GoDaddy Webhosting/Domains

Saving money's always a plus; GoDaddy can make that happen it looks.

Anyone use them? Suggestions, comments?

I'm currently with Yahoo and aside from looking for cheaper rates, there is nothing wrong with Yahoo (no sight outages in 4 years). But I've heard overall good things about GoDaddy and wanted to see what anyone else who had it thought before I click ACCEPT.

They're a local company here, with a sterling reputation and performance for what they do. They're rather a Target or Wal-Mart of domain hosting and not configured to offer specialized managed hosting services like SAN storage or special equipment requests that a company like RackSpace (or DryLine :wink: ) can do.

Originally posted by David Wolfson
They're a local company here, with a sterling reputation and performance for what they do. They're rather a Target or Wal-Mart of domain hosting and not configured to offer specialized managed hosting services like SAN storage or special equipment requests that a company like RackSpace (or DryLine :wink: ) can do.

But for a website like mine, they're good, right! My two main issues; storage space and bandwidth. Beyond that, I don't require much more than use of my Dreamweaver Program! :D

Tony, be sure and read ALL the fine print in their TOS and AUP regarding space and bandwidth usage. It's a current trend in the industry to offer tons of both and then have it in the fine print if you actually try using all of it, they shut you down. It's usually written as something like if you are using X% of the server resources, of "monopolizing" server resources.

Just something to beware of with many of the cheap hosting places. Not saying it would be an issue, but one of the hosting message boads I frequent is full of stories of people that had that happen to them.

I had a very bad time with GoDaddy last month. I have hosting but I saw they had a 250GB bandwidth package for only $5. I went over 41GB and was charged (without warning) $250. $6 per GB. After several calls with them, I was able to get most of it credited for future hosting which I really didn't even want. Bottom line, DO NOT go over your with your GoDaddy.

I love their domain services however. I own 27 domains with GoDaddy and I suggest them to anyone.

Chris,

Your website had >250GB bandwidth usage last month? :shock: My site has never exceeded 10GB...

Out of curiosity, I wonder what the monthly bandwidth usage of Stormtrack.org is...

Originally posted by Mike Gauldin
I would suggest DryLine Hosting. Support rocks, and there's a few different packages you can get. I have the basic one for my site. They offer lots of goodies too.

Plus you use the stormtrack discount to get your package at half price for the rest of your account's life at Dryline. I am very pleased with the service and know it will only get better.

I use GoDaddy as a name register, and have not had any issues, but would have to agree with the others and suggest Dryline as a host. David has some very competitive packages and offers a great personalized service. If you would happen to exceed your bandwidth, I don’t think he would automatically send an invoice. If it happened consistently, I think he would talk to you about an upgrade. I think you would have to look long and hard to beat his service. In my opinion it’s not worth a buck or two a month to find out.

Originally posted by Kurt Silvey
I use GoDaddy as a name register, and have not had any issues, but would have to agree with the others and suggest Dryline as a host. David has some very competitive packages and offers a great personalized service. If you would happen to exceed your bandwidth, I don’t think he would automatically send an invoice. If it happened consistently, I think he would talk to you about an upgrade. I think you would have to look long and hard to beat his service. In my opinion it’s not worth a buck or two a month to find out.

That is absolutely true. I don't bill for little spikes in bandwidth overage, however any account that is going over consistently would probably be asked to upgrade to the next package to cover their needs. Honestly, that only happened twice so far and we just increased space/bandwidth for the listed packages AGAIN! 8)

Back