GoDaddy Webhosting/Domains

Originally posted by Tyler Allison+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyler Allison)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jeff Snyder
Chris,

Your website had >250GB bandwidth usage last month? :shock: My site has never exceeded 10GB...

The AllisonHouse servers (3 of them) use 1TB a month :shock:[/b]

Yeah, 250GB is actually not that much. Well, I guess that depends what you're doing. My all-time record was 1.8TB. Yes, that's a T.

Tyler, where are your servers?

I have used GoDaddy in the past (about 3 years ago) and had an issue with down time.. seemed like at least twice a month or more the site was down... I have since moved to a company out of canada... servers are in Florida and the 1st backup servers are in Canada and a backup to the backups is in his home.. LOL Have never had a down time yet and is hosting 5 www dots for 9.95 a month, don't really remember the bandwidth limits but I know I have never past 10% of my usage per month...

That being said, I am strongly considering Dry Line when I make the move in the future... My sites are never down really, they just seem to be getting slower and a few hic-ups here and there.. when I signed up with them, he put me on one of his new servers (not many sites on it.. 4 I think) and it was fine... now that the server is got a LOT more people (sites) .. it's getting slower... soooo.. I'm considering the move but I got to check with David to see what the fee would be for 5 www dots... shared bandwidth..

The only thing I do with GoDaddy now is getting the domain names... 8.95 I think for a dot com per year -vs- 15.99 from my hosting company I have now...

Dave

If you really have high demands, have some money, and know a thing about servers. I suggest FDCServers.net. I don't personally have an account their but a friend who does gave me a reseller account and it's great. For $129/ month you get an AMD 1400, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, and unmetered bandwidth. Yes, you can an unmetered 100Mbit port. Something I fill up quite a bit. ;) If you have high bandwidth needs, I highly suggest them. If you don't know that much bandwidth, it's probably overkill.

I have 21 domain names with GoDaddy and 5 websites. I've never had a problem. Ian has 5 websites with them and ditto. However, they have a la carte pricing - charge for every add on - so be sure you know what you want and price it accordingly. Still, it's always been competitive, always given me great tech support, but is not terribly intuitive to navigate at times. Never tried Dryline but may have to given the raves.

David,

What is the most common package that your customers buy? I am considering getting my own domain, I think 500 mb should be enough, but I am still not sure. I was looking around and Brinkster's professional package had interested me, but it offers a lot of tools I probably won't use. Your service seems to be winning my interest, I really like the amount of bandwidth that comes with the packages, plus it looks simple enough for domain-noobs like me. I think I may end up going with your service, I figure why not support a fellow chaser?

I've been using Godaddy since 2000 and am very pleased with the service. We went over our bandwidth back in 2004 and were charged for it, but I felt that was fair. Their customer service worked with me and have always been very helpful. The only negative thing I can find is they don't have a toll free customer service number! It's just a local number I have to use minutes on my cell to call. Otherwise I think Godaddy is great.

David,

What is the most common package that your customers buy? I am considering getting my own domain, I think 500 mb should be enough, but I am still not sure. I was looking around and Brinkster's professional package had interested me, but it offers a lot of tools I probably won't use. Your service seems to be winning my interest, I really like the amount of bandwidth that comes with the packages, plus it looks simple enough for domain-noobs like me. I think I may end up going with your service, I figure why not support a fellow chaser?
[/b]

Sorry I missed this post before you PMd me Laura. Welcome aboard Dryline Hosting BTW! Going by our billing stats, the most popular package currently is the F3 closely followed by the F5. With the new package names that came in to the live site recently, we increased both space and bandwidth on all packages. There will be some additional packages coming as well at different price points (some even cheaper than what is shown live now) that will be available with the new site launch coming soon!

I'm giving godaddy a pretty good test right now and so far it is still hauling. I've only been there for a few days now so I can't say a whole lot. I'm not able to see updated stats for some reason. I sent an e-mail earlier and they sent one back saying they had to forward it to more technical people to solve.

So I'm using my google ads page impression numbers to monitor the fark/digg/e-mail chain fun that is still going on, for now. Last Dec was fairly busy for the site after the auroras and the page impressions were like 153,000 for the month. This month, 2nd through the 4th was about the same, alone. The 5th however shows 353,000 page impressions for one day. Today it's on its way to about the same amount. This is a pretty damn good test on them. So far it's flying. I never picked one of their virtual dedicated servers or dedicated ones either. I'm on the lower normal ones with the 2,000 gig pacakge($15/month). I sure wish I could see my stats on the site to see where that bandwidth is. We'll see if they shut me off/down before I get to 2,000 gigs(I keep expecting it to happen any second now).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - definately watch the bandwidth overages. They are arguably criminal in what they can charge. I know of a case where a site used 2.2TB on a 500GB limit one month. They never shut the site down or even sent a friendly notice saying 'you are approaching your limit' or 'you went over your limit'. Just quietly sent the $6,500 overage bill at the end of the month along with an email asking "how will you be paying for this today". In the end, they finally erased the charges, but only after much protesting and headaches.

Yeah that is nuts you pay $15 for 2,000 gigs bandwidth, then you go over and don't get charged anything remotely close to the same amount.

I just checked and they fixed it as I see the stats/reports on there now. It shows 3,188,957 http requests just yesterday. 183 gigs so far. This is a good reason for people to size their images right too. If I had the file sizes like many you see out there I'd be screwed fast on bandwidth.

I wonder how it is handling this without a dedicated server. I hope it's not something I can be billed extra on, lol(errrrrr "lol").

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that is nuts you pay $15 for 2,000 gigs bandwidth, then you go over and don't get charged anything remotely close to the same amount.

I just checked and they fixed it as I see the stats/reports on there now. It shows 3,188,957 http requests just yesterday. 183 gigs so far. This is a good reason for people to size their images right too. If I had the file sizes like many you see out there I'd be screwed fast on bandwidth.

I wonder how it is handling this without a dedicated server. I hope it's not something I can be billed extra on, lol(errrrrr "lol").

Mike has a good point on image sizing. I see a lot of newer webmasters use huge images, and then set the display attributes to what size they want it to display. They aren't realizing that the image is still the same huge image, just displayed smaller instead of actually smaller. I've seen some unbelievably big 3 meg images displayed in like 200x300. I can always tell when I see a small images slowely creaping down it's spot on the page when I am on broadband. A quick right click to check properties always tells the story.

So yeah, webmasters, resize your images BEFORE you upload them to the size you want them to display and save yourself (and your viewers) some grief. :D
EDIT: Same goes for posting images here on the board. LOL

I've been with GoDaddy for a while now and have had very little if any issues hosting my site. I bought the deluxe plan for 3 years and added a major discount with a coupon code and a free upgrade (paid $108 for 3 years with domain for 1). I don't do near the traffic Hollingshead does, so I haven't done my own dedicated server, but can say I'm very pleased with what I have in them. I'm easily holding several thousand images and have a TON of space and server bandwidth alloted to me with this plan.

Very very happy and thrilled I made the switch from Yahoo/Geocities.

I've been with GoDaddy for a while now and have had very little if any issues hosting my site. I bought the deluxe plan for 3 years and added a major discount with a coupon code and a free upgrade (paid $108 for 3 years with domain for 1). I don't do near the traffic Hollingshead does, so I haven't done my own dedicated server, but can say I'm very pleased with what I have in them. I'm easily holding several thousand images and have a TON of space and server bandwidth alloted to me with this plan.

Very very happy and thrilled I made the switch from Yahoo/Geocities.

I'm confused.. it could be from me being tired... but didn't you start this thread asking if anyone used GoDaddy and that you wanted to know how good they were before you signed up for them? And now you said you've been with GoDaddy for a while.

Like I said, maybe I'm just confusing myself due to lack of sleep.. heh

Back