CHASE CASE 1

Initiation SW of Kadoka! It was nice sitting alone in Kadoka for a while, but it seems to have become a popular spot since the 15z update!! I was all along this morning, but now the town is hopping with chasers.

Looks like a lone supercell developing just to the southwest. Looks like it'll move just south of Kadoka, maybe toward Kyle or Wanblee (wasn't there a tornadic supercell a few years back near Wanblee? Could this be it?). Anyway, I'm off to intercept that storm!

Vis sat has some healthy towers going up off the Black Hills, and radar confirms initiation. I'm continuing west on hwy 18 out of Mission in the direction towards Martin, SD (to bad I won't have time to stop for a picture of me with the town sign) but I intend to only go as far as hwy 73 and then turn north (if needed) to stay just on the south side of that southernmost cell. Figure I should be at hwy 18/hwy 73 in an hour, and then it's only another half hour north to Long Valley.

THERE WILL BE NO MORE UPDATES UNTIL THIS EVENING WHEN THE REST OF THE CHASERS HAVE A CHANCE TO ADJUST POSITION FROM THE 21Z UPDATE.

MUM'S THE WORD IF YOU KNOW THE DATE. . .

**TORNADO WARNING**

TORNADO WARNING FOR CAMPBELL COUNTY WYOMING. TORNADO REPORTED ON GROUND FROM 430 PM MDT THROUGH 440 PM MDT 10 MILES NORTHEAST OF RECLUSE. (UNR)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am peeling off I80 and heading north on 183. Don't think I can catch up to the action that looks like it will be to my north, but going to take a shot at it...

Watching and waiting in O'Neil. To think I'm this far away from home only to have a tornado about 30 miles to the north of where I live and my home in the center of the tornado watch that's up for MN.

I was already heading west on I-90 watching the towers to the west. Now I'm stair-stepping down to Kyle, SD just west of American Horse Creek road. I'll be setting up my tripod on arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:
Initiation to my southwest heading south on 73 out of Kadoka and will likely head west on 44 a bit and move west of Wanblee possibly to Potato Creek, SD and watch to see which cell becomes dominant!

I'm really trying to backtrack W on 90 out of Presho as fast as possible. I'm definitely behind schedule and am hoping to get to Kadoka to drop S on 73 to Wanblee. It's an hour drive though so if tornadoes produce before 22z then I'm going to miss out. Fingers crossed...

I am moving west from Reliance to Kadoka and will move from there if needed. I was not expecting a tornado in WI. This day seems so familiar to me.

Going to move a bit west and north to White River, SD...ok road options here and waiting on the latest vis sat and radar data......

I will also not be home this evening so I will play White River, SD as my final target...thanks again Matt for this case study!

As I sit in Murdo, SD I can see that stuff has fired to the west. Don't want to go too far west since the best moisture is still on an axis through NC Neb and SC SD, but I'll start heading west to meet the convection half way.

I won't be home this evening, so you can show my position going into the live chase as Long Valley, SD. I figure if there is anything that happens by 23z within 30-45 minutes of that location, I should be on it. If not, oh well, I'll be able to check in the morning and lick my wounds.

Back