Colorado arctic air

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
I'm a little surprised that -13 would be record cold for Denver... I coldest temp I've seen this morning has been -36 in Embarrass, MN. Much of wisconsin got into the -20s. I figured that with the elevation, the record lows in Denver for this time of year would be well into the -20s. I suppose w/o being in a valley and getting drainage, perhaps the lowlevel's don't decouple as quickly to allow the temperatures to tank.

I just double checked. Old record was -3 set back in 1880. Also, the daily record was broken for the 17th as well. -10F vs -9F set in 1993.

Another day, another record low for Denver. Shortly after midnight the previous record low for the 19th of February (+3F) was broken with a low of -4F.

The NWS noted that this clears any of the remaining postive record lows for the month of February.

Well out here on the High Plains 100 miles northeast of Denver we hit -28 below zero (not kidding here! :shock: ) at 12:08 a.m. on Saturday according to our digital thermometer. My farm is on a small plateau north of Fort Morgan, we are 500 feet higher than the South Platte River Valley twenty iles to the south. We actually get colder here at home than in the valley often times, which is strange because you would think the cold air would settle in the river valley, rather than hug the higher ground above the valley. For example, Sterling was -14 below and Fort Morgan was -19 below, and they are both down in the river valley, and our minimum temp beat out theirs by fourteen and nine degrees repectively. Oh well, it's Colorado, you can't expect any aspect of the weather around here to be semi-normal at any time. 8)

Back