What a storm system.....

:shock:

It speaks itself:

http://www.weather.org.hk/lightning/
14 storms detected
regional (14-81 km) severe t-storm to the West-Northwest (9.50 strokes/min/degree, energy = 166%, severity = 88, CG% = 29%)
regional (14-81 km) strong t-storm to the Northwest (6.22 strokes/min/degree, energy = 185%, severity = 72, CG% = 35%)
regional (14-81 km) strong t-storm to the West-Southwest (6.09 strokes/min/degree, energy = 173%, severity = 71, CG% = 34%)
distant (74-116 km) severe t-storm to the South-Southeast (5.02 strokes/min/degree, energy = 118%, severity = 100, CG% = 12%)
nearby (0-63 km) thunderstorm to the North-Northwest (4.13 strokes/min/degree, energy = 183%, severity = 37, CG% = 25%)
nearby (0-57 km) thunderstorm to the North-Northeast (3.71 strokes/min/degree, energy = 112%, severity = 32, CG% = 13%)
distant (128-165 km) severe t-storm to the South-Southwest (3.46 strokes/min/degree, energy = 119%, severity = 126, CG% = 21%)
nearby (0-29 km) thunderstorm to the South (3.37 strokes/min/degree, energy = 184%, severity = 22, CG% = 21%)
distant (116-150 km) severe t-storm to the South-Southwest (2.98 strokes/min/degree, energy = 94%, severity = 107, CG% = 19%)
distant (61-124 km) severe t-storm to the North (2.91 strokes/min/degree, energy = 123%, severity = 82, CG% = 24%)
distant (41-109 km) strong t-storm to the Southwest (2.84 strokes/min/degree, energy = 145%, severity = 57, CG% = 29%)
distant (50-98 km) strong t-storm to the South (2.69 strokes/min/degree, energy = 122%, severity = 52, CG% = 23%)
regional (14-81 km) thunderstorm to the West (2.42 strokes/min/degree, energy = 179%, severity = 28, CG% = 27%)
distant (144-196 km) severe t-storm to the Northeast (2.25 strokes/min/degree, energy = 129%, severity = 112, CG% = 31%)

612 strokes per minute
3401 strokes in past 5 mins. (avg. 680.2/min.)

6961 strokes in past 10 mins. (avg. 696.1/min.)
13,965 strokes in past 20 mins. (avg. 698.3/min.)
21,492 strokes in past 30 mins. (avg. 716.4/min.)
39,343 strokes in past 60 mins. (avg. 655.7/min.)

148 CG strokes per minute: 24.2%
879 CG strokes in past 5 mins. (avg. 175.8/min.): 25.8%

1928 CG strokes in past 10 mins. (avg. 192.8/min.): 27.7%
3952 CG strokes in past 20 mins. (avg. 197.6/min.): 28.3%
6222 CG strokes in past 30 mins. (avg. 207.4/min.): 29.0%
11,706 CG strokes in past 60 mins. (avg. 195.1/min.): 29.8%

[Broken External Image]:http://www.grmc.gov.cn/leida/gzradr/GZR200505270958.GIF

Now got a very strong updraft right to my NW, heading toward me. I'll keep you informed...

:wink:

Simone...

This is my first message in this forum.
I'm Luca Ronca and I write from Italy, exactly from Cremona, a town situated 50 Miles Southeast from Milan, in the central part of the Po valley.
Simone, I know well how chinese TS can be strong in your zone, but this year they seems particularly strong and frequent, it's right? You know that this kind of storm can hit also Brescia, your italian town... :wink:
In 2001 at the end of July a HP supercell developed on my town but reached the maximum power over Brescia with 235mm of hail and rain in two hours....
This year thunder season started quite well and I hope to chase something good as last year (4 supercells in the same place). I post a LP supercell image taked near my home last year in August the 21th.
[Broken External Image]:http://www.garoncremona.it/weatherimages/lucacell.jpg
Please keep us informed with your great reports (and help me with english), and I hope to see you again soon here in Italy.
Ciao
Luca

Re: Simone...

This is my first message in this forum.
I'm Luca Ronca and I write from Italy, exactly from Cremona, a town situated 50 Miles Southeast from Milan, in the central part of the Po valley.
Simone, I know well how chinese TS can be strong in your zone, but this year they seems particularly strong and frequent, it's right? You know that this kind of storm can hit also Brescia, your italian town... :wink:
In 2001 at the end of July a HP supercell developed on my town but reached the maximum power over Brescia with 235mm of hail and rain in two hours....
This year thunder season started quite well and I hope to chase something good as last year (4 supercells in the same place). I post a LP supercell image taked near my home last year in August the 21th.
[Broken External Image]:http://www.garoncremona.it/weatherimages/lucacell.jpg
Please keep us informed with your great reports (and help me with english), and I hope to see you again soon here in Italy.
Ciao
Luca

Hi Luca !! :wink:

Great picture as always. I hope also we have a chance to meet again in Italy ! I think I'll come around soon...

I definitely need to organize a chase (and myself...) down here... :lol: The day before yesterday I got a wall cloud with numerous funnel developing under it right to my NE, everything happened so quickly (the storm fired from nothing in about 5 minutes) that I had no time to search for the digital camera.

Maybe I'll start out with typhoons, which are much easier to chase than supercells...

Nice to see you again !!
Bye !

You MUST organize a chase. :D
Considering all the monster cells you have and no one photo, it's a shame :D
American chasers are great about reporting weather with images.
Some days ago a terrific supercell near Alessandria with 35cm of hail and pieces of ice big as oranges. That thunderstorm lived for three hours, and no one toke a single shot. :cry: That's a real shame
Luca

Some days ago a terrific supercell near Alessandria with 35cm of hail and pieces of ice big as oranges. That thunderstorm lived for three hours, and no one toke a single shot. :cry: That's a real shame
Luca
Ciao Luca, we live near it seems hehe :D
Thats really a shame, how for gods sake noone took any photos of it!? Damnit :evil:
I have seen it on satellites/radar, looked really big supercell as well. But are you serious, hail size of orange?? :shock:
Also I can post some of those radars or satellites if someone wants :wink:

Regards,
Marko

Luca
Ciao Luca, we live near it seems hehe :D
Thats really a shame, how for gods sake noone took any photos of it!? Damnit :evil:
I have seen it on satellites/radar, looked really big supercell as well. But are you serious, hail size of orange?? :shock:
Also I can post some of those radars or satellites if someone wants :wink:

Regards,
Marko

Hi Aragorth :wink:
Yes it says that hail was baseball sized but I saw no pics about...So it's difficoult to believe...

Hail can be devastating such the summer 2002 episode on Garda lake, or June 27th 2003 in Cremona. Some pieces reached 650gr. of weight
Sometimes there is a particular configuration in the Po valley when winds come from NW and there is a shallow fohn condition; in these conditions pressure is up to 10hPa lower than Alpine region.
Storms are literally sucked in the valley and can easily generate supercells. On prealine region there is usually a warning condition for severe storms with SW winds.
A note about Italian images related to severe weather; you can see here the tornado of July 2001 in Brianza region near Milan, it was really strong. Officially was an F3, but some reports says F4.
[Broken External Image]:http://www.garoncremona.it/weatherimages/brianza3.jpg
I hope to take a shot like this very soon :shock:

Hi Aragorth :wink:
Yes it says that hail was baseball sized but I saw no pics about...So it's difficoult to believe...

If you now the climate of Italy you know that is not difficult to believe.... there has been almost an (documented....) F5 in that area in the last century.

Mmmm...Egg size it seems to me exagerated: in those zones there was not too much cape (1000 J/Kg) and neither too much deep layer shear.
Besides television didn't speak about this event..Anyway never say never :wink:

Back