Chase behavior on the road

Point being - chasing in groups is a simple and effective way to counter the current Admini- er, gas prices.
[/b]

I am with you on that thought Shane, but I would submit that most of the time that isn't practical for those of us who don't live in central OK where there is a greater concentration of chasers. I am lucky I have a partner that can go much of the time, but he has school restrictions and whatnot that keep him from going sometimes.
Speaking just for me, if Graham can't go, it would often be a several hundred mile drive before I could even PICK UP a partner, and then depending on where I end up, it is probably out of the way home to drop them off again.

The logisics of partners can be a pain when some of them are bound by other obligations that are often not convenient for mother nature's objective any given day, especially those of us that live in the more remote areas of the alley.

Looks like I am about 3 pages late getting into this one.
I'm on board with Shane's original post. I don't see anything wrong with speeding as long as you aren't seriously jeopardizing someone elses life. If I am on a tornadic storm, right or wrong, traffic laws are the last thing on my mind. I go as fast as I think I need to (the limiting factor being my Jeep will fall apart or explode before I hit 95mph).
As far as having lights on the car goes, I don't do it and I think you look like a jackass unless you're driving a DOW, but whatever floats your boat. It probably isn't a good idea to speed with the lights on though.

My opinion about the decorated vehicle is: Looks silly and makes me embarrassed for whoever's driving it, but to each their own.

My opinion on speeding near a tornadic storm: As long as I'm not putting anyone other than myself in danger, I'm speeding. If I'm on an open stretch of road, and you're in front of me and holding me up from the speed I want to drive to get to the tornadic storm, I'm going to blow by you like Stroker Ace. If this pisses you off, then you can sit there and stew about it...I'm going to get myself a tornado. I am an extremely cautious and courteous driver in everyday life, and also in chasing. However, in situations where a tornado is near and I may or may not see it by a matter of a few minutes, I'm going to drive as fast as I feel safe driving to get there. I don't drive off road, I don't run up on people and flash my lights, and I don't pass on blind hills or curves. I wait for the right opportunity and then I am GONE. So to close, I have no problem with excessive speed being used to get to a tornado, as long as it doesn't involve wrecklessness. I passed three chasers at once on the Beatrice day on a long flat stretch of highway, about a mile long. I'm sure there were some choice words for me blasting by a string of cars at 80mph - but I could care less.

I guess what I'm really trying to say here is: I'm gonna speed around anyone in front of me who's holding me up from the speed I want to go, and I don't need a fancy light-laden rig to do it.
[/b]

Hammer, meet nail. Nail, hammer.

Spot on, Shane. It all comes down to this. Know your vehicle, know your conditions, know your abilities (honestly, truly, really know your abilities). Drive within your capabilities, vehicle, and conditions, and you'll be fine.

...and I have to agree on all the stickers and lights and stuff shellacked on the vehicle. To each their own, but there comes a point where it gets a little ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

"the speed limit is 55 i'm gonna drive 65 or maybe faster, so what one of you decide to call me in I have no problem paying my $100 ticke"

If you consider 65 in a 55 to be reckless driving and potentially deadly to other cars - you haven't driven in a real city yet ;>
[/b]

Or, you could drive in Michigan where the speed limit is 70MPH, and everyone is scooting along at 85-95MPH (I-75). At that point, it's almost dangerous to go the speed limit (god forbid the speed MINIMUM) because everyone else is moving so much faster.

Anyway, I agree with Shane... But I had to put this in here, because it's just so damn funny:

If I'm on an open stretch of road, and you're in front of me and holding me up from the speed I want to drive to get to the tornadic storm, I'm going to blow by you like Stroker Ace. If this pisses you off, then you can sit there and stew about it...I'm going to get myself a tornado. [/b]

Back