Chaser code of ethics?

It is also worth noting that the vehicles he passed were utility trucks preparing to start work on damages caused to their equipment and were driving slowly to keep behind the storm.

I, too, was watching the live stream and to me it didn't look like the utility trucks were preparing to start work. It looked like they were driving down the highway at the same speed as the other traffic, including the school bus, being passed on a double yellow line. At one point during the double yellow passing it looked like they went past a police car parked on the shoulder. I was hoping to see a live stream of a traffic stop but it never happened. Irresponsible.

At one point during the double yellow passing it looked like they went past a police car parked on the shoulder. I was hoping to see a live stream of a traffic stop but it never happened. Irresponsible.
Well, must not have been a cop or the cop wasn't with the car. Any chance it was a cop with his car, and it was not seen as dangerous? I didn't watch the stream, so I don't know what did/didn't happen, but not having a cop go after someone for driving like the accusations seems weird to the outside person reading the posts here about it.

It was probably a whackermobile ex-police car. Those seem to be popular amongst some chasers and a certain demographic. Not sure why.

Actually I've met a few chasers with decommissioned police crown vic's they bought because the RAM mount would bolt into it, (seems like an odd reason to buy a car for) and because they were cheap. Yet I sure as hell wouldn't wanna pay their fuel costs, or be stuck on a mud road with one.

I remember pulling into a gas station in TX and talking to a local about a storm I was on. I mentioned that if we're lucky, a tornado would just hit an open field. She looked at me like I was beating her dog and said, "There's crops in those fields! That's someone's living for the year." I never thought about it until she said that, so I learned to keep my ignorant comments to myself and try to think first. And I know first hand the backlash of the webcam (see Kearney, NE 2009). We live and learn, hopefully those who made the comments will read this and think about what they say next time. People get excited when they are chasing. I love the Youtube videos where the guys are saying, "Tornado! Huge, violent, wedge tornado!" about 10 times in a 2 minute video. We all know it's a tornado, but I get that the adrenaline is rushing and the mouth loses connection with the brain a little.

Ok, I struggled with posting this, but I feel it needs to be done. I watched Mike Gribble's steam for about an hour earlier. He was on one of the earlier storms east of hillsboro. I observed some very serious, and quite dangerous traffic violations on his steam. At one point, he passed a school bus and probably 10 other cars on a double yellow with cars oncoming. He also passed 5 or 6 cars in a left turn lane, zipping back into the lane narrowly avoiding a head on collision. He blew through several stop signs, including a four way in which again he almost caused a collision.

I'm not one to call folks out, or go around pointing fingers and getting into other peoples business. However, this crossed the line. It was wreckless, and put innocent folks in danger.

Code of ethics??? Thats funny!!!!

I guess I am just not understanding this.....We have had everything from Sean driving west in the east bound lane of I-70 in 2008 with traffic almost hitting the TIV to a tour company getting hit directly by one of the Wakita tornadoes and getting their guests injured to Reed and company driving/chasing with no lights on in the dark just last week. All of these events were seen on national TV, youtube or the Discovery Show with very little or no care at all. In fact, many people were screaming how good the video was/is. Now we have a thread regarding what was heard on someones audio stream and IMO obviously taken way out of context much less by a newbie chaser (and I do not mean any disrespect when saying that)

I am all about calling someone out if needed, a prime example would be the thread I started about those chasing with no lights on. I even took much heat with e-mails and PMs regarding how I "outlined" the incident by the TVN crew about chasing with no lights on yet they were the one's who posted said video to begin with. The fact of the matter is that people are going to do and say things that others, including myself, are not going to agree with. People are going to do stupid and unsafe things just to get the shot. It is what stormchasing has become plain and simple and if we were all being truthful with ourselves it is exactly the reason why we tune in every week in October and watch Discovery. We want to see that "good video". Yes we will bitch and piss and moan about how unsafe it is at the time, starting threads here or blogging about it but really it is the reason why we tune in to a show that is in its 5th season that IMO should have already run its course yet due to ratings it is still ongoing.

As far as Mikey Gribble......he is more than a seasoned chaser and although I have not seen the video yet, I suspect there is way more to this story than what meets the eye. While Mikey and I have had issue with each other in the past, he is a good chaser who I respect very much. In the years that I have known him I cannot remember him doing something that was unsafe period. He is just not that kind of chaser. Would he speed? I am sure he has as most of us have and will do in the future but as far as "almost caused a collision" I am not sure I buy the story. Again, I have to believe that there is more than what meets the eye here.

As far audio on a stream, the same folks almost got eaten by the Yazoo City wedge event last year simply due to the fact that they had no idea what they were doing IMO. This is where the word newbie comes to mind. And again I mean no disrespect when saying that as we were all newbs ourselves once. Uncle Chuck used to have a saying that went something like this: "Let Darwinism control itself" and for once I couldn't agree more with ol uncle Chuck.

As people have said already, the simple way to cure this problem is to turn the audio off. It does not get any easier than the off button.

James, I look forward to seeing some wonderful pics from this event, I saw you were pretty close and am excited to see some pics. :)

It only takes once, I realize that. That said I drive like an old man to save gas to my Target and probably speed at one point on every chase once things get going. Do I draw a limit? Absolutely. Can I be called an idiot driver? Probably by someone almost every time. Most citizens are like "cool" when they realize who you are. Even if I pass safely, some don't like to be passed though. I worry more about passing one of you guys and have missed a tornado in the past because of it. As far as the live stream, I turn mine off when its obvious that I'm being an idiot to someone. I lose viewers because of it but I try my hardest not to "shame" the rest of the chasing community. I will pay for it one day I know. I got pulled over yesterday and the cop let me go in about 15 seconds while taking a local that was trying to follow me to jail. He asked if I wad chasing and I said yes and who for. I don't abuse that though because as some know that information can make things alot worse.

David,
I'd like to apologize, You are correct I quickly went to a different stream, yes my family in Sherman was watching your stream and I think that if it were headed toward me and I heard that I wouldn't have got worked up about it, but being it was my family I admit my emotions got caught up in the issue. I will add you had a lot of great info when it was over Gainesville and Whitesburo, and I thank you for that. Also thank you the reply.

I've also been in your situation (storm heading toward my family) and it is awful to see that happening and worry about loved ones and their community. Especially if power goes out and you can't reach them by phone.

But on the other end, I've gotten caught up in the excitement of the storm (or forecast for the day) and momentarily forgotten that we are talking real people and real lives at risk. Similar to how perfectly normal people sometimes lapse into road rage on the highway (or pick their nose, or give the finger) because they feel anonymous in their cars. Or the way people sometimes go over the top with comments on anonymous Internet message boards (that's not a reference to Stormtrack!).

I don't think I've ever said anything like those comments -- they were clearly over the top and unacceptable -- but perhaps we should cut them a little slack too.

RST

As far as Mikey Gribble......he is more than a seasoned chaser and although I have not seen the video yet, I suspect there is way more to this story than what meets the eye. While Mikey and I have had issue with each other in the past, he is a good chaser who I respect very much. In the years that I have known him I cannot remember him doing something that was unsafe period. He is just not that kind of chaser. Would he speed? I am sure he has as most of us have and will do in the future but as far as "almost caused a collision" I am not sure I buy the story. Again, I have to believe that there is more than what meets the eye here.
James, I look forward to seeing some wonderful pics from this event, I saw you were pretty close and am excited to see some pics. :)

Lanny, I also have a lot of respect for Mikey. If you read earlier in the thread, you'll see that he already acklowedged the wreckless driving on his blog, and said that he wasn't the one driving. I was glad to hear that. I'm not just talking about speeding here, as I know pretty much everyone (including me) does that in the heat of the moment. Without actually having a video to see, though, it's all he said she said.

I did chase yesterday, Lanny, although I stayed in Collin county (my home county) to spot/report and stay close to my family. We expected a second wave (indicated on the HRRR) of storms to fire in my immediate area and track through. That did not materialize, thankfully. Of course, if you are interested, all my chase photos/accounts form this year are on my website:

http://www.langfordphotography.com/Storm-Chasing/2011Season

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, let's all be pragmatic here: you put the stream up because you want people to see (and maybe hear) what you're doing. If you do something boneheaded, of course people are going to notice and talk about it. But it's a simple situation to avoid, as I see it. Either don't drive recklessly, or if you must, then turn your feed off until the incident is done with. Peoples' feeds go off and on all the time during chases. But come on; if your live feed shows you doing something irresponsible, you can't go acting all offended or (worse) actually try to justify the action when somebody points it out. Audience feedback is audience feedback - use it constructively! The one guy who comes up to you and says "Dude, your zipper's down and everyone can see it" is doing you a bigger favor than all the others who saw but chose not to say anything.

I'm amazed that there are people who can be live for 6-8 hours with audio and not say something that would offend someone watching at some point. As for myself, I keep the audio muted because there are phone calls, conversations, etc that happen in the course of events that the general public doesn't need to hear, and you'd have to be pretty savvy to be able to filter yourself for a long period of time especially with the adrenaline flowing. I know I couldn't.

Streaming is very cool, and lets a lot of people see what you get to see...but it also lets a lot of people see what you do, and you have to be prepared for that.

Yeah I do apologize for the driving incident yesterday. I really appreciate the people that took up for me on here too. That means a lot to know I have some people that will stand up for me when I'm not available to defend myself. And as others have mentioned I wasn't actually driving. However I am a very honest person so I'll admit I did condone the passing in the no passing zone incident at the time. We were stuck behind a line of utility trucks driving right in behind the RFD. They were driving slow to avoid going into the rain shaft in front of us, which was understandable. There was a school bus in the line too. There were no cars coming at that time and it was either pass or lose the storm. I told the driver to pass on that one because I did feel like it was safe. Illegal, but safe.

There were a couple other driving incidents I didn't condone and I told the guy driving to knock it off right after it happened. This was the first time I ever chased with this particular guy btw. When we chase I ride shotgun and have my face burried in a laptop navigating and monitoring radar, so I'm not watching the road and telling the driver what to do. The two other passes that I didn't agree with were inapropriate and a little dangerous, and although this isn't an excuse, every single one of you that chases knows those things happen CONSTANTLY on tornado warned storms. I have video yesterday of a very well known chaser doing the exact same thing we did. They were just ahead of us in line and didn't happen to have a bunch of people watching their stream at the time. I'm not going to throw them under the bus because it's not my style. To each their own though.

The thing that really pisses me off about all of this is the lack of perspective and objectivity by the people making complaints. I got some ridiculous emails over this whole deal. If you want to cite us for endangering the public, okay, that's fair. BUT, you also better give us credit for the good we do being out there. I had at least one, probably two tornadoes on streaming video yesterday. We all know the NWS and media outlets watch that stuff and issue warnings and updates off of it. So if you want to criticize chasers for the risk they pose, then give them credit for the good they are doing too.

The other thing that bothers me is passing in a no passing zone is a minor traffic infraction. That's not my opinion, it's the law. I didn't write it and I'm not saying great harm can't come from a minor traffic infraction. What I am saying though is that there are people texting while driving, speeding, running red lights, etc any time you drive around town. Do the people that care enough to make a big deal out of passing in a no passing zone on a tornado warned storm call the cops and file complaints every time they pull up along somebody on the highway and see them on their cell phone? No because that's ridiculous. So why is it such a big deal to them when a chaser does it? At least with a chaser you have a partially valid reason for driving like an ass, so if anything I think it's worse when the average citizen does it (or certainly equally as bad if not worse), but we don't make nearly as big of a deal out of it then.

Anyway, I take responsibility for that. We shouldn't have made a couple passes that we did the other day. It was stupid and done in the heat of the moment. Let's call a spade a spade though. The only difference between me and a LOT of other chasers on that storm yesterday was that I happened to have a lot of viewers when we were driving like retards. Let's not pretend like this isn't common place. It is chaos on tornadic storms, especially when there are poor road networks with fast storm motions. I'm not saying it's okay. I'm just saying a little perspective would be nice from some of the critics. A little credit for the good we do would be nice too.
And on a side note, in my experience the cops and locals are just as bad about breaking traffic laws as the chasers are on these storms, so it's not like we are the only ones. We just take the majority of the heat for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some ridiculous emails over this whole deal. If you want to cite us for endangering the public, okay, that's fair. BUT, you also better give us credit for the good we do being out there.

I'm no saint and routinely speed while chasing and have pulled some stunts while chasing. I'm guilty. I don't think the spotter aspect of chasing is ever a justification for these maneuvers though. These storms were well warned and there were plenty of other spotters in better locations. There's no real need to break laws to get ground verification of a tornado warning.

I applaud your honesty Mikey, and I think we should all have the integrity to own up to our public actions. I know it was not implied in your post, but being a spotter or chaser never puts us above the law. Sure if you've got a medical emergency, I'd be passing that school bus too. The good of reporting severe weather to the NWS does not outweigh the bad of traffic violations, however.

Amen, Skip! Ive done my share of passing cars and speeding too, but its pretty clear when the line is crossed. I felt compelled to comment on Mikey's feed yesterday in response to others who were defending the driving (he's saving lives...). As one who puts out warnings (for the NWS) i know how valuable live feeds are, but I don't buy the "I'm saving lives" justification for reckless driving. I also applaud Mikey's honesty and willingness to come out and apologize, and give more info to the story.

Back