Heat wave!

Craig Maire II

Well its 11:43am and already we are at a sultry 86F with a dewpoint of 72F, forecasted high for today is 92F! Lately, between the hordes of mosquitos and the muggy stagnant air it has been pretty uncomfortable here in the good old state of Iowa. Temps are forecasted to stay in the lower to middle 90s until Monday so it looks like the dog days of July are here and its time to crank up the air conditioners, jump in the pool, etc.!!!We have reached 90F here in Waterloo and in many other parts of the state the last 2 days and looks like we'll do the same today and once we do, we will "officially" be in a heat wave. :D

I was just taking a look at some temp forecasts for today. Las Vegas' high for the next three days is 116. In Death Valley the temp should reach 126 today.
Now, I realize this is the desert but geez, these are pretty impressive temps for this time of year in that area.
Currently it is 89 in Tulsa at noon... In comparison to the temps listed above, I am thankful!

I agree

I agree Steve! Humidity or almost no humidity, 116F is still hot!!! :D

Here in Denver, we've been running quite a string of days of 90 plus degree temps. Today, we've already tied and may break the old record of 101 at DIA. Been dry for the most part, too! :cry:

Susan,
you call 92F a low!!!?? :lol: :lol:
Today in Cedarfalls Iowa, we are headed for a high in the mid 90s! :cry: :lol:

Here in Iraq, it's been 125 a few days, and last night's LOW was in the upper 90's!! :shock: :shock: Now that will make you sweat your arse off! :lol: Try wearing the combat uniform and the body armor, then you'll really complain how soaked you are!

Death Valley/ Furnace Creek is supposed to have a high of 130F today and 128F tomorrow! :shock: I was in 128F once and it was hot, 130F must be crazy. Here in Leadville we are having searing hot temperatures of 80F-83F! :lol: Today we should be in the upper 70's. I guess the heat wave does not apply to us. :lol:

Edit: They changed the high temp for Death Valley to 128F for today but that is still extremely hot.

Yesterday (Sunday) the Duluth Sky Harbor airport, which is next to Lake Superior downtown (the official temps come from the Int' Airport and NWS which are at the top of the hill away from the lake:

High temp of 99 ! In Duluth! This was after the wind switched to the south.

Finally a short break from the heat!

A cold front passed through Iowa last night and besides a few storms etc. it brought a short reprieve from the hot/sultry weather! This will be short lived though because by the middle of the week temps should be back in the lower to middle 90s with high dewpoints.... :cry: Thank god for the pool and awsome air conditioner at our new apartment!!!!! :D :D

I own a business where I work all day / 5 days a week in the sun. Today it was 107 with a mid 50 dew. Been 34 straight days of over 100...which is second place all time in Az. Also...been 22 straight days of 104 plus....also 2nd. place alltime.
A dry heat?? Haha. Come hang with me and you might just melt!

Wow!

How's your electric bill Joel??? :lol: If it was that hot hear I dont think I would ever go outside... :lol:

Joel ewing wrote:
I own a business where I work all day / 5 days a week in the sun. Today it was 107 with a mid 50 dew. Been 34 straight days of over 100...which is second place all time in Az. Also...been 22 straight days of 104 plus....also 2nd. place alltime.
A dry heat?? Haha. Come hang with me and you might just melt!

Chicago is in a extreme drought right now, the stretch of hot weather crazy right now. Sunday at 97 was the hottest day since 1999, they are predicting 100+ on both sunday and monday.

from WGN

from June 1- July 18

Driest on record (0.89)

5th warmest (85.6)

15th with amount of 90+days (13) with 5 predicted through monday

We have had less rain since march 1st than the really bad 1988 drought

We have had terrible luck with rain, on the 4th storms moved 1 mile to the north of me. All the MCS clusters died over northern illinois due to the dry ground. this has been the year that Chicago continually misses rain, today was a perfect example of what has happened most of this summer. Storm form on a cold front about 15-20 miles se of city and we are left bone dry.

the only good thing is that the dew points are unusually low for the heat we have. 90+ in chicago and you think 70+ dewpoints but with the ground being so dry the dewpoints have stayed in the low 60's

Holy $h!t!

Chicago goes from no summer at all in 2004, to a hot, sweltering drought.
Oh, the occaisonally unpredictable Chicago weather.

Here in Iraq, it's really predictable

Next 15 days: Partly to mostly sunny, highs 115-130, lows 85-100.

Back