GoDaddy Webhosting/Domains

Missed this one. I'll be able to tell on tonight's new stats update. I hope so. Thanks again for mentioning it. Are they really bandwidth proof I wonder, or is there a point they'll shut your butt off.

Well, I've never heard of them shutting anyone off, but I suppose it's possible. :) I have a paid account and I've hosted 800kb images there that ended up getting thousands of hits, and they never blinked. I think they say that if the bandwidth gets high enough, they'll stick an ad on the Flickr page that loads when you actually click the hotlinked image, but I've never seen them do that, either.

Godaddy is getting a big ol thumbs down from me on support with this stats updating issue. Good lord. I've just sent my 5TH request to fix it. Sure they fix the issue soon enough(that's good!), but guess what.....it's only fixed when they reset it! So I've now had to contact them 5 times because it won't freaking update on its own(and it's not a cache issue as I'll clear that and try and it only starts to work again after they do something...plus the program start time info updates, but the stat info doesn't). I've even gotten more upset with my wording in each e-mail. I mean is it that hard to see what they are doing isn't actually fixing the damn problem? The last response asked me to list a step by step way I come to this problem if I have it again. LOL! Ok, I log into my stats section....idiots. Just how many steps are there???? Just the one!

Now I see when I log into my hosting account it says 1,130 gigs of bandwidth used on that screen. But when I get to see my stats pages they say 1,700 gigs. Hmmm, which one matters!

As annoying as it is I guess one has to just put up with it as there ain't much out there offering 2,000 gigs for $15 a month...and handling it when it happens. I almost wonder if the stats page problem is happening from trying to load all the refering urls and whatnot, since that list alone is rather long. Anyone else with godaddy have stats updating issues?

Sigh. When this first started(the first day after I saw stats right after start up.....took another 4 days or so before I saw new updated info....I finally had to e-mail after the 4th day with no update) I asked them when they updated, if it was daily and if it was just any ol time of day or at a specific time. I was told they update daily at midnight. So what do I get for a reply on this one. She says:

Thank you for contacting Online Support. Statistics are updated once daily. There is not a specific time of day that the statistics are updated to show the previous days statistics. If your statistics are over 48 hours delayed, you can contact us, and we will update them.

So this was my 5th time getting this fixed(in 24 days lol), the 4 previous ones were over 48 hours(they should be able to see this in their records). The time on the stupid report says the program did it's update at midnight like always, but it also showed the information was old and not updated. So I guess the plan of action is for me to keep contacting them. What is 48 hours after no specific time of day? 71 hours and 59 minutes? Then add in the time it takes them to reply and update it(the time 2 before this took 36 hours after I e-mailed.....then I had to CALL because it wasn't fixed yet and I had recieved no e-mail after their 24 hour 'gaurantee'...then they magically got it to update over the phone right then and there) and so one is looking at 3-5 days of unseen bandwidth comsumption. It just really sucks that there has not been any insight from them as to why it keeps happening. It's just, well contact us later and we'll update it for you. On and on. It's like they don't even care how many times they've already had to do this and seen it's not freaking working. Hell, if it screws up all the time and can take several days to update, especially if the stats are long....I'd take that for an answer! Something!

It's kind of funny just how rarely I have ever bothered looking at stats stuff. I really don't care for it normally. But if bandwidth overages are that much and I was well on the way, I sort of have to see it! Then in my first e-mail on this today I also asked about why my account page says 1,133 gigs used and my stats page says 1,700...which one was right? Is that at all answered in my e-mail here? Hell no. How hard would that have been for her to answer, I mean c'mon. Thanks! I mean that is all I care to see and know....one little number. If she said the one in the accounts section is the one to worry about, I'd probably never contact them again over stats pages.

I can't wait till February. Outside of this problem I've been very happy. I just hope for no other problems because I could see support for it being a pain. This repeating problem isn't being delt with outside of the quickest simplest fix, that usually fails the very next update.

Not sure which interface GoDaddy is using - but if it's Plesk, then yes, it has the annoying function of only updating your traffic stats and rolling over logfiles once a day. Ours doesn't even do it at the same time every day. It is usually sometime between 4:00AM and 4:45AM, but I've seen it update pretty much anytime it wants during the early morning hours.

Again, 90% of sites never come close to this type of traffic, so they may not see this issue that frequently. If you went over the limit because of this quirky reporting, I'd think you'd have a case to have the overage charges dropped. Not to say it wouldn't be an annoying fight with their billing department, but at least you'd have a legit case.

Yeah I thought about that too, but have no desire to try it out. The program seems to always "update" at 6:00(I have no idea if that is utc or what....not that it matters) and the last request is always right around 00:00. Problem is when it doesn't update, that is what stays the same. Meanwhile the program "start time" thingy will update with that new date and 6:00 time, while the time of last request(which is what matters) stays on the previous day at 00:00.

What also has me wondering is that larger total transfered number in the stats section saying 1,700 gigs right now. Like I said it says that while in my accounts section it says 1,133 gigs(and this was all started Jan 2). Now here is what I am wondering about. In the stats section near where it says total transfered 1.7 TB, it has a spot for total transfered last 7 days. I've been watching them both and they just aren't jiving at all. The last 7 days is now down to like 20 gigs or something but that total number has moved up at least a couple hundred gigs in that time frame. If I went by the total last 7 days number and how that has been working I could see a total closer to 1,133 gigs. It'd be nice just to understand what exactly is going on there.

Well cool, they replied to my total bandwidth useage question the second time I asked it today. He says the total bandwidth number in the accounts manage is accurate and can be used to monitor my useage. Ok, for you web people out there, any idea why it reads 1,133 gigs while at the same time the one in my stats section reads 1,700 gigs?

Well after some looking and googling, I guess I see what the difference is. The stats page calls it data transfered, not bandwidth. One would think 2,000 gigs transfered would be what is meant by 2,000 gigs a month in bandwidth allowed. I would at least think these would be very close to each other. Evidently they can be much different, since I've transfered over 1,700 gigs but the bandwidth used says 1,133. Hmmm, I guess that is the deal here when it comes to these two numbers not agreeing, but boy it really doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd think transfer and bandwidth would be identical lol. I don't get how the hell it comes up with the bandwidth used then. It must keep a tab going on how much speed is required over a given time of transfering. If this is all correct, it is nice to know they don't have to equal one another.

This will be sweet if it is all true and that lower number is the one I have to watch, because that will mean I don't have to screw with their stupid stats updating issues. Yay. (jinx)

That would explain it. Data transfer also includes other things like what you FTP to and from the server. For instance, since you just FTP'd your site to them, the space that your site takes up on disk would be included in that total plus whatever you've FTPd since. IE, if your site was 600MB in size, then the initial FTP would use 600MB of transfer. Shouldn't be a significant part of the total number so far compared to the web visitor traffic though.

After I praised GoDaddy a couple of months ago, I am now kicking them to the curb. Today I was working on some new things for my website and found out that they disable a lot of PHP commands unless you are on a dedicated server which is $30 a month for their cheapest plan. So I guess I am looking for a new home now if anyone has any experience with this and has a good host that will not pull crap like that. Maybe it's more common than I am thinking.......

Back