Chase behavior on the road

Interesting responses… Certainly I'm no saint and I don't advocate policing people or becoming a snitch. I'm a card-carrying gadget freak myself and I think warning lights are right up there with buttered bread. Sure I could happily go about my business and ignore everything else but the storm. It's just that I'd like to still be chasing 5-10 years from now, something that regulations could put a serious damper on; (paranoia).
I also don't want to see an innocent bystander get hurt.

Nuff said. I'm ready to chase!

I have found this to be an interesting topic to follow. Never before have I heard or thought of the idea of chasing being made illegal. Just curious is this just something that everyone is concerned about and trying to prevent it from ever becoming an issuse, or has it been mentioned in some states legislature or something? Is it really that large of a concern? I cant imagine a law agianst chasing storms ever making it to the books.

I guess one thing you can thank those that have all the flash and show on their vehicles.....it keeps the klingons from following the rest of you around because they follow those vehicles and when there are lots of chasers in a parking lot, all the ones with the annoying questions usually head for the flashiest vehicles.

I have found this to be an interesting topic to follow. Never before have I heard or thought of the idea of chasing being made illegal. Just curious is this just something that everyone is concerned about and trying to prevent it from ever becoming an issuse, or has it been mentioned in some states legislature or something? Is it really that large of a concern? I cant imagine a law agianst chasing storms ever making it to the books.
[/b]

It's something that is brought up almost every spring about this time (after the first couple of chases). You can probably find a thread or two in the archives about this... Personally, I don't see how any law could be passed that would tell me that I can't drive near storms. There wouldn't be any real way to define a 'chaser', and, unless you're blocking traffic, immitating emergency services, or something along those lines (which are already illegal), you wouldn't be doing anything inherently wrong or dangerous. There can't be laws that say that it is illegal to drive to malls on Saturdays, just as there won't be laws to say that we can't drive around storms. Again, this is not to say that blocking traffic, driving carelessly or recklessly, or other action that can cause enhanced danger to life or property (and that can get in the way of law enforecement or emergency services) is acceptable. Safely manuevering around storms? Telling you that it's illegal to take pictures of wildflowers in June? Forbidding you from looking at the stars during a full moon? Never going to be legistlated upon...

My opinion about the decorated vehicle is: Looks silly and makes me embarrassed for whoever's driving it, but to each their own.

My opinion on speeding near a tornadic storm: As long as I'm not putting anyone other than myself in danger, I'm speeding. If I'm on an open stretch of road, and you're in front of me and holding me up from the speed I want to drive to get to the tornadic storm, I'm going to blow by you like Stroker Ace. If this pisses you off, then you can sit there and stew about it...I'm going to get myself a tornado. I am an extremely cautious and courteous driver in everyday life, and also in chasing. However, in situations where a tornado is near and I may or may not see it by a matter of a few minutes, I'm going to drive as fast as I feel safe driving to get there. I don't drive off road, I don't run up on people and flash my lights, and I don't pass on blind hills or curves. I wait for the right opportunity and then I am GONE. So to close, I have no problem with excessive speed being used to get to a tornado, as long as it doesn't involve wrecklessness. I passed three chasers at once on the Beatrice day on a long flat stretch of highway, about a mile long. I'm sure there were some choice words for me blasting by a string of cars at 80mph - but I could care less.

I guess what I'm really trying to say here is: I'm gonna speed around anyone in front of me who's holding me up from the speed I want to go, and I don't need a fancy light-laden rig to do it.

All valid points on here.

I have a question, and obviously the answer could depend on what state you're in: what is the legality of using a mobile (cell) phone whilst driving, without any "hands free" kit attached - i.e. just holding the phone and talking?

Here in the UK, it is now illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving, without a hands free kit. The fine is £1000, and you could get 3 "penalty points" on your license (penalty points are given for things like speeding, dangerous driving, etc etc. 12 points means you lose your license for a while).

Often whilst chasing in the US, we've seen people with both hands off the wheel, using a camera!

Aside from the whole concept that someone is going to actually expend the efforts to try and regulate something that would be, as whole, unenforcable, being utterly ridiculous......Most of you won't have to worry about this in a couple years.

The cost of fuel to chase in a couple or three years well over $4.00/gal, maybe over $5/gal will regulate 90% of the chasers right off the roads anyway. The only one's chasing will be the ones making money from it (i.e. TV stations etc) and the 1 or 2 chasers that are very well off. All the rest of us will be completely shut down to VERY LOCAL chases or non and all. You're going to be doing good just to be able to afford gas to get to work and back, muchless go out and chase down condensed water vapor.

Going to be like the WW2 days.... "Is this trip really necessary?"

I hope that post was in jest... To think that nobody will leave their city for any trip in 2-3 years, even if gas does reach those prices, seems to be a bit off the wall. I would venture to say there are MANY MANY more chasers now than 5 years ago when gas was $1.25 a gallon. So it's nearly tripled, yet the chaser count has gone up. Thinking that people will stop using their car for more than going to work, and will barely be able to afford that, doesn't seem like a conclusion based on reality.

I hope that post was in jest... To think that nobody will leave their city for any trip in 2-3 years, even if gas does reach those prices, seems to be a bit off the wall. I would venture to say there are MANY MANY more chasers now than 5 years ago when gas was $1.25 a gallon. So it's nearly tripled, yet the chaser count has gone up. Thinking that people will stop using their car for more than going to work, and will barely be able to afford that, doesn't seem like a conclusion based on reality.
[/b]

Im wondering your age and generation? Or maybe your memory doesnt serve you very well.. As those of us in our late 30's + remember gas lines and when the economy was in the toilet. We didnt do alot outside of the home, as I remember.

I think the point is it costs me about 50$ roughly to fill my tank.. When it starts gettign 60 - 70 I will cut back even further than I am now. Will I still chase? Of course.. But limitedly..

Im living paycheck to paycheck like the next guy and the cost of fuel is an inflationary mechanism that has a more far reaching impact on cost of living than just my storm chasing..

[/b]

It's wasn't in jest in the least, and was very much a reality. I never said anyone wouldn't leave their city for any trip. But I think people are going to start making those trips count. Really cut down on them. Let's face it, for most chasers, storm chasing is purely a recreational activity. Frequent long recreational trips will be the first things you will start cutting out when your examining your personal budget.

As Fred already pointed out....and I remember very well even though I wasn't driving at the time. Stations had limited supplies of gas, you waited in LONG lines for gas IF it was the correct day for according to your license plate number. And this was when gas was MUCH cheaper than it is now.

I know that the whole situation is different today, but if you don't think long lines, gas outages and gas rationing is in your future, your kidding yourself. Just look back when the hurricanes hit last summer. Even in my small town here outside of Lubbock, there were gas lines BLOCKS long, until they ran out of gas.

Now I don't know what your chase strategy is, but when I am on a chase, I don't have time to sit around in long lines at some town in KS just to filll up and get on down the road while those towers are going up. And that is IF that small town you stopped in didn't have a line at it or was out of gas.

There is also the fact that a vast majority of storm chasers are of the younger crowd, many of them students on very limited budgets. How long do you think they can afford to pay the prices that are now almost rising BY THE DAY?

Oh I very much believe the gas prices are going to weed out a lot of storm chaser by necessity, and in turn probably most of the behavior that is being complained about as well. Less chasers on the road, less chance of bad driving, less chaser out to call the snitch line on them too. Never mind the cost of pretty much everything else related to chasing going up, up and up.

I am probably one of the most dedicated chasers out there, and I can honestly tell you that the gas cost chasing is not only hurting my wallet, but affecting what systems I will and will not chase. Perhaps your financially well of rdale and can afford many trips costing in excess of $100 a day to go chasing, and if you are THAT'S GREAT! But I would suggest that the largest part of the chase community is not in that situation.

I'm sure it could cut down on some - but 90%? No way. Gas rationing? Nada. It's not a supply issue.

We're all just suffering while the pockets are being lined and the futures secured. You don't make almost double your annual average profit in the first quarter alone by "passing on the savings." Less than two years to go.

I didn't mean to turn this into another gas thread. Just presenting the idea that ever increasing gas prices would be limiting chasing activities more than anything else will. Limiting chase activites by default should limit those out there to behave differently than some people think they should.

I'm sure most of us will be taking a second and third look at the set-up before running out the door. I was getting excited about the season thinking gas would peak at $2.45 in May and then make a slow push down. Now it is well above that level and Katrina Part Deux could be in the works later this summer. Chase partner pools are definately the way to go this year. If you arn't in a rush to the target zone that taking a 60/65 mph zone is more fuel efficient than taking the 70/75 mph freeway. Keeping this post in relation to the thread title, avoiding speeding will save a little on fuel and much larger expenses with a ticket and insurance should you get nailed.

I should also add that I'm very lucky to have the chase partners I do, who've told me that even on days when I'm strapped, I won't be left behind. We all carry each other when one of us is down, although lately it seems the one who's down is usually me LOL. But everything eventually comes around and my chase bros know I have their backs.

Point being - chasing in groups is a simple and effective way to counter the current Admini- er, gas prices.

Back