Chase Case #15

I am going to microadjust once again and head west from Seymour to Guthrie, TX.

Well I missed last nights updates but it wouldnt have mattered, in Hays KS and out of position to make a play at the panhandle. Only choice now is to head west again, so I guess right now after the 18-20z updates I would have been over in or near Eastern CO. Should have just turned around and went back home...lol.

Storms are moving along up by Mitchel, NE, but that little blob of convection to my SW by Otis, CO, grabs my attention. It's closer, it's moving toward higher dewpoints, and the dewpoints are advecting toward it. In fact, the dews up in extreme NW Kansas are showing real signs of hope; I see one reading of 70/59 right by the KS/NE/CO borders. So right now, I'm tempted to drop southwest. But I like the backing winds up here in Julesburg, and I'm in reach of a more northern play if that pulls together better. Gonna sit here one more round and keep close watch on that isolated tower down by Otis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to try to make it to Quanah, TX. I was right about my suspicions for the Arkatex area, but that is a crappy chase area so I'm better off out here in Northern Texas/SW OKlahoma.

With the convergence line shifted a little farther west, I'm going to keep heading south through Wellington, then catch 256 west to Memphis, TX. I have good road options from there and can catch anything that moves off the Caprock. Terrain is a bit tough, but at least it's pretty.

I shot up from Julesburg and am on the cell near Scotts Bluff, NE starting to get some pea sized hail and a lowering is forming.

With Verne gone, I'm getting antsy. Might be time to pull the trigger. I'm heading SW toward Otis, CO. Good luck to all you guys in the northern chase squad. :)

With Verne gone, I'm getting antsy. Might be time to pull the trigger. I'm heading SW toward Otis, CO. Good luck to all you guys in the northern chase squad. :)

I'll meet ya over there Bob. Just coming up from I-70 right now. Nothing better to do now that way the heck out here in Eastern CO.

Sounds good, Josh. With a little luck, that lone cu plume will have gotten its act together by the time we arrive. Andy is sitting there in the next town to the west. Should'a known--he's practically a convective index in his own right.

Well, I made it to North Platte around 20Z, and after looking at the 20Z data I have decided to head towards the east into the somewhat warmer temps. I am going to head towards Kearney NE. and wait for the 21Z update. According to the 20z update there is a warm front stretching from DFW to Shreveport. This seems like an occluded system. . .

Is it possible to get a synoptic map of the CONUS?

Well I headed west from Stinnett to I-27 and went south tentatively to Canyon. I am now sitting waiting for things to pop anytime now. I have a good eye on my rear view mirror just in case things go just north of here. It looks like the dryline is starting to get its act together. I really like the Hereford to Dimmit area and am watching for something to spark in that area! But I may have to go further south so I am going to hang tight on this road for now. The Cap down here is weakening which is making me feel more confident!

I shot up from Julesburg and am on the cell near Scotts Bluff, NE starting to get some pea sized hail and a lowering is forming.

Verne, you did read in my mind: I'm heading toward Scottbluff,Ne, ready to catch some towering cumulus developing down there.
I don't like the moisture at all: hope to get at least 60's in the next few hours.

Sharp dryline in Tx: texas chasers, enjoy that dryline, whish I could be with you.

I pulled into Shamrock, TX a little past 20Z. I didn't like the lack of clearing as I was heading down from Woodward. I check out the MD and cap issues and realize I need to keep heading south. The 20 Z obs tell me to get south fast and even some west, but initiation may occur as I am heading south so the storms will get further east as I drive. I like the dyline buldges near Lubbock, so I will be heading south on US 83 fast, past Childress and on toward Guthrie, looking southwest for initiation and possible routes to the west.

Back