How I almost went to Oz, or how NOT to intercept a tornado...

Warning: This is an extremely long post-you've been warned...

On Wednesday evening, I came face to face with every chaser's worst nightmare: I drove INTO a rain wrapped tornado, in complete darkness, around 10:45 p.m. CDT about four miles north/northwest of Bird City, Kansas on Highway 161. The following is the account of the most harrowing night of my life thus far.
It had been a great chase day. I had already seen 5 tornadoes in less than 6 hours, one of which was a spectacular multi-vortex affair which I took video of as it passed just southeast of Benkelman, NE around 9:35 p.m CDT. Brett Adair was nowcasting for me, and everything was going smoothly until about 10:15 p.m. CDT, when my cell battery died while I sat on the south side of Benkelman plotting my next move. I don't have a car charger for my phone, and suddenly found myself without access to my sole source of information. I cursed my lack of foresight, and then made a decision that could have been my last. I have some friends that live near Saint Francis, so I decided to call it a night, drop south on Highway 161 to Bird City, and pick up Highway 36 west to Saint Francis, where a warm bed awaited me. As I left Benkelman and headed south, I was briefly able to observe a strong updraft developing on the storm I was driving into. But I was tired, focused on getting to Saint Francis and in my relative naivety thought "Hey, the worst I can run into is some large hail, right?"
Lesson #1: Never make assumptions when chasing, particularly when driving into an HP supercell at night during a tornado outbreak!
About 5 miles south of Benkelman, just inside the Kansas state line, I fell behind a Kansas State Patrolman. Less than a mile later we began encountering very heavy, blinding rain. It was coming down so hard that the two of us were literally crawling down the road at about 30 mph. Also, for those of you that don't know, Highway 161 is an extremely hilly road, crossing through over a dozen canyons and draws between Benkelman and Bird City. It's not fun to drive in perfect weather conditions; driving it in complete darkness with rain blowing sideways and water running down the road 6 inches deep is NOT an experience I care to repeat. A couple minutes after that, hail began to fall. It was small at first, but as we got about 12 miles south of Benkelman, the hail got dramatically larger and in a matter of 30 seconds went from nickel size to near baseball size. I later found out we drove straight through a 70 dbz hail core just north of the mesocyclone. One stone smashed the windshield of the KSP patrol car, vaulted up over his lightbar and smashed into the grille of the Ford F-150 I was driving and broke a chunk out of it. The sound of the hail pummeling the truck was absolutely deafening. I was scared as hell that the hail would break my windshield, but thankfully that didn't happen. As we continued our southward trek through the core, we were cresting the top of a hill when the brake lights of the KSP patrol car lit up and he suddenly swerved into the other lane. I thought 'WTF is he doing?', and then I saw it. A round bale was lying in the road about fifty yards ahead of me. I said 'Oh s***!' and slammed on the brakes. I skidded into it at 25 mph. Thankfully, the bale had been completely saturated by the rain and exploded into a cloud of mushy straw. Then I started seeing pieces of building debris lying in the road, so I slowed down to about 10 mph, and looked around me. A barn on the east side of the road had been obliterated by what I suspect was the multi-vortex tornado I had videotaped earlier that evening, and round bales were scattered everywhere like oversize confetti. One was even speared on top of a power pole like some sort of bizarre hors d'ouerve. The blinding rain made taking any photos impossible, so I decided to continue south. I caught up with the KSP patrol car a mile later, and just seconds after I caught up with him, he suddenly slammed on his brakes again as we came to a county road, flipped a wild u-turn in the intersection and screamed northwards. Again I thought 'WTF is he doing?" but like an idiot, continued driving southward.
Lesson #2: When following a police officer into a supercell at night, if he suddenly flips a U-turn and starts going the opposite direction in a big hurry, he's in all likelihood running from something that you should be running from too!:rolleyes:
So I decided to turn on the radio and try and find a local station to get a weather update. I tuned into Hometown Radio 93.9 out of McCook. I will never forget what transpired in the next few minutes. What I heard next made my blood run cold:
"A Tornado Warning has been issued for eastern Cheyenne County in northwestern Kansas. At 10:35 p.m. CDT, law enforcement officials reported a LARGE TORNADO ON THE GROUND two miles northwest of Bird City. This tornado is moving north at 40 mph. Areas affected will include HIGHWAY 161 BETWEEN BIRD CITY AND BENKELMAN! If you are in the path of this storm, please seek shelter immediately!"
I looked at my odometer and my blood ran even colder. I was roughly nineteen miles south of Benkelman, or five miles northwest of Bird City. I WAS THREE MILES NORTH OF THE TORNADO IN IT'S DIRECT PATH! AND EVEN WORSE, IT WAS RAIN WRAPPED AND I COULDN'T SEE IT!
For a moment, I couldn't think or speak. Then I said and thought what anyone would have given the situation:
OH F**K!!!!
Then I went into a purely adrenalin driven survival mode. I began frantically scanning the sides of the road for a farmstead. I knew given my location and the speed at which the tornado was moving, I had at most 90 seconds to seek shelter before it would be right on top of me. I sped up, desperately searching through the blinding rain and hail. I spotted a farmstead immediately to my left and started making preparations to run for my life. The power poles on the side of the road began to buck back and forth, the lines arcing wildly in the ferocious wind. A section of barbed wire fence along the side of the road was plucked out of the ground as simply and cleanly as you would pluck a feather from a chicken and whirled away into the night. The pickup started to feel like it was floating. I did a wild powerslide into the driveway of the farmstead and skidded to a halt about thirty feet from the front door of the old two story farmhouse. I didn't even bother to shut off the engine, I just jumped out of the truck and narrowly missed getting crushed by the door as the wind slammed it shut. I was running as fast as I could, yet it felt like I was only doing a slow jog, the wind was pulling on me so hard. Thankfully the main door was unlocked; if it hadn't been I would have kicked it in. By then it was too late to waste time searching for the basement, so there was an old table in the kitchen, and I dove under it. I grabbed onto the legs and started to pray. By that point the whole house was shaking violently, and I could hear debris hitting the side of the house. Then the tornado hit. It sounded like a squealing pig, a screaming wildcat, Niagra Falls and a vaccum cleaner all blended together into one terrible cacophony. Upstairs I heard the shattering of glass, and as I huddled there under that table in the kitchen of that Kansas farmhouse, I prayed harder than I've ever prayed in my life. I prayed that if it was my time, that I would go willingly, but if it wasn't, that the good Lord would protect me from harm. My prayers were answered, as the house gradually stopped shaking and the sound of the vortex gradually got quieter and quieter until it finally died away and all that could be heard was the sound of rain lashing against the siding. I slowly crawled out from under the table and stood up. I went back outside into the pouring rain. A piece of tin roofing from one of the outbuildings was plastered to the right front fender and right part of the hood of my truck, the rear end of which had also been shifted about six inches to the left of where I had parked it. I ran back to the truck and peeled the tin off, which promptly blew away in a gust of wind as soon as I had removed it. I ran around to the drivers side of the truck and got in. For a few minutes I just sat there, shivering and shaking uncontrollably, utterly amazed that I hadn't been blown to Oz. I was soaked to the bone, I was frightened out of my wits, but I was alive.
I arrived at my friend's house just before midnight and as soon as I had changed into some dry clothes, I crawled into their guest bed and fell into a deep and strangely dreamless sleep.
I know without a doubt that the man upstairs was looking out for me that night. I learned some very, very important lessons from this experience. If I was 18, the first thing I would've done upon returning to Colorado would have been the purchase of a scratch lotto ticket.
Am I feeling really stupid? Definitely. Am I feeling lucky? You bet your damn life I am. Will I keep chasing after this harrowing experience? HELL YEAH!:D I will chase until one of the following happens:
-I become senile or blind
- I can't drive any more due to old age
-I get sucked into a mile wide monster EF5 (But what a way to go!) :rolleyes:
- I go to stormchaser heaven, where the dewpoint never drops below 60 degrees, the air temperature never rises above 80 degrees, the land is flat as a cookie sheet, the road network is excellent, and each afternoon supercells form along an omnipresent dryline and drop spectacular tornadoes until after sunset...
So there you have it: How I almost went to Oz, or how NOT to intercept a tornado.
You might find yourself wondering "Is it all true?" The answer to that is yes, ladies and gentleman. I pride myself on being an honest person.
This is my account of the events of that night to the best of my recollection.
Which just goes to show, sometimes truth really CAN be stranger than fiction...:cool:

Ummmmm wow. That is insane. Glad you were safe. So did anyone else in the house take shelter with you? What did they say?

Amazing story. We watched that tornado that night. There were some extremely impressive radar returns.

Jeeze, that is freakin' crazy. Glad you didn't get sucked up :)

Sounds like you thought the worst was east of you and you'd be driving to your destination in the usual night-time rain that we often encounter, not realizing another supercell was headed for you.

Sounds like a good lesson in situational awareness, like monitoring NWR at all times, and knowing where the storms are in relation to you.

I'm also curious to know more about the farmhouse you took shelter in...was it abandoned?

Yeah, you were lucky man; I was coming up North on hwy 161 from Bird city following the tornado. And actually there was two tornadoes at that point the original wedge that tracked just east of Bird City and then a new tornado that I watched develop just North West of Bird City, the one I am guessing impacted you, I ran across a debris field of large hay bails about half way between bird city and Benkelmen too guessing its the same one I have a couple vid grabs of them on my site and will have video of them soon too, it is also that same area that I came across baseball sized stones. I didn't get real good video of the tornado that hit you but when slowed down you can see it and my eyes were picking it up just fine and it wasn't a real small tornado, you definetly lucked out. EDIT: I will be adding some video in the next couple days that while poor quality it may interest you as some of it was taking between Bird City and Benklemen on hwy 161 I

Last edited by a moderator:
Its good that you made it through that ok. I would have definitely freaked out. It was also real nice of that trooper to say "hey, there is a wedge coming straight down the road at you". I wonder if he was the one who saw the tornado and called it in, or he got about the same message as you did from dispatch and just freaked out and decided to make a run for it.
Your were not the only chaser to pretty much drive into a tornado that night. The ones I know that about got it hit, didnt know there was even a tornado there till after I told them about it later on. They wondered what caused the huge power flash right next to them. I am just glad that with all the chaser that were out and the number of large nighttime tornadoes roaming the plains that evening, that everyone made it back ok, even if with the close calls. It was unfortuate of the towns that got hit, but I am amazed at how close some towns came to taking direct hits from some of those big tornadoes. There were definitely some of those towns had someone looking out for them too.

Yea this is why I will not chase at night and will not core punch into a supercell that has or probably will spawn a tornado. Some people are crazier than others I guess. I am more than willing to get close to a tornado so long as I'm coming in from behind it (following it) and not in front of it (in the core). I can easily see myself ending up in your position if I was chasing alone and at night, which is why I do not. Glad your safe, if that wedge were to make a direct hit on that house I doubt.. well you get the picture. I think most chasers have had close calls. Last fall I was trying to get south of a cell in Atoka, OK as it made a right turn (into me). It was dark and I couldnt see much but from what I can figure out (afterwords) the meso passed right over me.... I didn't realize it at the time but I was very lucky that there was not a tornado on the ground at that time.

Glad you are ok Mark. Could not agree more Kenny about chasing at night. It's a totally different ballgame.
Mark - curious why, if you called off the chase at 10:15 just south of Benkelman, why you did not just double back a couple miles to 34 and head west towards home. You would have been home by midnight. Have you thought about diverting some of your laptop budget towards buying a vehicle charger for your cell?

Wow man, that was scary just reading that. I’m glad you made it out ok.

Don’t beat yourself over it, and don’t feel stupid – even the most respected storm chasers have found themselves in a bad situation. In fact, it wasn’t but just two years or so ago when our very own David Drummond found himself caught in a tornado I think up in Nebraska. I don’t recall all the details, but his post on the incident I’m sure is buried somewhere in the archives.

Night chasing is scary stuff; even as a storm chaser I have no problem admitting that. After 10 years of chasing, I still am reluctant about chasing after dark.

That's quite a story. I can only assume that you just missed the center of circulation. (or, thank god, it wasn't strong enough to obliterate your structure at least)

I bet you've gathered a greater respect for life, a bit more aprehensive about your mortality, eh?

Just about a year ago I had a similar experience with a tornado, though, I wasn't chasing. I was about a half block away from the center of the high end F2 that hit Iowa City April 13, 2006. Huddled in the lower level of hallway of a apartment complex with about 50 other individuals in the pitch black. I won't go into great detail in this post, but it was a damned scary experience, to say the least.

Enjoy life and chase safely. You've got a nice story now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

what an experience! Terrifying and fascinating at the same time. I am glad you made it. I guess you´ll think differently about chasing at night without data now ;) . I remember chasing a severe storm with large hail at night over here in southern Germany a few years ago. I too hadn´t any data and was trying to get to a spot where I could observe the updraft while being able to seek shelter under a gas station roof should there be large hail. Fortunately, the biggest stones only reached about 3 cm and damage to my car was minimal. The storm had a meso for quite some time but it seemed to be rather elevated. Hail and some flooding were issues but I knew that the tornado threat was very small and that´s why I decided to chase this storm even in the dark. But your situation was definitely very different, wow.

I´d like to translate your post and post it on a german wx forum if that´s ok with you?

Cheers,

Lars

What a harrowing and nightmarish experience! I am very glad you are safe and made it through the tornado without physical harm.

I must say you described that with vivid detail and I could practically envision the entire incident. Again, just thankful you're safe. Alot of things worked together:

1. The hail thankfully did not bust your windshield allowing you to see and proceed to the farmhouse in time.
2. A farmhouse happened to be there at the right time
3. The door thankfully was unlocked allowing you access without wasting time kicking it in
4. A solid table for shelter.
5. Your car was not damaged to the point of immobility.
6. Most importantly you were not injured by any debris.

You're dang lucky, man.

In a nutshell, punching the core of a large HP supercell at night during an outbreak....yeah, I'll pass.

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone of another major hazard of trying to get "home" after sunset with my personal experience story about a flooded road. I've told it before, but it has been a few years.

We all know how a chase ends with that point in time when we decide "Okay, that's it. I'm calling it a night and going to town to get a room." Problem is, and I know I've been guilty, and more than just during the night I here describe, the "chase" isn't over yet, whether we realize it or not, and oftentimes we had damn well realize it. Adrenaline level drops, and so may attention and concentration.

After chasing on May 3, 2001, I was on my way to Lubbock on a 2-lane when I saw what vaguely looked like flashing red/blue lights on an oncoming car. There had been copious rain (but it wasn't presently raining), and I did think to myself that the lights may mean a police car was indicating a flood on the road. I slowed to about 40mph (where I would normally have been going 65), but at the same time my concentration was seriously diverted by the fact that the lights were just barely above the other car's headlights, not "on the roof", they were just barely even visible (from my vantage point in FRONT of the other car with the headlights also hitting me), and the other car didn't seem to be moving even though it was in the lane, not on the shoulder. For just 2 or 3 seconds, I was completely focused on this other car, thinking "Now just what the hell IS that????"

That 2 or 3 seconds when I was concentrating on the other car and not the road turned out to be critical. Next thing I knew, my car had turned into a boat, and my tires had no contact with pavement. I was in about 2 feet of water. Unfortunately, the front end of my car veered directly at the other car, and I was going to have a direct head-on collision. I cranked the steering wheel to the right (even though there was no contact with pavement; it was just instinctive) and as I got closer and closer to a head-on, the wheels acted like rudders a bit, and the front end started turning back into my own lane. It was not quite enough, though.

About 6 inches of the left front of my car struck the left front of the cruiser, and both cars went flying into the ditches.

The cruiser had been stalled in the water in the lane, hence explaning what had, in part, confused me. The other thing was that the light bars were inside the car, not on top, but on the inside rear shelf. That's why I could barely see them from in front of the headlighted car. I'll forego the discussion about that here.

Nobody was seriously hurt. In addition to the deputy, there were two passengers in his back seat. I think I was the only one really even hurt, as I had a sore neck, but that's all. My sports coupe took the worst of it because the cruiser easily outweighed my car by 1000 lbs. My car was destroyed, and my insurance company paid the $16K to repair the cruiser.

So anyway, I tell this story as a reminder that the environment surrounding severe storms is treacherous in so many ways. Be very wary of flooding. It may bite you just when you least expect it. You can be happily driving along on fine roads in the dark unaware of what lurks just over the next crest. It could be 2 feet of water, a telephone pole, a cow freed by a storm-removed fence, a bale of hay, sudden hail on the road (which is the equivalent of driving on marbles of ice... just consider that peril for a sec...), even an oblivious fellow stormchaser. Don't let your guard down even though the chase is "over". Especially at night.

Thank God I had slowed before I hit that water.

WOW that is one hell of a story, it was scary feeling just reading it! Glad you made it through, Mark! Surely a good lesson for all! Also thanks for sharing it.

I had a core punch last year too, was chasing a massive HP supercell around here on August 14th which caught me before I ran out of it. Couldn't do nothing since highway was blocked by cars looking for shelter under an overpass. Thankfully hailstones were just 2" big along with 70-80mph outflow winds, so no big damage made to my car. And I didn't have a realtime radar access, just occasionally some scans. For those interested, check for pics of that amazing supercell on my website.

Be safe and do not risk chasing at night if you're not fully equipped to stay out there!

That was very scary just to even read....its probably good to know how your mind and body coped with that extremely stressful situation and that you seemed to be able to clearly think of what to do instead of freezing up and just going...£*%"!

Very well written story! I watched that storm on SL 4 and WOW it was impressive! It is good to hear a story about that very tornado, but most importantly it is good to hear that you made it out of that NASTY situation.

I also enjoyed the story but would be interested if anyone else was home when you stopped by and took shelter in the farmhouse.

Nice.....as a couple others have noted, it would be cool to see some pics/video and maybe even the damage to your car. I guess you are lucky that the house was unlocked and that no one else was there, or even the tornado that hit before that along a similiar path didn't damage or destroy that house.

I feel like a total idiot because when I was doing my damage survey of the EF2 that hit those three farmsteads north/northeast of Bird City, I drove by the farmhouse I took shelter in not once, but twice WITHOUT TAKING PICTURES!!! I downloaded my pics the minute I got home and was going through them wondering where the picture of that farmhouse was when the realization dawned on me... f***ing A! I'm really kicking myself on that one. :mad:
Well, it probably didn't help that I had one of the local gals and her mother riding along with me (they had a late model FWD Buick LeSabre and didn't want to get it stuck on the extremely muddy, partially washed out county roads) and they were giving me directions and chatting about the different places that got hit, who lived there etc. so I was distracted and forgot all about taking shots of the farmhouse I sought shelter in.
I did find out more about the house I sought shelter in, though. I was telling a local man who was helping clean up at one of the damaged farmstead's about my harrowing adventure. He asked me to describe the house. I did, and he told me that it was his brother's house, and his brother had not been living there for several years. It also happens that his place was about a half mile back to the northwest of the house I took shelter in on the west side of the highway (which I somehow missed) and he saw me scream by out his living room window while he was talking on the phone, and then about thirty seconds later he saw tree branches/debris start flying past the window and he ran to the basement! Apparently he had no idea it was coming, which is a scary thought. Luckily he only had minor tree/roof damage, likely resulting from the inflow into the tornado.
I will now answer a few questions some of you have asked:
- I was alone in the house, since no one was living there and everyone else had the common sense to stay home and seek shelter while one certain fool was gallavanting about just ASKING for trouble...:rolleyes:
- the damage to the truck was limited to mostly hail/flying debris dents and a few minor scratches from where the tin scraped the paint, thank god for small favors. It had hail dents before(that's the primary reason he let me use it to chase) and even though they're a lot more numerous and visble than they were before, he wasn't too upset about that. He would have murdered me if anything really major had happened to it, though, since we've been trying to sell it for over a year and all we have on it is liability coverage...
- the damage track of the first tornado (the 1/2 mile wide wedge which flattened the farmsteads northeast of Bird City) passed about just over a mile to the east of the farmhouse I sought shelter in. If it had nailed that house prior my arrival, I would have been TOTALLY screwed, as the ditches were full of water so I would have had nowhere to seek shelter from the tornado I drove into...
-Yes, Dustin, we did indeed run across the exact same hay bales. They were the last thing hit by the 26 mile path of the Bird City EF2(underrated in my opinion) wedge, which, like many other tornadoes in this outbreak, actually turned left, or northwest, toward the end of it's path and crossed back over Highway 161, destroying that barn like structure and scattering those hay bales from hell to breakfast.

Mark:

Grateful to God with praise that you made it through that event successfully. What an incredible experience and great description by you also! I sense an opportunity for a presentation at chaser/weather conferences in the future.

This is definitely NOT the first time that such a thing has happened. There have been some real scary close calls from others in this group just in the last five years.

That said, I am somewhat surprised that so far, no one has mentioned the role or opportunity that a nowcaster can play in assisting chasers with getting back home or to an overnight destination SAFELY. I am in no way saying that one needs a nowcaster to get back home or to a hotel, but it would be good for us all to have some way of obtaining data and information about what is going on around us---especially if we are going to be driving through a severe thunderstorm environment, or an area that experienced damaging weather after the chase.

I used to nowcast for several folk who are regulars on this forum. But I am now out of business---I have been "put out to pasture," thanks to WX-Works, Threat-Net, ect. lol. You hear that David, Dave, Bob, Phillip, Shane??? [I even updated my computer recently for you guys :) ] Ha, ha, ha.

Anyway, once the chase is over for the chaser, the night is NOT over for nowcasters or others who could be a source of beneficial information for chasers. Some suggestions / observations / recommendations:...

1. For chasers, try to have continued access to data (more than one source in case your favorite source fails) for your trip home or evening destination.
2. For nowcasters or others watching out for chaser friends---like I said earlier---the night IS NOT OVER........stay on top of things and stay in touch with your chasers.
3. It would be wise to have a decent prescribed plan of how you are going to travel to wherever you are going and to let others know about your plans and proposed route of travel. We all know that none of us hardly ever know where we will end up at the end of the chase day, but we should have some kinda game plan in the back of our minds and at the end of the day, we can let others know where we are and where we are going, with the stipulation that plans are always subject to change.
4. Now (casting) for the rest of the story.....this is where folks watching the weather for chasers need to stay in gear and begin to assess the situation. I would evaluate what is going between point of chase ending and heading home. Ongoing convection and its severeity with associated hazards? Are there any damage paths to be encountered, counties under flash flood warmings, or situations with the potential for new storms to fire? Anything that could affect a chaser's ability to get somewhere safely and in a decent amount of time. Keep up with watches, warnings, statements from local NWS offices, media reports, current radar, reports from other chasers. Flash flood and river flood warnings are of particular importance. And chasers / spotters should be inquiring about the same data from wherever and whoever they can obtain such vital information.

Quick case study---May 7th-8th, 2003.

David Drummond ( who only calls me now if he bags multiple tornadoes in a single hour :)) ) was chasing the Big Country of West Texas that Wednesday afternoon. He comes through Fort Worth and chats over dinner on his way to Oklahoma for the evening to chase a potential High Risk the next day (which did materialize). D-Day leaves Ft. Worth at about 11:30 PM (late dinner) heading up I-35 towards Norman. I go back to my usual routines but notice at about 12:15 AM, an incredible supercell storm that has increased in intensity east northeast of Wichita Falls, Texas that is moving east towards the Ardmore, OK area. Well, the hail core was just incredible, especially for such a late night storm. Dbz's were approaching 70 and VIL's were between 70 and 80. The storm is both severe and tornado warned with confirmed giant hail and spotter reports of tornado touchdowns west of Ardmore near Wilson. I thought I better call David to let him know that if he is South of the storm, to sit it out and let it pass by to his north. Or if he is east of the storm, to keep hauling north and get out of its way. Well, what does he do--he goes after it and contemplates a full scale core punch. Dave intercepts the storm on its south flank, experiences a close encounter with a significant night time tornado, gets some hail, goes looking for and finds the damage path, checks on my relatives near Ardmore, and does not get to Norman before 5:00 AM. We all know the rest of the story. Not to brag, I would do this for anyone, but I assessed this as a successful case of nowcaster intervention.

As for my last out of state chase, embarassingly I must admit, 5/29/04 from Fort Worth to Thomas, Oklahoma to Oklahoma City back to Fort Worth. Great chase. Great celebratory dinner in Oklahoma City at Johnny Carinos. But had to check in and out with nowcasters (George Tincher and Danielle Flannery) as to if storms were firing in the I-35 corridor between Norman and Ardmore on my way back to Fort Worth. Some short-lived storms did develop but they never got in the way. I was prepared to take other road options and dodge the developing storms if the need arised. The area was still in a Tor Watch and quite unstable. Got back to Fort Worth late with no problems. Was not sure where the chase would take us that day but once the chase was over, knew the route home and made plans accordingly.

Enough rambliing---most of us know what to do!

Again, very thankful that Mark got through that experience without any physical scars and hope that the rest of us can say the same as we go through this interesting 2007 year. Take care and be safe out there.
Call your nowcasters darnnddned it!!! :))

TomTackett
Ft. Worth, TX....."Where the West Begins."

Tom has been a tremendous help in years past during and AFTER the chase. I can recall a night in the Panhandle trying to get home and surrounded by supercells and NO DATA (pre-wxworx). Tom found me a safe place to ride it out between two close supercells when I have to admit I had gotten darn scared not knowing what was going on around me and blinding rain. The closest shelter I had anywhere was between two METAL grain silos. NOTHING is worse than being caught at night with NO DATA and NO INFO.

Back