Dryline in West Virginia / Ohio

Dan Robinson

wvdryline.jpg

wvdryline2.jpg

Warm front is looking more like sort of a reverse dryline across southeast Ohio and western WV. 79/57 in Huntington, 82/35 in Charleston and 81/19 in Sutton! Boundary is visible on ILN's 88D. Storms firing along this boundary now too.

Leaving now to go check out that southernmost cell.

If the dry air advances south its a dryline, if the higher Tds advance north its a warm front. Chances are its a warm front. Wont have an advancing dryline moving against the mean flow (even if the downsloping from appalachians was enough to induce adiabatic warming.. but it's not). Some of those winds might have to do with flow around the appalachians which is why its so confusing. Looks like the cP air in the NE had a lot of time to modify. But yes.. that modified cP looks more like cT. Treat it as a warm front though, less dense air forcing up over stationary denser air. I bet those t-storms were quite elevated, some hail perhaps (I dont know what the vertical profile is).

After seeing a few events like this, I've always wondered if a good downsloping event off of the Appalachians with deep moisture over the midwest could actually create a true dryline over Ohio and Kentucky. The sharpest dewpoint boundaries I've seen are normally in the winter during periods of easterly winds, when Tds can go below zero F on the western slopes with temps in the 60s and 70s, with dews still in the 30s and 40s westward.

Climatology says that it's unlikely I'll start seeing tornadic supercells on such a feature anytime soon.

Back