Chaser destroys rental car in hail storm

The bigger question is when do social media outlets like YouTube and X stop allowing extreme video of such destruction, which only greenlights and encourages others to emulate the behavior? It seems like ever year the bar is raised to find more extreme antics for social media stardumb.
For what it's worth there is an entire policy on this but it evidently does not apply here otherwise said content would be removed and verboten.
C.f., Harmful or dangerous content policy

The platforms seem to be most concerned with censoring videos that could cause imminent danger to viewers who emulate them, e.g., eating Tide pods or blowing things up with kitchen chemicals. There's a risk vs. reward with content that provides greater monetization, as some live streams and videos like this do. I suspect that, in their mind, this issue isn't one worth censoring since it's off the radar and not causing imminent harm to viewers hence it being allowed to stand. X seems to be taking an even more laissez-fair stance on censorship given that they are now allowing more robust adult content per an announcement earlier this week.

I really don't understand the compulsion many people have to censor nonviolent content on social media simply because they disagree with it, or it ostensibly encourages bad behavior, or whatever else. There are edge cases, perhaps one example being the most egregiously dangerous misinformation during a deadly pandemic, that I can at least understand the urge for. But live streaming your storm chase, even if you're engaged in questionable tactics, simply isn't going to be the proximate cause of thousands of viewers going out and getting themselves killed in a tornado on the next 10% hatched day. Is it infuriating that the worst, most obnoxious behavior almost always rises to the top on every social media platform? Absolutely. But despite all the wringing of hands over algorithms and attempts to lay most of the blame at the feet of people like Zuckerburg, I've always maintained that this outcome is mostly a reflection of the small-mindedness of the general public... in other words, it's innate to our species, and most people will continually seek out the "bad" content even if you try to nudge them away from it. If that's the case, algorithm tweaks and censorious policies would be minor band-aids at best, with the latter having all sorts of unintended downsides.

it's kind of an interesting paradigm where once gladiators fought and killed for the pleasure of Caesar, the senate and crowd a-like. the "real" social media of the day, lol.

This is so very true. The gladiators were skilled, fit fighting men and proud of it -- until they were killed by another fighter or wild beast. Those were the days! They did not pretend to be killing lions to protect people from wildlife or claim they were PhD metallurgists conducting shield strength research.

The big difference with such comparisons is that some chasers feel the need to legitimize their actions, often by bogus science or other silly excuses. Why? I've never understood why the extreme elements of chasing just don't embrace their imbecilic and wildly entertaining behavior. I believe by being 100% honest and portraying yourself as a complete death-defying, public endangering entertainer, you would gain an even bigger audience. I'm talking about Evil Knievel fused with the Jackass Show!

Here are some examples:

I've never understood why the extreme elements of chasing just don't embrace their imbecilic and wildly entertaining behavior. I believe by being 100% honest and portraying yourself as a complete death-defying, public endangering entertainer, you would gain an even bigger audience. I'm talking about Evil Knievel fused with the Jackass Show!
But isn't that what Reed did in the stunt that led to this thread? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I did not watch his video and am not going to, because that would just give him one more click. I know he has plenty, but I do still have control of MY clicks.

Reed Timmer has posted numerous videos of intercepting tornadoes in rental vehicles. So if charges are ever filed, the videos he has posted to social media. This should be proliferated throughout the storm chasing community! Do not risk you career, and end up incarcerated and chasing soap in the shower! Bwahahaha
Ron White once said "You can't fix stupid"....I say you can, but it's gonna hurt like a mofo!

Back