Confirmed Tornadoes of 11/27 Event: 43 so far

Wow! I figured with the gate2gate velocities on these monsters, there could have been an F4 or stronger. Still some impressive tornadoes for nearly December

When I pulled up the Wichita NWS survey pictures of the damage, I was quite suprised to see a badly damaged house, with roof completly removed and one wall flattened, and only an attatched rating of F1. I know a few of you who were chasing the Erie tornado went to the home right after it got hit; what kind of house was it and did it appear to be well constructed? Unless this was a poorly constructed frame house or a double wide trailer, I think an F2 rating would be in order based on the damage done.

Mark, I think it's safe to assume that the house wasn't well-built. For the F1 to be fit, the structure could not have been too solid. Remember, we're looking at a picture or two, while the damage surveyors were there in person to look at damage to everything surrounding the house. It's been well-documented that the damage to a structure doesn't tell much without understanding integrity of that structure, which isn't easily capture by a chaser driving by it or by non-specific pictures.

A quick update...LZK (Little Rock) have now confirmed 19 tornadoes as of Sat evening, 12-3-05, with surveys still ongoing. A tip of the cap to the folks at NWS LZK...they always seem to do very thorough surveys on tornadic events.

Rob

Originally posted by Rob Satkus
A quick update...LZK (Little Rock) have now confirmed 19 tornadoes as of Sat evening, 12-3-05, with surveys still ongoing. A tip of the cap to the folks at NWS LZK...they always seem to do very thorough surveys on tornadic events.

Updated the big list, but wanted to add that I definitely agree with RobS that LZK is always very good about performing damage surveys, although it irks me a bit that they do not provide a path width. Paducah also is a WFO that sticks out as being very much on top of things during post-storm assessments.

Originally posted by Sam Sagnella+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sam Sagnella)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Rob Satkus

Updated the big list, but wanted to add that I definitely agree with RobS that LZK is always very good about performing damage surveys, although it irks me a bit that they do not provide a path width. Paducah also is a WFO that sticks out as being very much on top of things during post-storm assessments.[/b]

One thing that LZK has been doing for some time now is performing very thorough damage surveys. This obviously requires many manhours for those who work at LZK, so it's good to see that their work is being commended.

I surveyed the Morrilton damage path yesterday, and the devastation to the Sardis community was incredible. Seeing the damage caused by this tornado was very sobering as I just barely escaped from the path of it before it crossed Hwy. 64. The tornado seems to have weakened considerably by the time it reached I-40 where it caused a fatality. There was very minimal damage to the eastern portion of the lumber yard and the trees near there.

Once I get my slides processed, I'll post some of the damage photos here along with the survey I performed and a few other bits of information regarding the event.

Jason Politte

Back