Does it Cost $$$ To Join ST Now??

This kind of dovetails into the discussion but myself and the mods have been discussing the idea of creating an annual Stormtrack scholarship, with the first one announced in January. If anyone has thoughts on this or think that this may be overstretching Stormtrack's scope, we'll be glad to hear feedback about the idea. We aren't discussing eligibility or requirements at this stage though.

Tim

This kind of dovetails into the discussion but myself and the mods have been discussing the idea of creating an annual Stormtrack scholarship, with the first one announced in January. If anyone has thoughts on this or think that this may be overstretching Stormtrack's scope, we'll be glad to hear feedback about the idea. We aren't discussing eligibility or requirements at this stage though.

Tim

I think it's already been covered with Eric Nguyen's scholarship. But sometimes the more the merrier.

Tim

So ST has been taking measures to collect funds not just so they can pay for the server and operating costs? News to me. I think it'd be awesome if a scholarship or something of the sort could continue to be handed out. This is the kind of stuff I was seeking in my original post, all this money coming in (anyone with any sense would suspect it's more than enough to cover "server fees") and it had to be going somewhere, but yet no indications of where and or how it was being allocated (that I had seen, and was merely what I seeked). Not only did it now cost a fee to join, but it was still implied donations were needed to help cover costs to "operate the site" I think anytime donations are requested and or received, it's only right to disclose how that money is being allocated. I personally will be much more willing to throw into the pot, knowing how funds are being spent, than I would be if I was just told it was needed for server fees, when I know enough revenue is generated to cover those costs and that my money is most likely aiding someones hidden interests.

You know who's opinion I would really like to hear about on this topic....is Tim Marshall's and David Hoadley's. That's some opinions that would hold weight with me.

I hated it four years ago, but today I love the "Core" idea. There needs to be a place that's a hybrid of ST and CFDG; serious content by seasoned chasers without military standards/forced contribution pressure. The ST Core was actually perfect, but back then I was still new enough to worry about everyone's feelings. Nowadays, I want quality. I think ST is great for what it is, and CFDG as well....but somewhere in the middle of those two lies potential for an amazing forum/list that would serve the majority of serious chasers. It's been 15 years now with the net and it still doesn't exist, so I'm not hopeful it will appear anytime soon, if ever. But man, what a concept.

Maybe you could take the extra money and stipend the vets to contribute again so this place will be a viable resource. ha...

Unless you start a 501(c)3, a scholarship is a bad idea. You have to account for the money you take in and spend. Unless you're looking for write offs for an existing company, I wouldn't be handing out money for free.

That's not a Storm Track scholarship.
I know that....but it's where a lot of chasers already contribute funds for a chase related scholarship. I know I'd give to that fund before ST. Frankly, I don't plan on ever giving a donation to ST. I simply think that I'd rather put the money toward something like Eric N. scholarship because it has a great benefit than ST does. (So stick it Steve M./OK...j/k, from your post a while back).

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? I thought they handed things over to Tim V.
I say that because they basically started and continued the Stormtrack name for many more years than it has been an online forum. Also the fact that they are still members here and post from time to time (almost exclusively on the Forecast/Nowcast/Reports side). I'm also pointing out that they hold more weight with me personally because I respect them over almost everyone else on this forum.

Of course there's the other way in which members have donated to this forum, namely knowledgeable and informative posts. Without content, these other debates are moot.

Hey, wasn't there a post after Shane's...I guess it got deleted.

I think we can establish that the $5 isn't just to keep newbie folks out that wouldn't be on the up and up. Otherwise, I would suggest that the fee be waived if the person had one or two referrals. But again, sounds like a matter of costs too. But who really knows either.

Hey, wasn't there a post after Shane's...I guess it go deleted.

I think we can establish that the $5 isn't just to keep newbie folks out that wouldn't be on the up and up. Otherwise, I would suggest that the fee be waived if the person had one or two referrals. But again, sounds like a matter of costs too. But who really knows either.

Yeah, it was mine. That answered my question.:eek:
Melissa

Okay, so yesterday I ponied up enough money to qualify as a supporting member, and now, looking at my status, I see that I'm a "Stormtrack supporter" twice over. I appreciate the double recognition, but once is enough to let the whole world know. :)

I almost didn't want to ask this question in this thread because it seems the underlying tone has been one of belly aching about the fees and wondering where the money is going. I could really care less about all of that because it isn't any of my business and I've taken way more away from this forum than I've ever given, so just to preface my question with where I'm coming from.

I was looking at the paid subscription tab in my control panel and had a couple of questions. I did the $9 deal to have "Stormtrack Supporter" next to my name when it first came out and it looks like I'm good until the end of March 2010. The only two options I see now are a yearly membership for $5 and a VIP lifetime membership for $18. When my subscription is up next year will the $9 deal show up again or are the new options ($5 and $18) the way things will be for the future?

I'm one who donated $50 in March 2008 to help keep the ship sailing along smoothly and plan to be a "Stormtrack Supporter" in the future, so thanks for all the hard work you put into this forum (Tim and moderators) and you can count on my support in the future.

I think Stormtrack is better than most of the other weather forums on the net. I know a 5$ fee could bring in some low quality posters. Maybe it is not going down the path some people would like it to but look at it this way. Most other weather forums have alot of non chasers,to few members, alot of drama and fighting and very low quality posting. Alot of those forums fight amongst eachother and the staff can be very rude. I was at a site where a staff member was mean to me and the owner who says he is a christian told me he did not care. Stormtrack is not like that and the mod's here do a good job at running this site for the most part.

I am not saying if I agree or disagree with the 5$ membership fee but I would pay that fee if I had to just because Stormtrack is a good place to talk about the weather and I would rather be here then at any other weather site.

I do feel it is good to discuss these things so people feel like they have a say in how this community forum is run. I don't care for sites where the staff run the site how they want to and don't care what anyone else thinks or want's. I like how Stormtrack is not like that.

I do feel it is good to discuss these things so people feel like they have a say in how this community forum is run.

I think too often people forget ST isn't a community forum....it's a privately-owned forum. Membership is a privilege, not a right.

I don`t post much on here but whats the big deal???? I mean come on, whats $5.00 anyway? I paid because it`s just the right thing to do. I get more from this site then I`ll ever give back to it.
BTW.... I got my Spotter Network Training Certificate last week, Hey it`s one way to pay back to those that give us a service to use. There again, whats a few dollars??????

Forums are still nice, I frequent quite a few forums myself and have learned quite a bit about stuff over the years.

As for StormTrack charging $5, the only thing I wonder is does this mean that anyone and their mother can become a member here if they pay the $5 fee even though they aren't a storm chaser and never have chased?

My interest in StormTrack faded away when Tim began letting non-chasers become members here. I remember when StormTrack only allowed active storm chasers and meteorologists on here, and when someone made a post I knew they spoke from experience as a storm chaser and I could learn from that. That's not the case anymore, many times I've seen someone make posts about storm chasing strategies or something similar only to find out the person isn't a storm chaser and never has chased. I know I've mentioned this before, but I stand by what I say and truly believe that it was a disservice to us all when Tim began letting non-chasers on here.

So basically those that are on the cusp of storm chasing but haven't, and those that have a passion for severe weather but either haven't had the time to go out and chase or haven't got around to do it should not be allowed here? A lot of good people come here to gain valuable knowledge from the experienced chases about all kinds of things.. which I figured to be a compliment.. and if it was you in charge, you'd want that to stop?

Not to mention that a large majority of the discussion topics and arguing points on this site would never exist if all of the new learners/non-chasers etc. weren't allowed here. Differing ideas and questions is what makes this site fun and interesting, keeping it from being bland and dry.

I could only imagine how exciting a forum like yours would be..

As to the topic itself, has anyone ever heard of free enterprise?

Bypass a Subway footlong for lunch one day and deal with it. Geez.

The only two options I see now are a yearly membership for $5 and a VIP lifetime membership for $18. When my subscription is up next year will the $9 deal show up again or are the new options ($5 and $18) the way things will be for the future?

I don't know right now, as we're trying to keep it as cheap as possible and seeing what works. The rates were initially higher back in early July but I decided to cut those back. Just to clarify this only applies to people who joined this summer; older members are grandfathered for life.

Tim

Just to clarify this only applies to people who joined this summer; older members are grandfathered for life.

Tim

I realize I'm grandfathered in and I appreciate that very much. I just want you to know that I plan to contribute in the future whether I have to or not, so that's the reason I brought it up. Heck, $18 for life is a sweet deal if you ask me! Please do consider the various options for those of us who are willing to contribute freely to have that moniker next to our names (i.e. Stormtrack Supporter).

I know a 5$ fee could bring in some low quality posters.

Some people just don't get it. How in the world is a $5 fee going to bring in low quality posters? As opposed to a $0.00 fee? Really? It doesn't seem that the $5 is really about server costs. Sure those costs need covered but Tim could have tried to cover them different ways. This hopefully kills two birds with one stone. Costs get covered and hopefully this deters the huge influx of noise contributers who seem to be clogging up the site. I actually would be for a slightly higher cost and annual is fine.

When I first joined, it seemed pretty clear a new person's role was to shut up and listen. I did, and learned alot. The noise factor was low. Over the last couple years, tornado chasers on TV, the TIV, etc. being a chaser has gotten "cool" and the noise factor has gone up, waaaaay up. Stormtrack is really my only option for a serious, well regulated chase forum. I'm not anywhere near on the level for CFDG membership and there are a lot of us in this boat. I'm for whatever fee keeps out people who can't read and follow rules. I'm for paying more mods (lol) to tightly regulate the board and kick people off who can't seem to follow rules.

For those who say "hey, where is that money going? I want to see your finance report!" Guess what! This isn't the Elks Lodge. It's a privately owned weather bulletin board. All of us are guests here. If you don't like it, can't follow the rules, or are afraid someone is buying Ferrari's off your dime, uh, well, GTFO. If Tim V. or Tim M. or Dave is making a little coin off this which I seriously, seriously doubt that is their right in a capitalistic society. They are providing a service. The service depends on the customer. For me, it's a chance to learn more about severe weather. For some, it's an opportunity to teach, or network, or place subtle subliminal advertisements, or to "see cool stormz pix lol". My thought is a small fee will seriously cut down on the latter.

Sorry for getting off topic. My interest is seeing this board continue to be a healthy part of the storm chasing community. The finances need to be there, and the board quality needs to be there. Hopefully this new fee system will make both happen.

I just want you to know that I plan to contribute in the future whether I have to or not
FWIW, donations are not necessary... income is from ads and new users and it's more self-sustaining than what we were doing previously.

Tim

Back