show up in the LSR's but three other LSR's did pop up from the Girard tornado so its not as though it was necessary. I know this thread probably had little to do with the abudance of reports on Tuesday, but it was ringing bells in the back of my head. I was quite busy driving/navigating at the time of touchdown so I had Jenn hop on SN for me to hit the button. Anyway, hats off to all those who got timely reports into the NWS on Tuesday.

The Girard Tornado couldn't have technically been on the ground (swirling dirt) for more than a minute when you could hear the sirens start to wail. Right after I set up (which took all but a few seconds and it hadn't quite gotten under way) I heard the sirens so I was like "Cool, they got this" and went about my business. Once the dust settled and I got back to my vehicle, I called ILX. I was like "You probably already know this but a large tornado just set down N of Girard." They said "Yeah we know" so I then proceeded to offer visual description of the damage I could see at that time (power poles and lines). Heading home that night and playing everything over in my head including my decision to not call in, I concluded it was alright for what's the point in wasting their time or mine relaying information they already knew. Once the sirens go off then the warning process is complete. It certainly wasn't my intent to see anything let alone have to call anything in but for that situation and the way it developed so rapidly, it's impressive how many people were immediately all over it. The tornado went from dirt swirls W of town to EF3 in approximately 5 minutes. Still trying to wrap my head around that aspect.

Edit: The owner of the property to take a direct hit was out with his livestock. He saw the tornado as the sirens were simultaneously going off and took shelter in the house with his girlfriend. The way everything played out in those five minutes which enabled them to take cover in a timely manner couldn't have fell into place more perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danny

Read your blog post from 4/15/11 about the nws comments.

I worked for the NWS for 32 years, (including last 7 years at LOT) 5 1/2 years retired now. Can not comment on what is reported back to the nws currently with all the video, SN, etc, but I can comment of what I observed in the office prior to retirement. You can not imagine how few live reports came into the office from anyone (spotters, law enforcement, emergency management). Even when we saw big storms in populated areas, we would be lucky to receive 1 report back. Not talking about tornadoes specifically, just any reports back (wind, hail, flooding, etc). Our job in the office the next day was to hit the phones hard to try to scrounge up reports from the previous days weather.

Just from the reading, it sounds like nothing has changed in a general regard. So I do not believe this was an isolated incident, it sounds to me like the "chasers" have not had a mindset change on the whole. To me, their #1 priority should be the report, the video, etc #2. Looks like there area still a number out there that have this reversed.

You may post this on your blog page if you wish.
--
Allan Fisher
Had another NWS met (retired) email me about my blog posting.... I would think things got much better since hes been retired (5+ years now). Perhaps if chasers/spotters/etc start flooding in reports (in the future) it will satisfy their thirst? Makes you wonder if this was an underlying reason why they started the report by Twitter/Facebook... to make reporting that much easier (but not necessarily more accurate) Just passing along the word.

Back