Chaser code of ethics?

Nope, we need to not associate this individual with a team or a company. We need not wrap this individual into a type of chaser. The person who started this thread needs to put his name out there, otherwise this is nothing but a waste of time.

Ok, I struggled with posting this, but I feel it needs to be done. I watched Mike Gribble's steam for about an hour earlier. He was on one of the earlier storms east of hillsboro. I observed some very serious, and quite dangerous traffic violations on his steam. At one point, he passed a school bus and probably 10 other cars on a double yellow with cars oncoming. He also passed 5 or 6 cars in a left turn lane, zipping back into the lane narrowly avoiding a head on collision. He blew through several stop signs, including a four way in which again he almost caused a collision.

I'm not one to call folks out, or go around pointing fingers and getting into other peoples business. However, this crossed the line. It was wreckless, and put innocent folks in danger.

Nope, we need to not associate this individual with a team or a company. We need not wrap this individual into a type of chaser. The person who started this thread needs to put his name out there, otherwise this is nothing but a waste of time.

I hope I get this right but it was listed across the bottom of their feed, I recall it saying something to the effect of "Texas Tornado Chasers" that was the first feed, he had a girl with him, honestly I don't recall the name of the person from the second feed. I should have noted the names.

The video encoder setup for ChaserTV indicates un-checking the Audio box in the encoder. This would not only allow bandwidth to be dedicated to the video, but also prevent the situation described in this thread. This seems to be both a prudent and wise option. If you're taping your stream, your audio will be there for later broadcast or upload to the Internet, and the audio can be edited if required. Streaming live audio, IMHO, doesn't make sense.

Ok, I struggled with posting this, but I feel it needs to be done. I watched Mike Gribble's steam for about an hour earlier. He was on one of the earlier storms east of hillsboro. I observed some very serious, and quite dangerous traffic violations on his steam. At one point, he passed a school bus and probably 10 other cars on a double yellow with cars oncoming. He also passed 5 or 6 cars in a left turn lane, zipping back into the lane narrowly avoiding a head on collision. He blew through several stop signs, including a four way in which again he almost caused a collision.

I'm not one to call folks out, or go around pointing fingers and getting into other peoples business. However, this crossed the line. It was wreckless, and put innocent folks in danger.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Put it out there! The only way we can protect our image as a group is to throw those bringing us down under the bus. I'm not too familiar with the instance you speak of personally although I did hear some third-party banter about the stream earlier this evening.
Cameras are always rolling; be it some random chasers dash cam or your own live stream. Be careful and responsible out there!

Streaming live audio can be a definite plus, depending on the person/people present. You can educate people as to what they are seeing, what is going on around you, etc etc. Let's face it, watching video with no audio can get boring after a short time. This allows the viewers to participate in the experience more. I try to have at least the local NOAA radio going, and maybe the ham SKYWARN net repeater dialed up, or even local fire/police frequencies so they can listen to that as well, when I have the audio on.

All that said, it's very difficult to remember your every word will be broadcast, even for people like me who are used to regularly getting on the air live to thousands of people. That's the hazard of live TV, be it broadcast from a large company, or on the internet via someone's personal feed. Once it's out there, you can't edit it, and you can't take it back. If you stream live, you have to realize this, and either curb your behavior accordingly, or be prepared to deal with the fallout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Streaming live audio, IMHO, doesn't make sense.
Unless you do it right!

Folks loved, almost exclusively, my audio from the coverage I did during the DC snowmaggedon event in 2009 & 2010.

I you are worried about saying anything...just put up a note in the car the says "ON AIR" or something to remind you the entire time to watch what you say.

Streaming live audio can be a definitely plus, depending on the person/people present. You can educate people as to what they are seeing, what is going on around you, etc etc. Let's face it, watching video with no audio can get boring after a short time. This allows the viewers to participate in the experience more. I try to have at least the local NOAA radio going, and maybe the ham SKYWARN net repeater dialed up, or even local fire/police frequencies so they can listen to that as well, when I have the audio on.

All that said, it's very difficult to remember your every word will be broadcast, even for people like me who are used to regularly getting on the air live to thousands of people. That's the hazard of live TV, be it broadcast from a large company, or on the internet via someone's personal feed. Once it's out there, you can't edit it, and you can't take it back.

Hey David! Actually I was on your feed that day, it's the one I ended up staying on, because of the reasons stated above.

It's funny you mention that Jason. I've been more concerned about some of the stuff people say that just come up out of the blue. I've had a couple of chasers get all bent out of shape with me because I wouldn't roll the window down and talk to them, when I actually WAS live/on air with the TV station.

Had you not closed the stream off when you did, you would have noted where I said "In reality, ..." and I explained the current situation with the storm and what threats the town (Sherman) faced. You obviously do not understand how to read a attitude off a voice. It was a fun, local chase where I took a fellow chaser along, and we enjoyed the day. Anyone on that cell could tell you by the time it passed about ten miles east of Gainesville that it was not a significant tornado threat, and I expressed that on the live stream. The comment "Sherman is going to die!" was in reference to the baseball+ size hail being reported. I've yet to receive one negative email about that chase, Sunday's chase, or today's chase with the audio on the stream.

If you watched yesterday's or today's stream you would have noticed a considerable change in my attitude and tone of voice, because the storms did pose a significant threat. Out of the 15,000+ folks who viewed my stream today, I have yet to receive one negative email or comment about the addition of audio to the stream. Thank you for your feedback Matt, I'll definitely keep them in mind.

David,
I'd like to apologize, You are correct I quickly went to a different stream, yes my family in Sherman was watching your stream and I think that if it were headed toward me and I heard that I wouldn't have got worked up about it, but being it was my family I admit my emotions got caught up in the issue. I will add you had a lot of great info when it was over Gainesville and Whitesburo, and I thank you for that. Also thank you the reply.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Put it out there! The only way we can protect our image as a group is to throw those bringing us down under the bus. I'm not too familiar with the instance you speak of personally although I did hear some third-party banter about the stream earlier this evening.
Cameras are always rolling; be it some random chasers dash cam or your own live stream. Be careful and responsible out there!

Mike Gribble briefly wrote about this on his blog ( I imagine that he will chime in about this later)...he knows that this does not look good for the group and has apologized. He also indicated that he was not the person driving the vehicle.

David, awesome! Glad to hear it. Sounds like he needs to kick his drivers but.

No offense but im shocked by how many people are truly shocked. What did you expect? The author of this thread has some valid points but your bringing up issues much deeper than this one issue in your overall point. Going to have people coming to know Jesus Christ as their lord and savior if we want to get to the heart of this problem. Your going to see this across the board in anything you want to name off. Sports, public speeking(lol), live news production rooms(ROFL). Lets not get started on unsafe driving. PDS situation + tornado warned storm+professional storm spotters dealing with stupid locals out gawking at a tornado warned storms = risky, perhaps unsafe driving at moments.

Having said all that, the law does say you come to a complete stop when you come up to a stop sign. You also cant pass on a double yellow. Driving in excess of the posted speed limits puts everyone at risk especially while driving in unsafe driving conditions.

In Mikes defense his driver is somewhat new and im sure was just trying to show he was willing to do what it takes to get there. With his lack of overall experience instead of publicly shunning the guy why dont one of the older guys try and talk to the guy and give him an ear or two. Then dust his shoulders off and send him on your way. Believe me after this ill bet he never pulls something like today ever again.

Mike Gribble briefly wrote about this on his blog ( I imagine that he will chime in about this later)...he knows that this does not look good for the group and has apologized. He also indicated that he was not the person driving the vehicle.

It is also worth noting that the vehicles he passed were utility trucks preparing to start work on damages caused to their equipment and were driving slowly to keep behind the storm.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I'd ever run a live audio stream. The last thing I need is for anyone to hear the colorful things I have to say when I managed to spill soda in my lap.... or chatting with "Amarillo Rose".

Back