CHASE CASE 14

Matt Gingery

This case should not be as easy as the last case to solve. I imagine a few will possibly remember this case once we get late into it and alot of the images are known. There will be no confusion in this case. The first list of data is derived from 00Z data. There will be updates on a daily basis. The 12 Z update will be sometime tomorrow. I wish the best of luck to everyone. There will be ample time to post on the 00Z info. . .

00Z DATA

MAPS AND U.A. CHARTS

00Z CONUS IR: http://i39.tinypic.com/14295p3.jpg

Surface Analysis: http://i44.tinypic.com/345cw7s.gif

925mb UA: http://i42.tinypic.com/2lj0ra0.gif

850mb UA: http://i40.tinypic.com/nfh2rr.gif

700mb UA: http://i42.tinypic.com/19xrwo.gif

500mb UA: http://i44.tinypic.com/17povq.gif

300mb UA: http://i39.tinypic.com/t4zncy.gif

Convective Outlook:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2urkpb4.gif

Convective Analysis:

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS SRN/CNTRL PLAINS INTO MID MO
VALLEY....
MODELS SUGGEST AMPLIFICATION OF LARGE-SCALE TROUGH OVER THE WESTERN
STATES WILL OCCUR DURING THIS FORECAST PERIOD. SHORT WAVE TROUGH IS
ALREADY APPROACHING CALIFORNIA...AND WILL DIG INTO THE SOUTHERN
PLATEAU TODAY...AS INTENSE UPSTREAM UPPER JET CONTINUES TO NOSE
ACROSS THE NORTH CENTRAL INTO NORTHEAST PACIFIC. WITH APPROACH OF
LATTER SYSTEM...MID-LEVEL CIRCULATION...NOW DEVELOPING OVER THE
NORTHERN INTERMOUNTAIN REGION...WILL LIFT ACROSS THE NORTHERN
ROCKIES INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS. DOWNSTREAM RIDGING WILL BUILD
ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES REGION...AND MUCH OF THE ATLANTIC SEABOARD.

...SOUTHERN/CENTRAL PLAINS INTO THE MID MISSOURI VALLEY...
EVOLVING LARGE SCALE PATTERN WILL GENERALLY MAINTAIN STEEP LAPSE
RATES FROM THE LEE OF THE ROCKIES THROUGH MUCH OF THE CENTRAL/
SOUTHERN PLAINS...ATOP VERY MOIST RETURN FLOW FROM THE WESTERN GULF
OF MEXICO. TENDENCY WILL BE FOR MOISTURE TO CONTINUE TO DEVELOP
WESTWARD INTO THE HIGH PLAINS...AND BY THE PEAK HEATING HOURS THIS
AFTERNOON...MIXED LAYER CAPE LIKELY WILL AGAIN EXCEED 4000 J/KG
ACROSS MUCH OF THE CENTRAL STATES...AT LEAST IN AREAS NOT AFFECTED
BY EARLY MORNING CONVECTION.
LARGE ONGOING CONVECTIVE CLUSTER ACROSS THE EAST CENTRAL PLAINS IS
EXPECTED TO WEAKEN OVERNIGHT...WITH COLD OUTFLOW SLOWLY SURGING
SOUTHWARD INTO OKLAHOMA...WHERE STRONG MID-LEVEL CAP AND WEAK
MID-LEVEL FORCING ARE EXPECTED TO INHIBIT NEW DEVELOPMENT.
SOUTHWARD PROGRESSION OF CONVECTIVE BOUNDARY THROUGH THE DAY IS
UNCERTAIN...BUT STABILIZING INFLUENCE OF WEAKENING CONVECTIVE SYSTEM
COULD AFFECT A LARGE PART OF EASTERN KANSAS AND OKLAHOMA.
ANOTHER CLUSTER OF STORMS MAY BE ONGOING ACROSS CENTRAL NEBRASKA AT
...WHERE SOUTHERLY LOW-LEVEL JET LIKELY WILL ENHANCE FORCING
ALONG PRIMARY LOW/MID-LEVEL BAROCLINIC ZONE. THIS ACTIVITY MAY
PERSIST THROUGH MUCH OF THE PERIOD...AS LARGE-SCALE PATTERN
MAINTAINS STRONG LOW-LEVEL WARM ADVECTION REGIME.
THUS...STRONGEST SURFACE HEATING/BOUNDARY LAYER DESTABILIZATION
APPEARS LIKELY ACROSS THE HIGH PLAINS...AND PERHAPS CORRIDOR SOUTH
OF SYNOPTIC FRONT ACROSS SOUTHERN/EASTERN NEBRASKA. FRONT...DRY
LINE FROM WESTERN KANSAS INTO SOUTHWEST TEXAS...AND DEVELOPING
LOW-LEVEL CONFLUENCE ZONE ACROSS NORTHWEST TEXAS ALL LIKELY WILL
PROVIDE FOCUS FOR INTENSE CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT AS INHIBITION
WEAKENS BY/SHORTLY AFTER PEAK HEATING.
GIVEN MAGNITUDE OF
INSTABILITY...SHEAR PROFILES WILL BE SUFFICIENT FOR SUPERCELLS WITH
VERY LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING DOWNBURSTS...PERHAPS ISOLATED
TORNADOES.
STRONGER FORCING ASSOCIATED WITH EVOLVING UPPER FLOW PATTERN MAY
ENHANCE CONVECTION SPREADING EAST NORTHEASTWARD ACROSS NEBRASKA INTO
THE MID MISSOURI VALLEY DURING THE LATTER HALF OF THE FORECAST
PERIOD. DEPENDING ON EVOLUTION OF MORNING CLUSTER...AND EXTENT OF
CONVECTION FARTHER SOUTH...ORGANIZED CONVECTIVE SYSTEM WITH BROADER
SCALE DAMAGING WIND THREAT COULD MATERIALIZE AND PERSIST THROUGH
MUCH OF THE NIGHT.
WITH LITTLE MID/UPPER SUPPORT...STRENGTHENING INHIBITION WITH LOSS
OF HEATING WILL ULTIMATELY LEAD TO DEMISE OF STORMS ACROSS THE SOUTH
CENTRAL PLAINS. HOWEVER...THIS MAY BE SLOWED BY NOCTURNAL INCREASE
IN LOW-LEVEL JET...AND MAY NOT OCCUR UNTIL AROUND 06Z OR SHORTLY
THEREAFTER.

**DON'T FORGET TONIGHTS LIVE 3HR VIRTUAL CHASE FROM DANN CIANCA**

The LIVE CHASE begins at 1Z (8EST,7CST,6MST,4PST) and will run for a little over three hours. 1Z will correspond to 22Z of the chase day, 2Z to 23Z and so on. The LIVE CHASE will last a bit over 3 hours with the final results being posted at 430Z (or 130Z chase time). Expect updates every half hour or so during that period.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start this one in Denver, CO and decide in the morning on a w KS or w TX target based on the digging western trough, backing winds and mention of high plains in the discussions.

I'd spend overnight at the Hampton in DDC, sleep in and enjoy their really good Continental Breakfast (so I guess that means I can only sleep in until 9:30). I'll be closely monitoring the boundaries laid down by the overnight and previous days convection, I'd prefer to see the the boundary stall further North and even surge a little North during the Day, as I'd rather have the great thermodynamics further North under stronger upper levels, though I won't hesitate to abandon the Northern Target for the OK/TX panhandle area if by late Morning it becomes apparent things Further North aren't going to destabilize quite enough. Actually I'll be watching NE CO and extreme SW NE real close as well, if it appears a tongue of instability is going to be able to build into that area, I may decide to head there...

I left Leadville earlier in the afternoon and drove out to Colby, Kansas. This will put me in a better position for tomorrow's event rather than leaving Leadville very early in the morning.

I can't make a call right now. SPC is highlighting the southern great plains as a target area, but all the upper level support is way north, and as of the 00Z data, moist return flow doesn't look impressive. There's a weak, if any, LLJ, and areas near the sfc low (like someone highlighted in Wisconsin) look like better places as of now. So, I'm torn between two areas. I'd rather wait for 12Z data before making an early call.

0z pre-chase day position

Based on pre-chase day data, I'll say that I'm staying the night at the Dalton Bedpost Motel (east) in Meade, KS. Anybody stayed there before? Do they have high-speed internet? Anyway, I'll wake up in Meade for the 12z update. I think the cold front will turn back north as a warm front, putting me not too far from the WF/DL/low intersection in the warm sector. Upper level winds could be a bit stronger, but low-level moisture is nosing nnw back up toward the sfc low. We shall see what the morning brings.

Based on pre-chase day data, I'll say that I'm staying the night at the Dalton Bedpost Motel (east) in Meade, KS. Anybody stayed there before? Do they have high-speed internet? Anyway, I'll wake up in Meade for the 12z update. I think the cold front will turn back north as a warm front, putting me not too far from the WF/DL/low intersection in the warm sector. Upper level winds could be a bit stronger, but low-level moisture is nosing nnw back up toward the sfc low. We shall see what the morning brings.

Alright Paul, let's make things more realistic. I'll be staying at the same dumpy motel as you in Meade, KS and we can look over the 12Z update when we wake up tomorrow morning. We may end up going our separate ways, but at least this will be close to realistic. Kai and the gang are with me, so make sure there are enough rooms for 4! See you in the morning.

Alright Paul, let's make things more realistic. I'll be staying at the same dumpy motel as you in Meade, KS and we can look over the 12Z update when we wake up tomorrow morning. We may end up going our separate ways, but at least this will be close to realistic. Kai and the gang are with me, so make sure there are enough rooms for 4! See you in the morning.

If you want to make it more realistic, here's what's gonna happen:
Kai-Asle, Thomas, and Per will be up before the sun peering over data and packing up to depart, even though they have all been up until 5am completing their blogs. This is mostly due to the fact that we just wouldn't give up the pointless chase the night before until 3am. And we don't even have any decent lightning pics to show for it. We took the only rooms we could find within a 50 mile radius and ate the closest thing to food we could find at that late hour. I'll be getting up just in time to look at the 12z data, but I'll be going back to sleep for a least a couple more hours. You'll ask me what I think about a target, but you won't even look at the monitor to see if you agree until at least another hour or two has passed. Ultimately, we won't be leaving until the motel staff is ready to charge us for another night. The Danes will be breakfast-fed and ready to go, and we'll all be "bleary-eyed" and starving. :p

I'll start this one in Denver, CO and decide in the morning on a w KS or w TX target based on the digging western trough, backing winds and mention of high plains in the discussions.

Got room in the car, Verne? I'm feeling lazy today. Think I'll just hitch a ride and let you do the decision making. I'll buy Arby's ...

Back