Heat wave!

Hi Craig! Oh dude....the electric bills here are outta site, as you might imagine. Of course, most of it is due to the heat. And incredibly, most all of the new homes being built around here have these really high vaulted ceilings.....I mean really really tall....which makes zero sense at all. And as you know, heat rises, and it gets stuck up around the tops of the rooms and just sits there and doesn't get moved out. These new homes (thank God mine isn't) that people are moving into here in Arizona need a massive amount of air conditioning to negate all that hot ceiling air, and they pay through the nose for it.
But yeah, it's hot here, but I was raised part time in Nebraska too, and the heat that you guys get in Iowa is just like Nebraska....and it ain't no party either. I can remember as a kid my uncle coming in at lunchtime (back there it's called dinner) after being on the old Allis all morning (Allis Chalmers-tractor) and just sprawling out on the farmhouse floor in front of an old rotary fan...just dead to the world from the heat.
I guess I should make it very clear that he was hot and tired from being on the Allis..........not being ON ALICE...lol. Yee haw.

Did you see that the low in death valley this morning was 102 and the low Monday was 104. At least those are the lowest temps on the two day history. What a way to start off the day.

Just imagine leaving you car windows closed all day there and then getting right in and sitting down in shorts.... :lol: :shock:

W. Grant Dade wrote:
Did you see that the low in death valley this morning was 102 and the low Monday was 104. At least those are the lowest temps on the two day history. What a way to start off the day.

Well, it's been terrible hot the last two weeks here in northeastern CO. We had 12 straight days of temps above 90, most of that being in the upper 90's, from July 5 to July 17,(it was a long stretch, but not quite as long as the 17 day stretch in 2000, that was a hellish summer and a half) and then we had a nice, two day break when we were in the upper 80's (Sunday and Monday). Then that heat ridge rebuilt and out here at our place we hit 104 degrees about two o'clock in the afternoon. Denver even hit the century mark. We're predicted to stay in a temperature range from 98 to 102 degrees all the way to Saturday. God it's going to be miserable. :evil: Well, at least it's a dry heat, so it's more bearable than that luverly humid heat everyone east and south of North Platte, Nebraska has to deal with, poor suckers he he he... :) But I feel really sorry for Joel, Susan, and anyone else living in Arizona. That must be like living in a blast furnace day and night. Hoping and praying that Emily's remnants kick the monsoon in the tail and get the moisture streaming northwards by early next week. God only knows the entire Desert Southwest and Inner Mountain West needs it. :evil:

Las Vegas tied their all time record of 117 yesterday.

Although, their average is 105.

Something about 102 for an overnight low in Death Valley, now that is interesting. And everybody is always told that deserts are supposed to be really cold at night. All that daytime heat must be stored in the ground. With depoints in the 40's or lower you'd think it would be cooler at night.

Damn its hot!

Its 95F right now with a dew point of 76F!! in Iowa City, Iowa.......

The forecast highs for Tulsa the next two days is 100! :evil:

At least I've just about licked my car's overheating problem. 8)

We tied the all-time record in Denver... here's the excerpt from the NWS bulliten this afternoon...

Originally posted by NWS Denver

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOULDER CO
358 PM MDT WED JUL 20 2005

...ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR DENVER TIED AT 105...
...HOTTEST JULY DAY IN DENVER HISTORY...
...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET FOR JULY 20TH...

AT 337 PM...THE TEMPERATURE CLIMBED TO 105 DEGREES AT DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. THIS TIES THE HIGHEST TEMPERATURE EVER RECORDED IN DENVER WEATHER HISTORY. THE LAST TIME 105 DEGREES WAS REACHED WAS 127 YEARS AGO ON AUGUST 8 1878.

IN ADDITION...THIS IS ALSO THE HIGHEST TEMPERATURE EVER RECORDED FOR THE MONTH OF JULY. THE OLD RECORD HIGH FOR THE MONTH OF JULY WAS 103 DEGREES SET ON BOTH JULY 8 1989 AND JULY 6 1973.

THIS ALSO SETS A NEW RECORD HIGH FOR JULY 20. THE OLD RECORD WAS 102 DEGREES SET IN 1939.

STAFF

Its possible to accomplish the same tomorrow, perhaps even break the 105 mark. High temps expected to climb to 100 and beyond. Clouds limited heating today in some cases; tomorrow expected to be less so its likely to see temps the same as today. With a daily record breaking high before noon this morning, wouldn't be surprised to see the all-time record fall tomorrow!

Well. we are in Day 4 of our 100 + degree heatwave in Colorado, with highs expected to climb once again into the low 100's. On Wednesday the high in the little town of Sedgwick, just west of Julesberg, reached 114 degrees! :shock:
This tied the all time state record. There were only two other occassions when it got this hot in Colorado: at Las Animas on July 1, 1933 and also at Sedgwick on July 11, 1954. So it hasn't been this hot in over 51 years. I don't know what it is about Sedgwick that makes it so hot, but with it now holding the all time state high temp record two times running, it is officially the Colorado Hotspot. Cripes! This is ridiculous. We hit 106 degrees at my farm yesterday and we're predicted to hit 105 today. Even though it's a dry heat, their has been a near constant breeze out of the east/southeast that just makes it feel like a blast furnace. We only go outside when we have to. I can't wait for this heat wave to be over; it's been absolutely miserable! :evil:

A heat advisory has been issued for a large part of Iowa from noon Saturday until 9pm Sunday, temps should get into the middle to upper 90s tomorrow with dewpoints running in the 70s to around 80F! :shock:

Back