How to save money to chase this year.

I always use the trip from Charleston out west as a gauge. I fill up the tank just outside of Charleston and see how far west I can make it before I have to stop. Mount Vernon, Illinois is the usual stopping point, a little over 6 hours away. I actually haven't noticed a difference with either 1.) the AC on or off and 2.) equipment on the roof, including a large cargo carrier.

If there is any reduction in MPG, it is probably so small that the monetary cost is negligible.

Here are a few of my tactics, some of these have already been mentioned:

1.) Carpool! 2 people cuts your costs in half. Four people reduces them by 75%!

2.) Hotel choice. Be willing to endure some less than 'five-star' hotels. We've also used hotels.com many nights to get decent rates.

3.) Sleep in the car if you're traveling solo. Be wise and careful about where you park so you don't make yourself a target for criminals and/or a subject to be harassed by suspicious police/security guards/property owners.

OK, I just finished the 2008 Costs Worksheet to help with cost planning. It is really designed for me, but can be useful for others.

Looking at the gas, that is definitely the place to save. For the past four years the prices surged between Jan 1 and May 1st. The past two years saw an $0.80 to $0.90 increase.....ouch. A 1mpg increase over 12,000 miles at $3.80 is a $105+/- savings.

Another savings tip I thought of. Get a credit card, or gas card that has a rebate on it. Some of the have a 2% to 5% rebate on a particular station, and some are not particular about the brand.

the reason i dont have the right equipment or too much else for that matter is due to inferior budgeting...this is a good thread...

with that said, i do have the affinity for a good budgeting system...my ex always used to badger herself and beat herself up because she had such a hard time keeping the bills paid, and keeping things on track...she made plenty of money, so that wasnt the issue...i told her that she wasnt a bad person, she just had bad budgeting skills and i pointed out some of her daily expenses...and boy howdy! do they add up!!

picking up things like snacks at the gas station, beer, clothes, food and all that...

it will add up sooo high you wouldent believe...for those of you with a bank account ATM fees and things like that will be the death of you in the long run...after reviewing receipts and whatnot...i found that out of a $200 paycheck, she had spent up to $60 on bull* at gas stations and mc donalds and whatnot, and then...she spend money on beer and some other things...leaving her about $50 to live off of to the next week!

needless to say, thats why the power got shut off...

simple things like that will make you more money for your chasing...

what i would do is this...put you some money aside every check...and ask yourself "do i really need this?" and if you find that saving that few extra dollars for your new wireless card or camera is worth more then the item you wanted to purchase...then save that money!!!

My mileage on my minivan before I added all the junk on top, including a full lightbar, and after I added it, dropped a WHOPPING 1 mpg. I added a K&N Filter, which gave me a 2mpg increase, so I had a net 1 mpg increase overall.

David, I thought K&N filters were a no-no. Supposedly they don't filter very well and lead to premature engine wear. Since you're the board's "car dude," I have to assume this 'common knowledge' is wrong.

Maybe the problem is insufficient oiling of the filter media? :confused:

I've never heard that. I've used them for years in ever vehicle I had and never lost an engine. Anyone I ever worked with or known that worked with vehicles swears by them. Especially out here in West Texas with all the dust.

Your right though, they have to be properly oiled. It's not the filter material that catches the crap, it's the oil in it. If it wasn't oiled properly a lot of stuff would get through.

EDITED TO ADD: If you oil them too heavily, some of the oil can get on the MAF sensor and could potentially cause false readings. This could flag a CHECK ENGINE light. It's easily remedied by cleaning it (the sensor) carefully with some spray carb cleaner.

I just googled some on Bad K&N....seems that the oil in the filter is what some are using as the reason they are bad for your engine. The amount of potential oil that might gets sucked in to your intact is very, very negligible. It will quickly end up in the combustion chamber anyway, where there is far more oil on the cylinder walls all the time than will ever come from that filter. The logic there just doesn't play out. The contamination of the MAF sensor due to over oiling the filter is the worst case, and again, an easy remedy if that happens.

I've heard the same thing about over-oiling the K&N's and causing problems, but I've yet to hear of anyone having an engine failure using a K&N. Now on one of the Mustang forums I'm on, some of the guys are using Amsoil air filters, which are another brand of high performance air filter. Supposedly those are better at filtering out small particles than a K&N. I've got the K&N FIPK and used it the last 15K miles, it's helped raise my mileage by 2-3 mpg. If you chase with a pickup truck like me, using a tonneau cover over the bed will also help raise your mpg a bit. I'd definitely say the K&N and bed cover have saved me some $$$ and are worth it.

Never liked A/C anyway. Windows down!! Much rather hear the crack of a loud thunderbolt!!

I bought a new (to me) 2004 Silverado this past fall. Since then I have added an aftermarket exhaust and K&N filter. Seeing on highway ~2.5mpg gas increase. Sat down and did some math and seems, with gas the current price, that it should pay for itself in about 30k miles. Not too bad.

Back